Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

I think it depends on the hotel and it's location.  The largest one in Berlin is mid-rise (roughly 8-10 story) but is architecturally stunning and has great rooms with almost unparalleled city views  (I've definitely said this before lol).  The Oceanfront one in VB is very nice inside and very... oceanfront-hotel-ish on the outisde, but far better than its surroundings.

I hope the designers of the Norfolk one will draw inspiration from the city itself.  I don't know whether or not I'd love to see a modern, glass tower or a traditional stone-faced tower.  Glass would be fun though.... :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well we know for a fact that hey are incorporating the facades of Pete Deckers building and Beecroft and Bull into the overall design. So we can expect the hotel to follow along the lines of early 1900's architecture and will probably be brick, stone, or some combination thereof on the outside. I think there is a real chance for this to turn into an aesthetically pleasing hotel.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we know for a fact that hey are incorporating the facades of Pete Deckers building and Beecroft and Bull into the overall design. So we can expect the hotel to follow along the lines of early 1900's architecture and will probably be brick, stone, or some combination thereof on the outside. I think there is a real chance for this to turn into an aesthetically pleasing hotel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm.... :) I like that style---though I also like modern. My tastes are varied, but something classical can't go wrong. Well... It can but it won't, knock on wood.

Something that is aesthetically similar to the New York Life Building (though CLEARLY not on such a scale) or another building like that in design. I love the lines, the shapes, etc.

I need a picture lol. "this building" + "this building" = what I want. lol

'K I found some pics for ideas as to what the building could be.

nyc20life20insurance20bdg20ansicht.jpg

The New York Life Building, New York, New York

Lovely, elegant, HUGE. I like the lines of the building and the roof structure. It's design would mix well with the surroundings of DT Norfolk.

buildings-2.jpg

Buildings whose names I forget in Boston, MA.

I like their cylindrical shape (unique) and the exterior design. Their height (40-50 floors) could easily be lowered by about 10-15 and therefore be feasable in Norfolk's DT.

hilton_berlin_hotel.jpg

Even though it's hard to tell from this distance... the exterior facade of the Hilton in Berlin, Germany is very elegant. It has traditional European architecture with columns and richly appointed facades. It's just very elegant when walking along the street around it----just so you guys know I didn't make this building up.

Either the NY Life Building or the tower in Boston would be interesting options as far as style of the new Hilton... even though neither building is ACTUALLY a Hilton Hotel, haha.

I wonder if this is worth talking about until the city says something about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's always worth talking about, thats our sole reason for existence :lol: . I wouldn't worry, i think it's gonna happen. When the plans finally do come out you'll know, cause the forum will absolutely blow up. :rofl:

Lovely, elegant, HUGE.  I like the lines of the building and the roof structure.  It's design would mix well with the surroundings of DT Norfolk.

buildings-2.jpg

I like their cylindrical shape (unique) and the exterior design.  Their height (40-50 floors) could easily be lowered by about 10-15 and therefore be feasable in Norfolk's DT.

hilton_berlin_hotel.jpg

Even though it's hard to tell from this distance... the exterior facade of the Hilton in Berlin, Germany is very elegant.  It has traditional European architecture with columns and richly appointed facades.  It's just very elegant when walking along the street around it----just so you guys know I didn't make this building up.

Either the NY Life Building or the tower in Boston would be interesting options as far as style of the new Hilton... even though neither building is ACTUALLY a Hilton Hotel, haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really doubt it will look like any of those buildings. Who knows but i hope that it will have some unique architecture due to the long wait on this project.

Lovely, elegant, HUGE.  I like the lines of the building and the roof structure.  It's design would mix well with the surroundings of DT Norfolk.

buildings-2.jpg

I like their cylindrical shape (unique) and the exterior design.  Their height (40-50 floors) could easily be lowered by about 10-15 and therefore be feasable in Norfolk's DT.

hilton_berlin_hotel.jpg

Even though it's hard to tell from this distance... the exterior facade of the Hilton in Berlin, Germany is very elegant.  It has traditional European architecture with columns and richly appointed facades.  It's just very elegant when walking along the street around it----just so you guys know I didn't make this building up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the New York life building would be a great model to follow.

I really doubt it will look like any of those buildings. Who knows but i hope that it will have some unique architecture due to the long wait on this project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I DEFINITELY wasn't going for exact replication, just examples of what it could be and certain design elements I think would mix well. I really hope it's something unique and not just another big, white box thing.

I really think it should look different as possible so it could be a building that is recognized as it is a building from Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree... but Hiltons tend to blend, not stand out. As long as it compliments the skyline and is TALLER THAN SIXTEEN FLOORS (ahem) I think it'll be a quite nice addition.

Not that I wouldn't mind a distinctive, gorgeous landmark.

I agree... but Hiltons tend to blend, not stand out.  As long as it compliments the skyline and is TALLER THAN SIXTEEN FLOORS (ahem) I think it'll be a quite nice addition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, 16 floors is a bit **cough** paltry.

if you want me to be really honest, 16 floors will still put a nice showing for the city. Look at whats there now, 3 or 4 floor buildings. 16 strories will still look nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but with the small footprint and the promise of 250 or more rooms, it has to be higher than that... *shrugs* as long as it's complimentary--I'm happy.

True, but with the small footprint and the promise of 250 or more rooms, it has to be higher than that... *shrugs*  as long as it's complimentary--I'm happy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember that the footprint is in an "L" shape, so the footprint won't be THAT small. I'm thinking something like the Mariott's footprint.

Perhaps the hold-up has to do with the possible addition of condos above the hotel. With the demand in DT, it would likely make sense to do something to that effect to help with the financing costs (yes I know he doesn't need to finance anything, but lesson one of any business is never put up your own money if you can absolutely avoid it.), and perhaps the original plans did not call for condos. Anyway, the maximum I could see this building being is about 22-24, but its likely to be 20.

Perhaps the hold-up has to do with the possible addition of condos above the hotel. With the demand in DT, it would likely make sense to do something to that effect to help with the financing costs (yes I know he doesn't need to finance anything, but lesson one of any business is never put up your own money if you can absolutely avoid it.), and perhaps the original plans did not call for condos. Anyway, the maximum I could see this building being is about 22-24, but its likely to be 20.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I'm told, that is the hold-up: the condos. And don't forget how complicated a project like this is. The relocation of many utilities, the relocation and demolition of many businesses, Trader going up right across the street, a hotel/condo, etc. The most curious thing is that there is still no agreement between the developer and the city, which I don't have an answer for. This is much more complicated than just a simple office building or hotel.

From what I'm told, that is the hold-up: the condos. And don't forget how complicated a project like this is. The relocation of many utilities, the relocation and demolition of many businesses, Trader going up right across the street, a hotel/condo, etc. The most curious thing is that there is still no agreement between the developer and the city, which I don't have an answer for. This is much more complicated than just a simple office building or hotel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would think that the addition of condos would make it easier for them to come up with an agreement because the addition of condos would make the entire project much less risky to the developer. The city has already ponied up the moned for the conference center, so we know thats not it. Hopefully soon we'll hear something. Even if there is no agreement they shold at least toss us a bone as to possible design.

There is an opinion article in todays pilot that is not online so i can't really post it. It's dealing with Norfolks NET service but there is one particular paragraph that puzzles me.

"The community college is expanding. A 21-story office tower and a curise terminal are rising within in a few blocks of each other. Following in their wake is a 20-to 25-story convention hotel and a 31-story condo."

Do they know something that we don't? This is the first time the pilot has mentioned a height in relation to this project in months and the last time they did they put it at a solid 25+. Since all the other heights listed are the most recent updated ones i would presume (read hope) that they did their homework. I know that we've batted around 16-18 here for a few months but it appears their info puts it at 20-25. I know that letter from the Vice Mayor says that 25 is still a possibility and i'm wondering if this article could be a slight comfirmation of that. Are we perhaps out of the woods with this thing being ridiculously short? Does this mean that the condo component is definately a go?

There is an opinion article in todays pilot that is not online so i can't really post it. It's dealing with Norfolks NET service but there is one particular paragraph that puzzles me.

"The community college is expanding. A 21-story office tower and a curise terminal are rising within in a few blocks of each other. Following in their wake is a 20-to 25-story convention hotel and a 31-story condo."

Do they know something that we don't? This is the first time the pilot has mentioned a height in relation to this project in months and the last time they did they put it at a solid 25+. Since all the other heights listed are the most recent updated ones i would presume (read hope) that they did their homework. I know that we've batted around 16-18 here for a few months but it appears their info puts it at 20-25. I know that letter from the Vice Mayor says that 25 is still a possibility and i'm wondering if this article could be a slight comfirmation of that. Are we perhaps out of the woods with this thing being ridiculously short? Does this mean that the condo component is definately a go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...that is interesting indeed. It still doesn't say anything about a potential agreement between the city and the developer. I honestly think they took the old numbers that were originally published last summer and put them in there. I remember last summer the numbers 20 and 25 were thrown around...

• 2 weeks later...

you think they will actually build the hilton??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's pretty much a guarantee. All the tenants have been told to move and all necessary property has been bought. We think whats holding it up is the condo component.

Archived