Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

Please let me know if there is a better place here to post.

POTIONS & PIXELS, a local nonprofit organization, created the Charlotte Future City-Building Game, a physical and digital board game to help the public better understand and connect with the Charlotte Future 2040 Plan.

They will be hosting an event on Zoom with the Charlotte Planning, Design & Development Department so you can connect with your neighbors as you play the game online and learn more about the plan. #CLTfuture2040

The event takes place December 16th at 6:30 pm EST.  There will also be prizes!

Space is limited! Reserve your spot now using the following Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gaming-for-charlotte-potions-pixels-online-event-tickets-124217737597

Gaming for Charlotte - December.png

• Like 1

This is entrancing! I have NEVER heard of the Viceroy Club. And early 80's was a time of my life. Almost nothing in google about the club. It was in a strip mall on Tyvola so someplace either side of South boulevard, two or three blocks, I guess. I recall the Yellow Rose of about this time on Tyvola, Charlie Daniels [correction: David Allan Coe] was there,  but this is different. REM played at Viceroy after recording Murmur here, their breakthrough album. Viceroy Club. Anybody else got anything?

Edited by tarhoosier

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This is entrancing! I have NEVER heard of the Viceroy Club. And early 80's was a time of my life. Almost nothing in google about the club. It was in a strip mall on Tyvola so someplace either side of South boulevard, two or three blocks, I guess. I recall the Yellow Rose of about this time on Tyvola, Charlie Daniels [correction: David Allan Coe] was there,  but this is different. REM played at Viceroy after recording Murmur here, their breakthrough album. Viceroy Club. Anybody else got anything?

I asked my wife and her high school buddy who spent most of the 80s seeing shows in Charlotte, neither of them have heard of the place either.

Logistics aside about condo building/financing/Covid ...I really think The Hawk in South end could have been an Extremely successful condo project. It’s a modest 71 unit tower and appears to be condo quality built (appliances, finishes, etc).  People might not like the limited amenities but imo the location is the amenity. 

• Like 3

On 12/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Logistics aside about condo building/financing/Covid ...I really think The Hawk in South end could have been an Extremely successful condo project. It’s a modest 71 unit tower and appears to be condo quality built (appliances, finishes, etc).  People might not like the limited amenities but imo the location is the amenity. 

I would agree it could have been condo small number of units etc.  Raleigh and Wilmington are having new condo buildings built in their downtowns and our stacked condos seem to be few and far between mostly in Myers Park and the one behind Macs in Southend.   Of course other cities in the state did not have the spectacular condo failures like we had with 210 Trade and the Vue was originally condos. 

• Like 1

Saturn and Jupiter conjunction was superb last evening. I was out at about 5:50, just past civil twilight and into nautical twilight, so some light scatter in the west. Stars were thus not visible but there was a very bright spot in the southwest. This is the conjunction. Far brighter than any star/planet. Unaided it is easy to spot and with 10x binoculars the separation between the two planets is very small but visible. Also visible was a pinprick of light of one Jovian moon. Quite the experience. Check again tonight and continuing for a few nights. 

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/the-great-conjunction-of-jupiter-and-saturn

• Like 2

head over to Nashville UP under Nashville Bits and Pieces for detailed information on the terrorist bomb in downtown Nashville today.  It seems aimed at the major AT&T switching hub for the internet over there.  From one of their posters:

This is the where "The internet comes out of the ground". This is the portal for the direct connection to the hub in Atlanta. Atlanta is one of only a few sites in the United States with a hub directly on the internet backbone. By taking out the AT&T switch building, that will impact the backbone in Atlanta, as well as all internet/phone/sms/etc from Alabama to Kentucky (I know EVERYTHING AT&T is out in western/southern Kentucky). People will die because they cannot call 911. Stores are turning away customers because cash registers don't work without internet. There are secondary fiber from Virginia that is our primary backup, but also they are primary for Verizon, I think MCI lines. But the AT&T switch building is the big dog. Think of it as a level III site, while Atlanta is a level II site. There are 3 ULTRA MAJOR data centers in downtown Nashville next to the AT&T switch building - because they are <1 nanosecond from the internet backbone. So, 1+1=...we have several MAJOR companies in Nashville that immediately failed over to disaster recovery sites - as I type. I have many IT friends that are in emergency mode, and will be 24x7 until the next week, minimum

Hope that helps everyone understand the magnitude of this event. It's very difficult to believe that this was just randomly parked in the one location capable of disabling all telecommunications for a 3 state region. But, to answer your question, those of us in IT have always known that. All other telecommunications in Nashville is secondary, but there is only one portal - and that's it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No paywall for this description of Pepsi, at that location for many years, and the owner gifting every employee 1,000$ for each year he/she worked at the company.

(twenty years ago my sister bought an ordinary 2/2 condo in the SouthPark area, nothing special at all. I noticed that the selling owner was Dale Halton and informed my sister of the fact. I have no idea why Halton owned this unremarkable property, or why the sale. The ownership was in her name, not corporate, trust or other common variety.

https://www.ninertimes.com/news/former-ceo-of-pepsi-cola-bottling-company-dale-halton-speaks-at-unc-charlotte/article_db3e5872-5478-5ab2-ba6f-7d755e21369d.html#:~:text=Halton sold Pepsi Co.,had been at the company.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I want to continue supporting UP, but I'm going to need a paid donation option. Ad block is officially getting turned back on for this site, because these new "google vignette" ads are a hard deal breaker.

I sent in a support request about it. Last time I saw full page ads I reported it and they said those ads shouldn't be happening. Try sending in a request too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, tozmervo said:

I want to continue supporting UP, but I'm going to need a paid donation option. Ad block is officially getting turned back on for this site, because these new "google vignette" ads are a hard deal breaker.

It's one ad that is displayed while the content is loading and only one ad is displayed per hour/session. Ad revenue has been decreasing over time as folks use ad blockers and the economy has ravaged the advertising industry, particularly for sites like this. I do try to be as tasteful as possible with the ads, but at some point the incoming bills need to get paid and this site is almost fully funded from advertising revenue.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, tozmervo said:

BTW, we have offered an ad free supporting membership for years: