Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

For those of you who spend more time than you should thinking about credit card rewards, if you pay your own property taxes (rather than via an escrow account) Mecklenburg county is currently running a 'sale"

In response to the COVID-19 state of emergency, Mecklenburg County will absorb credit and debit card service fees for the duration of the emergency.  No fee will be charged to the payer when using a credit card, debit card, or electronic check (eCheck) to pay tax bills.

https://www.mecknc.gov/TaxCollections/Pages/Pay-Taxes.aspx

• Thanks 3

18 hours ago, kermit said:

For those of you who spend more time than you should thinking about credit card rewards, if you pay your own property taxes (rather than via an escrow account) Mecklenburg county is currently running a 'sale"

https://www.mecknc.gov/TaxCollections/Pages/Pay-Taxes.aspx

That's not all bad! If I could figure out how to lump that with a 3 or 5% offer, I could make some useful money. Come on Chase Freedom 5% for "government services" in Q4! The service charge always kept me from paying with my credit card.

• Like 1

I was literally thinking how I hate sometimes that cities have all of their attractions in such close proximity to each other. And that made me think. Hmmm it would be cool if Discover Place would relocate (since a new building is an option) to the parking lot area of the Brooklyn Village developments right next to the park. Most of charlottes attractions uptown are on tryon and that needs to change. It seems like apartments/office/hotel are all clustered together and attractions are very close together. Spread the wealth. Lol Just an idea. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is on some topic, though not sure which. I drove through Belmont, NC yesterday in the midday heat and saw that the depot was under renovation. New windows and new roof with replacement orange barrel tiles. Too hot to stop and walk around for photos. It will look even better than before. Perhaps if someone is in the area and braves the environment for a view and photos?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This is on some topic, though not sure which. I drove through Belmont, NC yesterday in the midday heat and saw that the depot was under renovation. New windows and new roof with replacement orange barrel tiles. Too hot to stop and walk around for photos. It will look even better than before. Perhaps if someone is in the area and braves the environment for a view and photos?

The new building being built behind Station is supposedly going to be an open air market concept with a few (like 2 or 3) and another food option.  From what I have read, it may be like an extremely scaled down Optimist Hall.  Now there are other things going on (still) around the corner in the old Chronicle Mill on West Catawba.  I still think that is YEARS away from seeing its full build out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 3:45 PM, grodney said:

You know when you're driving down the road....maybe to the beach....maybe from the beach.....and you see a license plate?  And you think......I wonder if there are any words that have those 3 letters in order?  Not necessarily all consecutive.....but just in that order?

urban.jpg

You don't think that?  Oh, I do.  All the time.

Well, I got tired of wondering, so I made an app that is kind-of like a game.  I've never made an app before, but it was fun.  You can play it solo......or pass around the device and play with other people.  It's in the Android store, if you're so inclined.  I've had it there since December, and it has 7 downloads......so I guess it's pretty big.  It's called Platewords. 

solo.png

group.png

Please try $4DONUTS  for me 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Cat 4 hurricane meets glass high rise.  Downtown Lake Charles LA and this is 30 miles from the Gulf.  Imagine the damage when one like this gets near Miami with its much taller buildings. 

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/weather_traffic/article_e70053b8-e85f-11ea-bbd8-9b5bdabf8207.html?ocid=uxbndlbing

Wouldn't the buildings in Miami typically be built to a higher standard to be able to better survive winds of this magnitude?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Wouldn't the buildings in Miami typically be built to a higher standard to be able to better survive winds of this magnitude?

I do think Florida has strict codes but still they have had broken glass in windows and their buildings are super high compared to Lake Charles or almost anywhere else.  Miami has not been tested in this way yet.  The huge high rise boom came after Andrew which hit much further south of the city.  The building boom of high rises has been great in the last 20 years.  

downtown Houston about 10 years ago during a hurricane and streets littered with glass.    This particular high rise in Lake Charles was built in the early 1980s.

Perhaps an architect or two can speak on this if they know. 

• Like 1

I've never done work in Miami but I know other parts of Florida have higher impact rating requirements for glass. I'd assume Miami would too since building codes are generally adopted state-wide. There's special impact glass you have to buy that can withstand a certain size object at a certain speed, etc. But it's definitely possible that some of those high rises were built to earlier codes, I don't know when the impact glass rules were adopted.

• Thanks 2