Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

From the Nashville Post:

The Music City Center will see an exterior expansion of its Davidson Ballroom concourse space.

Thomas Constructors is overseeing the job, with a recently issued permit valued at $1.67 million.

The job specifically involves pre-function space.

Looking east along KVB:

MCC KVB side remodel, May 2, 2017.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Will all that empty space remain between the roof of the addition and the MCC roof overhang?      Seems a little odd, although it might make an ideal new home for downtown pigeons.    

I would hope that the expansion would attempt to be as thematic (as practical) with the current plant, yet incorporate some type of translucent/transparent curtain wall to at least enclose that space within the interior, even to the extent of including some sort of mezzanine for lofty retail/preparation space.  But for certain, a curtain wall, at the very least.  I'm almost certain that the conceptualization is available somewhere and that it will adapt seamlessly, rather than be tacky (which I just can't see happening with the MCC)

• Like 2

Why, that just breaks my pea-pickin' heart, that this would be what's settled for.   They had the potential of creatively utilizing that "North by Northwest" corner to greatly enhance the overall structure and maintaining the continuum of the serpentine roof line.

It's just my unsolicited opinion, but I really think that this is mistake ─ like tacked on flats as annexes, more of a "DEtraction" than an ATtraction to the overall theme of the MCC.  I guess I should be whooped totally for envisioning a transparent-panel vertical wall extending to the existing roof line overhang, and with glass to match the upper contour.  The roofs of flats are going to look like crap within a few years, guaranteed, especially from the vantage points of other towers nearby overlooking that portion of MCC.  Oh well, yet another incarnation of the glass box.:huh:

57 minutes ago, rookzie said:

Why, that just breaks my pea-pickin' heart, that this would be what's settled for.   They had the potential of creatively utilizing that "North by Northwest" corner to greatly enhance the overall structure and maintaining the continuum of the serpentine roof line.

It's just my unsolicited opinion, but I really think that this is mistake ─ like tacked on flats as annexes, more of a "DEtraction" than an ATtraction to the overall theme of the MCC.  I guess I should be whooped totally for envisioning a transparent-panel vertical wall extending to the existing roof line overhang, and with glass to match the upper contour.  The roofs of flats are going to look like crap within a few years, guaranteed, especially from the vantage points of other towers nearby overlooking that portion of MCC.  Oh well, yet another incarnation of the glass box.:huh:

There's a lot they didn't think about when designing the MCC...especially the fact that wrapping the structure in retail would have been ideal for the area.  Already, they're adding on in ways that will detract, instead of add, to the beauty of the building.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Wow that is impressive. do we know how much of the $685MM has been paid off at this point?

Would like to have hotel/motel taxes be used for renovations to Nissan Stadium and Bridgestone Arena, as well as mass transit. 

Check page 26 of this link for the debt payoff schedule.

http://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/sites/default/files/media/Quarterly Reports/fy_2015-2016_audit.pdf

Payoffs in the first few years are quite small, then elevate in the 2020's. They can(and most likely will) refinance the debt when eligible (in 2024 I believe).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^I hate that they're messing with the facade and nice pedestrian area in front of the MCC...but glad there will be something that can service people in the area.

It was a lovely plaza and open space, but I pass it every day and hardly ever (maybe never) saw it being utilized. While it was nice to look at, I can't argue with them changing things up in order to get some quantifiable value out of the space.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 7:39 AM, markhollin said:

Update on NW side expansion. Glass going in.  I think it is going to be fine.

Looking SW along Demonbreun from near intersection with 7th Ave. South:

MCC NW expansion 1, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

MCC NW expansion 2, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

I agree, I know that some felt that this would detract from the look but I was downtown last Saturday and passed the MCC  and believe that they have done a good job and added some much requested options.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The city board that oversees the Music City Center convention hall is looking to buy a 0.79-acre vacant nearby site in the area south of Broadway for $5.15 million.

On Thursday, Metro's Convention Center Authority voted to move forward with the purchase at that price, which equates to roughly $150 a square foot. Initial plans calls for using the site at 424 Lafayette St., across from the Greyhound Bus Terminal, as a marshalling yard and for additional parking.

In the future, the property fronting Lafayette Street, Elm Street and Fifth Avenue South could potentially serve Metro's needs as the city explores various transit options.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/05/music-city-center-board-approves-5-15-million-sobro-land-purchase/735579001/

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20978241/convention-authority-to-buy-sobro-parcel-for-515m

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 12.09.45 PM.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...