Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

From what I just read Jim Nobles businesses had a lease with Browder Properties saying all the parking spaces in the lot behind his businesses were for his use.  However the landlord gave the Good Life a verbal agreement on use on spaces there.

from the Charlotte Observer article tonight

“Our lease states we have 100% of the parking spaces with our shared tenants, Suffolk Punch Brewing and Bossy Beulah’s. On Monday, March 22, I found out that our landlord had given Good Life verbal permission and wrote in their lease to park in our parking lot. I had no knowledge of this until this week. I fully understand why Good Life is upset and angry. I am upset, as well, that we have conflicting leases and that misinformation on the part of our landlord created such strife.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article259664990.html#storylink=cpy

If that is true what the lease says the problem was created by Browder Properties.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/27/2022 at 8:13 PM, KJHburg said:

I would say maybe this convention it must be big.

https://www.charlottemeetings.com/events/conference/2021-international-leadership-summit

it is most certainly this convention President of Ghana, Denziel Washington, preachers from around the globe etc.  checked their hotels all their preferred hotels uptown sold out. 

on another note how about Half the Final 4 being from North Carolina and first time ever meet up of UNC vs Duke in semifinal 

Denzel Washington is how his name is spelled. 

Edited by kayman

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

From the NC DOT about the "ferry" discussed in the show Outer Banks from the OBX to Raleigh.  Notice the 2 proposed routes once it goes up the Neuse River to Raleigh.

May be an image of map

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Documents/obx-ferry.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0Y2qboguyonZ_GhTWusZcwQ-_I033g4M8t2EXnIqF6gtR4yE-jlPGITVk

I guess we now know that the ferry will continue to Chapel Hill but it will require a canal from Crabtree Creek through the RTP 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I guess we now know that the ferry will continue to Chapel Hill but it will require a canal from Crabtree Creek through the RTP 

So, while i think this is super cool, my understanding of the nature of our municipal/economic systems makes me not understand the purpose of this, to the end of their motives. 

Is it intended to be an ED thing for hospitality/etc corporations? Is there an established demographic I'm not familiar with? I can't seem to find much context about it online other than as a fun thing - which isn't our system's style.

^ummm….. who wants to tell him?

(check the date on the press release)

(if such a thing were actually built it would take around 10 hours to get from Buxton to Raleigh. And then there is this:

“Officials have decided the Preferred Alternative will be chosen based on the outcome of the Final Four game between UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University.”

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So, while i think this is super cool, my understanding of the nature of our municipal/economic systems makes me not understand the purpose of this, to the end of their motives. 

Is it intended to be an ED thing for hospitality/etc corporations? Is there an established demographic I'm not familiar with? I can't seem to find much context about it online other than as a fun thing - which isn't our system's style.

In the show "Outer Banks" the characters take a ferry from the OBX to Raleigh, which is obviously impossible. It's turned into a local inside joke.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ummm….. who wants to tell him?

(check the date on the press release. Edit: its undated but it was released on 4/1)

(if such a thing were actually built it would take around 10 hours to get from Buxton to Raleigh. And then there is this:

“Officials have decided the Preferred Alternative will be chosen based on the outcome of the Final Four game between UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University.”

Take a look at the acrostic in the release. If you don't have any literary reference for it, check with an English professor.

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

sorry I did not write in blue.   The Netflix show Outer Banks once talked about taking the ferry from the Outer Banks to Raleigh and ever since then the DOT mentions it every now and then like they did on April 1st.   However it would be a great tourist attraction.  Look at San Antonio River through downtown SA that is basically a flood control project and drainage ditch and yet attracts millions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was in DC in '08 for the first season of the Nationals at the new stadium in Navy Yard, SE. It was desolate out there at the time. So glad to see the development there, as well as elsewhere. The desired effect of the stadium was to attract people to an unfamiliar, underused area and wait for development.

• Like 2

Now there are only 3 K-marts left in the country.  The last Kmart in NC was in Kill Devil Hills that closed 2 years ago and I got to go in it.  They had at the time inventory of the same items spread out down long rows but not much variety.  That store is being torn down for the first Target in the OBX,  Of course Kmarts have long been gone in the Charlotte region.  

https://www.fox46.com/business/kmart-down-to-3-stores-in-us-after-nj-closing/

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Advanced studies and infrastructure bill $$$’s will rebuild the Long Bridge bridge that will allow a hugeeee increase in passenger train traffic and would allow MARC & VRE (commuter rail systems) to combine operations and act as a secondary Metro (similarish to RER in Paris or basically bringing the VRE up to MARC Penn Line levels of service and frequency) 

The Long Bridge project will be a huge boon for everyone downstream, including North Carolina. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is certainly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with crime in Greensboro.  Greensboro made this list of the 25 most dangerous cities in the U.S., coming in in 8th place!  (As much as some like to talk about Chicago being dangerous, it didn't even make this top 25 list, but Greensboro did.)  I was looking at some other data and if I'm reading it correctly, the crime rate in Greensboro is roughly 70% higher than Charlotte's, and notably higher than Durham which used to have a pretty rough reputation.  I grew up in the Triad and often went to Greensboro.  Back in those days I didn't consider it more dangerous than Charlotte.  That's obviously not the case now.  Maybe this is why it's growing more slowly, or conversely, maybe the crime is the result if the slower growth.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/most-dangerous-places

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

The Stacks DC. I just saw these renderings today and they’re fabulous. It’s also great that the density is so high, you can always count on the retail spaces to be filled with great selections and diversity of tenants. I love the people only roads they have, other streets will be flush with street level (no curb) with the expectation cars and people will share the road equally. I forget the technical term of this urban design concept but it’s been done elsewhere such as the wharf. 

9F27D1C5-F0E3-46A3-8251-E37B4C4868EE.thumb.jpeg.98bec211afc9939ed5850112a67a339d.jpegE74227B6-C365-413C-9138-BB4B57BEA762.jpeg.5d8d462b7a9df517a9c4c3e192bc90df.jpeg15D1B6CA-BFA3-473C-AD91-9CB3DA475BC1.thumb.jpeg.125186c2622600ab85929c1ee37e5048.jpeg2A0278DC-BF83-4CC8-BDE2-D05010C7E129.thumb.jpeg.e877e196524034905fbdd35933d0e81e.jpeg

Developments as large and wide are being rolled out like crazy. Particularly Southwest, Navy Yard, Buzzard Pointe, NoMa & Union Market District (and lesser H Street corridor and increasingly Anacostia)

Amazon’s Helix was just approved and will start soon which I’m sure most have seen. It will have a park that spirals up the entire building (I hope the park is for public use) 

spacer.png

Wow, The Stacks looks absolutely stunning and a perfect example of what modern urbanity should look like.  And that Amazon HQ, amazing?

On 4/9/2022 at 2:51 PM, tarhoosier said:

I was in DC in '08 for the first season of the Nationals at the new stadium in Navy Yard, SE. It was desolate out there at the time. So glad to see the development there, as well as elsewhere. The desired effect of the stadium was to attract people to an unfamiliar, underused area and wait for development.

I went to a Nationals game shortly before the pandemic.  The development that has happened around there is mind-boggling.  There's nothing desolate about it AT ALL.  The area around the ballpark is like a city unto itself now.  Similarly, there was an amazing metamorphosis in the neighborhood when Capital One Arena was built.  Back around 1998, I almost bought a house on Swann St., between 15th and 16th, but chickened out because the neighborhood seemed sketchy.  If you could see that neighborhood now!  Boy did I miss out!  DC is *nothing* like it was when I first moved there in 1989.  And that's a good thing.  It's a wonderful city, outside of the part you witness on C-SPAN.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

In Transit news of DC, the Purple Line (the first light rail line in DC metro) has resumed and *should* be complete in a few years and they’ve spared no expenses it seems making sure the connections to the metro heavy rail are seamless 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Despite an existing connection to Union Station and planned connection to Bennington, Streetcar isn't shown on DC Metro maps, while the planned Purple Line often is.  I guess Charlotte has it right when hiding Gold Line from its maps too.