Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

put this under the More you know category:     NC has adopted the spelling like most parts of the world for sweetpotatoes and that being one word.  

Page 4 of the NC Field and Family Magazine

https://ncfieldfamily.org/magazine/north-carolina-field-and-family-fall-2022/

So spell check can try to correct me but I will only serve sweetpotatoes not sweet  potatoes.  

As the #1 producer of sweetpotatoes in the country and exporting them all over the world NC has chosen the new spelling to align with their customers globally.  

So be prepared UP to correct your family at Thanksgiving or whenever you see them on the menu.  https://ncsweetpotatoes.com/

https://ncsweetpotatoes.com/sweet-potatoes-101/

PS I just learned all this today after reading the magazine referenced above. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/13/2022 at 9:18 PM, KJHburg said:

put this under the More you know category:     NC has adopted the spelling like most parts of the world for sweetpotatoes and that being one word.  

Page 4 of the NC Field and Family Magazine

https://ncfieldfamily.org/magazine/north-carolina-field-and-family-fall-2022/

So spell check can try to correct me but I will only serve sweetpotatoes not sweet  potatoes.  

As the #1 producer of sweetpotatoes in the country and exporting them all over the world NC has chosen the new spelling to align with their customers globally.  

So be prepared UP to correct your family at Thanksgiving or whenever you see them on the menu.  https://ncsweetpotatoes.com/

https://ncsweetpotatoes.com/sweet-potatoes-101/

PS I just learned all this today after reading the magazine referenced above. 

Ok I can’t believe I’m stepping into this, but online, the world is overwhelmingly two word “Sweet potatoes”.  I’ve never even seen it spelled as one before.  Together, it looks like one of those looong German words that’s really multiple words run together.  Who’s responsible for telling The Internet it’s wrong?  

**side note:  it should be required by law that all sweet potatoes should be harvested and then thrown directly into the garbage. :sick:

7E9182D7-CF79-4C90-9494-1B25332B6E19.jpeg

31666976-C2CC-41D4-8DB5-27A4E86B9AEC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A google streetview vehicle was filming the parking lots between South blvd and the rail trail this afternoon. Interesting expansion of the view, I watched long enough to verify that the parking lot filming was very intentional.

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_09/C20AF823-9AAA-4112-88BB-86CA922D86BC.thumb.jpeg.355ea6a5940d0ee9f8dd17fab1b392e4.jpeg

I definitely may have been photographed by that car. Walked by it on my way to Sandwich Max.
  • Like 2

Question to all the credit card ppl and travelers on here. 

I have two Amex offers. Spend $300 and get $60 back at any Marriott related hotel. Second offer is spend $500 and get $100 back for specific Marriott luxury brands like ritz, jw etc. 

Question to everyone: if my charge qualifies in both offers, do both get redeemed? Example: I make a charge/reservation for JW for $500. It’s under the Marriott umbrella and qualifies for the $60 back and is a JW hotel so it qualifies for the second offer of $100 back as well. How does Amex handle this situation? Obviously the 100 back is better than 60 and getting both offers redeemed is ideal but I feel like Amex would honor the lesser of the two first instead of both. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

Part 2 of 2 In my journey west I can across some interesting buildings and high rises and I know y'all interesting buildings and high rises.  

1. 2.  Houston skyline is one of the best in the country with its variety of building styles and heights.   One of my absolute long time favorites  now called TC Energy Tower 56 stories 780 feet formerly know as NCNB Center, Nationsbank Center and lastly Bank of America Center.   BofA moved to a new  BOAT that is 34 stories and 579 feet not pictured.

3. Williams Tower the absolute tallest building in the nation OUTSIDE of a downtown CBD district.  Located by the Houston Galleria it is 64 stories and 901 feet tall but that makes it only the 3rd tallest in Houston. 

4. The Galleria Houston is and was cutting edge.  They have 2 office towers and 2 hotels connected to the mall and it has been mixed used since it opened.   3 Million sq ft 400 stores,  4 dept store anchors.  

5.  811 Main with the notch cut out formerly BG Tower now known as 811 Main  46 stories  632 feet

6. 7. the newer 609 Main  49 stories 745 feet tall built in 2017.   and view out from the 25th floor showing the brand new 47 story 734 feet tall Texas Tower just built by Hines.  https://texastower.com/amenities/  Photo 8 is the new Texas Tower which is turned 90 degrees on the block. 

9. 10. Lastly the tallest state capitol in the USA  34 story 460 feet tall Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge.  It is a beautiful 1934 high rise inside and out.  a must see.  Here is a photo also from the observation deck open to all.   Plus the Capitol has some beautiful grounds and parks around it.  Very controversial when built for $5 Million built by Gov Huey Long who ended up getting shot in the Capitol and is buried on the grounds.  Long story look it up. 

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/1/2022 at 8:22 PM, KJHburg said:

10. Lastly the tallest state capitol in the USA  34 story 460 feet tall Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge.  It is a beautiful 1934 high rise inside and out.  a must see.  Here is a photo also from the observation deck open to all.   Plus the Capitol has some beautiful grounds and parks around it.  Very controversial when built for $5 Million built by Gov Huey Long who ended up getting shot in the Capitol and is buried on the grounds.  Long story look it up.

What a masterpiece of Art Deco design! Asbolutely incredible I can't wait to see it in person.  I had no idea about this building.

Huey Long wow what a character... just recently learned about him as well. Quite an interesting fellow / life lived.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Huey-Long-T-Harry-Williams/dp/0394747909

This is the only worthy biography of this complex man who was a demagogue with crude tastes and cruelty in his style. Be sure to see the bullet pock marks in the marble walls from the guns of the bodyguards of Long when assassinated by Dr. Weiss. They are (were) in the grand lobby of the building.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

https://www.amazon.com/Huey-Long-T-Harry-Williams/dp/0394747909

This is the only worthy biography of this complex man who was a demagogue with crude tastes and cruelty in his style. Be sure to see the bullet pock marks in the marble walls from the guns of the bodyguards of Long when assassinated by Dr. Weiss. They are (were) in the grand lobby of the building.

here is a painting of his murder hanging right at the spot he was killed in the Capitol.

5 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What a masterpiece of Art Deco design! Asbolutely incredible I can't wait to see it in person.  I had no idea about this building.

Huey Long wow what a character... just recently learned about him as well. Quite an interesting fellow / life lived.

well worth the visit and it is free to the top of the observation deck. the grand foyer is just beautiful and I missed it the first time I visited I came in some back door of the capitol.  And believe me they are proud of the Capitol from what all the security guards told me. 

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Have no words for this lawsuit out of California against Texas Pete:

from the Triad Biz Journal

""Does it matter that Texas Pete hot sauce is made in Winston-Salem and nowhere in the Lone Star State?

A federal lawsuit filed in California contends that it does. Represented by a law firm that has frequently brought cases alleging false advertising of consumer products, a Los Angeles man is suing T.W Garner Food Co., claiming that by calling its hot sauce “Texas Pete,” the company is violating laws against false advertising and unfair competition because it is not made in Texas or does not usesingredients from the state.

The complaint, filed Sept. 12 in the Central District of California federal court notes that Garner is forthright about its flagship product’s origin but also contends that the company is in violation of laws regarding unfair competition and false advertising.  The plaintiff, Phillip White, through attorney Ryan Clarkson of Malibu, California, is bringing the case individually but also seeking to have it made a class-action matter nationally and among Californians. The complaint says White bought a bottle of the original Texas Pete hot sauce in September 2021 at a Ralph’s store for approximately $3. “Had White known the Product was not made in Texas, he would not have purchased the product, or would have paid significantly less for it.”"" 

Hint a good hot sauce from Texas would have been more than $3. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, grodney said:

After a quick bit of searching came up empty, I'll give up and ask here:  What's with the exit numbering on Independence near uptown?  Like why is Eastway exist 245?  What does that match up with, if anything?

Just guessing here but interstate exits are generally numbered by their mileage from the state line (74 is a US highway that has been partially converted to an interstate so I am not sure about what rules apply). 245 feels like the road distance from either Wrightsville Beach (the eastern end of US 74) or the Tennessee state line near Ducktown TN (the Western end of 74 in NC). If I had to bet on one, I would guess 245 is* the road mileage to Wrightsville from Eastway.

*Google maps may not spit this driving distance out due to new bypass construction and various US 74 reroutes that appeared over the years.

Edited by kermit

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

Just guessing here but interstate exits are generally numbered by their mileage from the state line (74 is a US highway that has been partially converted to an interstate so I am not sure about convention). 245 feels like the road distance from either Wrightsville Beach (the eastern end of US 74) or the Tennessee state line near Ducktown TN (the Western end of 74 in NC). If I had to bet on one, I would guess 245 is* the road mileage to Wrightsville from Eastway.

*Google maps may not spit this driving distance out due to new bypass construction and various US 74 reroutes that appeared over the years.

Yeah I guess it's probably just Hwy 74 miles from Tenn......I was probably just getting confused with all the 74's, hahaha!