Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I checked Polaris today for a property mentioned on Axios and the property lines and survey description appear to include a significant amount of the deed to include underwater property. The Polaris property lines show to the center of the cove, more or less. There is also a red dotted line onshore of all the properties and a blue line just off shore of said properties in the cove. 20927 Bethelwood is the address. Can someone confirm that ownership of underwater land is included in deed. Also the meaning of the blue and red lines on Polaris.

Edit: I see from a partial survey for the previous owner listed on Polaris that there is an easement for "Duke Power flood and flowage". I guess this is the water above the land mentioned. This survey for previous transaction is identified as for informational purpose only to identify "Sight view encroachment". Explanation, please?

Edited by videtur quam contuor

On 7/22/2023 at 9:54 AM, videtur quam contuor said:

I checked Polaris today for a property mentioned on Axios and the property lines and survey description appear to include a significant amount of the deed to include underwater property. The Polaris property lines show to the center of the cove, more or less. There is also a red dotted line onshore of all the properties and a blue line just off shore of said properties in the cove. 20927 Bethelwood is the address. Can someone confirm that ownership of underwater land is included in deed. Also the meaning of the blue and red lines on Polaris.

Edit: I see from a partial survey for the previous owner listed on Polaris that there is an easement for "Duke Power flood and flowage". I guess this is the water above the land mentioned. This survey for previous transaction is identified as for informational purpose only to identify "Sight view encroachment". Explanation, please?

Not a lawyer but will nonetheless respond with the very helpful statement of "its complicated". The ownership of under(fresh)water land is generally governed by the navigability of the waterway (more specifically the navigability of the waterway when the state was founded I believe). In general, the land under a navigable body of water belongs to the state, if its non-navigable then the (underwater) land can be privately owned. As you have already surmised, the definition of navigability is a bit vague, but it generally refers to very small watercraft and there is no expectation of connectivity to other waterways. Determining how many canoes were paddling around in the 1600s is much more of an art than a science.  I interpret all of this to mean that most of the land under a man-made lake (like Norman, or Wiley) belongs to private land owners since the impoundment did not exist at the time the state's boundaries were established. I suspect one exception might be for the original river bed, if it was thought to be navigable before impoundment. 

All of these issues were hashed out in the courts in great detail for the Alcoa dam relicensing on the Yadkin / Pee Dee in 2008. Here is a summary of that legal process: https://www.carolinajournal.com/alcoa-prevails-in-state-lawsuit/   [beware the Carolina Journal is an Art Pope rag and is VERY right wing, but I found this to be a reasonable (even if somewhat slanted) summary of the legal process]  

Not at all relevant to land in Mecklenburg, but I do have firsthand experience with this underwater land ownership fact: In the case of tidal salt water, private land owners can only hold title to the land down to the Mean High Water (MHW) mark and all ocean front property in NC has its forward boundary noted as MHW. While the MHW is conceptually a simple concept, its location is difficult to identify in a legal sense since the line is dynamic. The MHW line can only be determined from multiple years (decades?) of surveying and it is legally impossible for an individual (lets 'hypothetically' say an officer of the law attempting to write a ticket for public consumption or having your dog on the beach) to identify the location of the  MHW line from observation. This, in effect, means that no one can really identify the location of the line that separates the front yard of a waterfront property owner / renter and the public beach (which is technically the area below MHW). [again, NOT a lawyer]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are the streetcar lines working in most of the US?

17 streetcar lines in the graph across the US that total up to only 37,800 daily riders across all those cities. Most are barely moving more than the amount of high schoolers transported via bus to just one single high school.... 

Edited by CLT2014

^^^ S. L. U. T.   is the name of the Seattle transit?  Is that South Lake Union Transit or something else? 

anyway I know people talk about film production in NC well NC's 2nd studio is underway in Wilmington.

Triangle Inno - Hollywood strike hasn't derailed new studio plans in Wilmington (bizjournals.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ peppermint is the name of the Seattle transit?  Is that South Lake Union Transit or something else?

Yea, South Lake Union Transit or Trolley was the popular acronym for a while. Needless to say the city went to some effort to label it South Lake Union Streetcar instead.

To quote the former mayor: "I don't care what you call it, as long as you ride it."

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, kermit said:

Yea, South Lake Union Transit or Trolley was the popular acronym for a while. Needless to say the city went to some effort to label it South Lake Union Streetcar.

To quote the former mayor: "I don't care what you call it, as long as you ride it."

Funny S.L.U.T. anecdote . . . One of my last votes in Seattle was for transit in 1999 (IIRC - may have been '98) before moving and re-registering here in 2000. I was quite amused at the moniker the South Lake Union Trolley received once it was built.  In 2008, my daughter was in kindergarten and we were at our annual parent-teacher conference and the teacher mentioned that her (recent college grad) daughter was living in Seattle and working for Metro (Seattle Transit). Without missing a beat (and much to the chagrin of my (now ex-)wife) I brightly told her to ask her daughter about "riding the S.L.U.T." That earned me a pinch and then I explained. I always took my kids' education seriously but I tended to not be overly serious with any of their teachers . . . When they were in high school, the science teachers would send home updates including asking if I had any concerns. . . I would usually respond with "The heat death of the universe but with my kid not the science education they're receiving, none."

r/CrappyDesign - I rode the S.L.U.T!

Edited by davidclt
fixed for clarity and typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Photo & Stats from @TheATX1 on X:

in the photo below, you can see all of the following towers are U/C:

Waterline - 1,022', 73-stories
Modern Austin - 658', 56-stories
Travis - 594', 52-stories
Paseo - 567', 48-stories 
700 River - 500', 42-stories
Vesper - 452', 41-stories
Fairfield Inn - 17-stories
Cambria Hotel - 14-stories

IMG_1075.thumb.jpeg.490b9bb210b124ee376dbdccf89b7827.jpeg

The below shows several of the towers rendered in

IMG_1078.jpeg.d625a9c837fed28260a8d190170095ff.jpeg

Austin with its tallest U/C, which will again be surpassed which is a seemingly every year occurrence for like a decade. 

IMG_1086.thumb.jpeg.d7179211c29aa32fed8f897ce284d906.jpeg

I keep expecting Austin to fizzle slow down but I wonder how far it goes. I’m very curious for a skyline that back in 2005 looked like Greensboro & punt compared to Winston-Salem could have a better skyline & more urban & compact than Houston or Dallas. If only they’d have opted for a subway instead of surface running LRT in downtown…

To me the craziest part is how residential it is & if they’ll get an office tower boom? I could imagine a prominent 1000+ office tower being built there. That’d really pull it together. 

It’s still a weird looking skyline, guess it goes with the city theme.  No where near as impressive as Houston or Dallas.

• Confused 2