Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should have done this on Church st. instead of those suburban houses they put there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to agree with that. Still, i'm glad that "something" is happening with chuch street.

And then there was the infamous Norfolk Gardens that was going to be 33 stories (this was pre-MacArthur though) and have hotel, apartments, and lots of buildings... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could have gone through life not knowing that they even considered this :angry: . I guess there is no reason to get disappointed years after the fact but damn, a 33 story building sure would've been nice. What the heck happened to this project? At least Granby appears to be on extremely solid ground and i have no doubt that this one will happen.

I could have gone through life not knowing that they even considered this  :angry: . I guess there is no reason to get disappointed years after the fact but damn, a 33 story building sure would've been nice. What the heck happened to this project? At least Granby appears to be on extremely solid ground and i have no doubt that this one will happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that one in the paper and have OCCASIONALLY heard people mention something about it. It was supposed to be a complex with more than one building. We're better off without it, I'm sure. Big complexes of all the same buildings can look very odd (ever seen Albany NY?).

Beecroft & Bull has announced plans to close its Norfolk store and will hold a closing sale this week. The store, at 200 E. Main Street, is on property owned by city and targeted for the development of a Hilton hotel and conference center....Full Story :D:D:D .

It appears that reports of a June start for site work may be true. I would hate to think that we have to wait for them to finish building the damn thing before we get a rendering though <_< .

hey Vdogg, I haven't read through each of these postings recently and this may already have been asked but have you asked the city if/when a rendering may be available?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My last correspondance with the city was with the vice mayors office and i think i posted that earlier in the thread. About the most newsworthy thing they had to say was that 25 stories was still a possibility but beyond that not much else in detail. They also mentioned the possibility of a condo component which has been mentioned by 2 other forumers sources here so i think that will probably come to fruition. I will try to send the Vice Mayor another email tommorrow. I don't want to do it tonight because i want to give the pilot a chance to post the full story (which they probably will by tommorrow morning). There may be further details than what has been posted in that little snippet.

I'll ask my friend at Norfolk Planning about a rendering. I'm thinking that this is still in the design phase though, but who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of me is wondering that too but still, how hard can it be to design a freaking hotel?

It's not like they're putting up one of the 7 wonders of the world. This project is already 9 months behind from when they were supposed to have a formal announcement. I think it's about that time.

Yeah enough delays already!  This isn't the Freedom Tower over here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL!! Great comment! :lol: Yeah you would think a hotel wouldn't take so long, but from what i've been told, it is rather complex. This is what my friend at Norfolk planning said a while ago when I asked him about the project:

"The site is also fairly complicated. There have been several acquisitions to finish out the available footprint and some utilities will have to be relocated. Even when the project is officially a

LOL!! Great comment!  :lol:  Yeah you would think a hotel wouldn't take so long, but from what i've been told, it is rather complex. This is what my friend at Norfolk planning said a while ago when I asked him about the project:

"The site is also fairly complicated. There have been several acquisitions to finish out the available footprint and some utilities will have to be relocated. Even when the project is officially a

There might be utility issues and they might be waiting for Traders progress to pickup and possibly waiting for the completion so that block there is not completely down. Also, the developer might not want condos or they are not sure how many to put there.

There might be utility issues and they might be waiting for Traders progress to pickup and possibly waiting for the completion so that block there is not completely down. Also, the developer might not want condos or they are not sure how many to put there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it would be the developer not the city that would have brought up the condo idea so there must be some interest in it. Also, i know for a fact that there were utility issues but i believe a lot of that was taken care of when they relocated utilities for the Trader tower. Any work done next month would most likely be initial site work and preparation for demolition.

My friend said that no renderings were ever released, and there is still no agreement between the city and the developer on the Hilton Hotel.

Still no agreement. damn, johnson must be asking a fortune or something....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well to be fair Trader Tower site work began before an agreement was signed. And as far as a rendering, I knew one hadn't been released, I was just wondering when one might be availiable. Still no word from Daun Hester yet but as soon as they respond i'll let you know.

Well to be fair Trader Tower site work began before an agreement was signed. And as far as a rendering, I knew one hadn't been released, I was just wondering when one might be availiable. Still no word from Daun Hester yet but as soon as they respond i'll let you know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She won't tell you anything you don't already know.

She won't tell you anything you don't already know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is plenty she can tell me that does not reveal the details of the project. Mostly i'm just looking for a confirmation of the beginning of site work/demolition work. That is not covered under any secrecy clause.

Reply from vice mayors office:

"There has been no formal announcement about the Hilton Project as of

yet; as soon as I hear of something I'll let you know."

translation: They have made NO progress since we last spoke to you.

Oh well. Heres to hoping it starts sometime this year :rolleyes: .

Archived