Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

I am glad you know. I am sure there are a lot of firms to be chosen. Thanks for the input. I have not had a lot of time to keep up with all that is going on and barley time to read this forum much less anything else right now. Keep us in the loop producer.

Was the "barley time" quote just a Freudian slip? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I did happen to see a 3d image of DT in a recent TV report on the Signature. The shot was done by the city and shows the Pinnacle tower along with a very tall CC hotel somewhere int he range of 30 stories. This has been a while but this tower will be large.

do you remember where you saw this report. i'd love to see that.

Word on the street is that there will be two CC hotels. So, we may have two high-rise properties here rather than one. Certainly good news if this is the case.

Let's hope this isn't another 300-400 foot flatliner to add to the pile. If so I am sure there will be a collective yawwwwwnnnnn on here with the biggest being from me. If two towers are being proposed then there is little reason not to go with one 600+ footer instead of two 300 footers. I get the feeling that unless TG is involved it will be another gutless project much like Pinnacle (a nice building but it didn't break any new barriers).

do you remember where you saw this report. i'd love to see that.

It was on Channel 2 I think about a month or so ago. You guys will have to start keeping me up to date. Just when I think things slow down a little I get phone calls for more work. Up at 3 and home at 8pm. Now I dont have time to watch the news. :cry::cry:

I agree Plasticman. But the reason for 2 300ft hotels rather than 1 600ft is monetary obviously. We need some height to our downtown, and I hope we take advantage of this opportunity and build height.

I'm hoping for two 600 footers to help balance out Signature Tower, which I still think has a good chance of getting built. Just call me greedy.

So, Clark Construction Group has been awarded the contract to design/build the Convention Center. Do we know if they were selected partly based on renderings not seen by the public and there is already a general idea of what the design will consist of/look like? Or are they just starting fresh now? Just wondered if anyone has any insight.

thx

So, Clark Construction Group has been awarded the contract to design/build the Convention Center. Do we know if they were selected partly based on renderings not seen by the public and there is already a general idea of what the design will consist of/look like? Or are they just starting fresh now? Just wondered if anyone has any insight.

thx

No renderings... Selection purely on qualifications and experience. Starting fresh and will work toward a guaranteed maximum price with Turner Universal as the owner's rep.

I wish they could have come up with a more striking name than Music City Center. It sounds really dull. They should come up with a name that if someone in California said the name, they would automatically think of Nashville. If I were discussing Music City Center to my friend in New York, they would say "where the hell is that?"

I wish they could have come up with a more striking name than Music City Center. It sounds really dull. They should come up with a name that if someone in California said the name, they would automatically think of Nashville. If I were discussing Music City Center to my friend in New York, they would say "where the hell is that?"

i think it should be NASHVILLE CONVENTION CENTER!!!!!!! it would be hard to forget a name that yells at you. :whistling::P

but seriously, i agree. it does seem somewhat bland and generic. maybe they should have a naming poll. we do want something that will pop out and really stick with people.

I've been a long time reader of this site but havent posted before... I want to chime in here with a current opinion.

I find nothing wrong with Music City Center. I'm currently in Manchester, UK and had one of my trainees inquire about where I am from. After mentioning Nashville... he asked if that wasnt referred to as "Music City"...it is a known brand to many people around the world.

As Nashvillians, I suppose we pride ourselves in our city name (are we still miffed that our NFL team doesnt contain our city name? perhaps a bit, but alas)..as we should, but we shouldnt shy away from the fact that many people still recognize the "Music City, USA" slogan...

I'm all for the Music City Center... people will still be coming to Nashville and will associate Nashville with music.

i'm not against having the name music city in it. music city IS nashville. however, music city center just sounds bland. incorporating music city in the name is great, but i'd rather see it used in a better way. now just don't ask me how. haha.

By comparison NY has the Jacob Javitz Center, and Chicago has McCormick Place, named after Cyrus McCormick, the original publisher of the Chicago Tribune. At least Music City Center is not a vanity thing or a corporate branding thing.

By comparison NY has the Jacob Javitz Center, and Chicago has McCormick Place, named after Cyrus McCormick, the original publisher of the Chicago Tribune. At least Music City Center is not a vanity thing or a corporate branding thing.

i agree, i wouldn't know where either of those places were (well except mccormick, but i'm not sure why i know that). i agree that music city center could be worse, i just hope they don't settle with that.