First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Is there anything wrong with the current library that can't be fixed by a renovation of the outside/sidewalk area? Unless they built a tower, like universities tend to have...

It's old, dated, sketchy and uninviting. The tentative plans are great  the idea is to create an alley diagonally down that plot to enhance the library and the spirit square public engagement. 

41 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

50% will definitely happen this decade. There was a n Tryon vision meeting tonight. No real info on the library yet but they're gonna rework the current site. 

This decade as in by the end of 2020?

I'm not too excited by vision plans anymore. Levine's vision. Brooklyn Village. The latest one being Brevard stroll district. So far, we got the Skyhouse's, which will be great, but the look of it doesn't really fit in with this plan. I prefer Charlotte Beige over Atlanta's Novare Blue any day.

Personally, I'm more excited for Stonewall and II Ward.

I'm going to be a grumpy cynic for a minute here.  But I mean seriously....what is this.  This "vision" looks phenomenal, and hey, if it ever happens, I'll be absolutely delighted and eat my crow with glee. Because I see a real city in those renderings with midrise development and retail and high quality structures and well planed urban streets-capes and on and on.  I just don't' see it happening.  Not in Charlotte.  Not with the building climate in this city.  Which is plop crap for as cheap as possible and the city will just allow it with complete disregard for the human scale.

I'm all for planning ahead and looking into the future.  but if this ever comes to fruition in the way it's shown in these renderings, i'll be flat out stunned.  we don't have the leaders necessary to champion this kind of ground breaking development.

3 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I'm going to be a grumpy cynic for a minute here.  But I mean seriously....what is this.  This "vision" looks phenomenal, and hey, if it ever happens, I'll be absolutely delighted and eat my crow with glee. Because I see a real city in those renderings with midrise development and retail and high quality structures and well planed urban streets-capes and on and on.  I just don't' see it happening.  Not in Charlotte.  Not with the building climate in this city.  Which is plop crap for as cheap as possible and the city will just allow it with complete disregard for the human scale.

I'm all for planning ahead and looking into the future.  but if this ever comes to fruition in the way it's shown in these renderings, i'll be flat out stunned.  we don't have the leaders necessary to champion this kind of ground breaking development.

As much as I am inclined to agree with your cynicism, I think the tides are vastly changing. Michael Smith is very influential and believes in these ideals, and the human scale is just the focus now going forward. Will it look this beautiful when it's done, I HIGHLY doubt it, but even if we get 60% of this (about what came from the 2020 vision plan) that's still a huge step in the right direction. The positive element is the amount of county and city controlled land. There can be some controls, monitoring and care given to the developments that come about.

Also, LOL gotta change the thread name. And does anyone see the link running vertically down the side of the page??

Edited by Jayvee

10 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Is there anything wrong with the current library that can't be fixed by a renovation of the outside/sidewalk area? Unless they built a tower, like universities tend to have...

The building itself is far larger than CM Library needs, there's a shocking amount of vacant space in there. If you go on the upper floors, there's a grand reading room space under the dome, but it goes totally unnoticed and unappreciated because of really poor site design. It was the libraries logo for years, and I don't think most people realized what building the logo showed because no one can see the dome from the street.

My understanding is that the library was designed the way it was because it was originally supposed to front a different kind of development that failed and ultimately became the Hearst Tower. In the original plans, the current scheme made much more sense. C'est la vie. 

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The building itself is far larger than CM Library needs, there's a shocking amount of vacant space in there. If you go on the upper floors, there's a grand reading room space under the dome, but it goes totally unnoticed and unappreciated because of really poor site design. It was the libraries logo for years, and I don't think most people realized what building the logo showed because no one can see the dome from the street.

My understanding is that the library was designed the way it was because it was originally supposed to front a different kind of development that failed and ultimately became the Hearst Tower. In the original plans, the current scheme made much more sense. C'est la vie. 

Agreed, not much to be salvaged or desired or missed with the current library. It doesn't even look cool. It'll be great with the diagonally cut alley splitting it and spirit square. I am a fan 

14 hours ago, Jayvee said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

These two photos are I'm sure everyone's favorite and are VERY achievable. The most important I notice in these photos is a change in both building massing and exterior building styles throughout each block. Having one building height and building material is not only boring but also very uninviting to the pedestrian experience as you look down a street. This should be a top priority for architects and any architectural control in Uptown. If every parking deck were wrapped with something and that something had differences in height everything in this photo is possible. 

On the library - the extra space should be used as a business startup hub for any business that needs space. Free co-work space for very small businesses and cheap co-work space for small and medium sized businesses. Have a private operator come in and make it happen. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27191/the-future-of-north-tryon-looks-bright/

If anyone's interested, the agenda article has a few more drawing/renderings. But this looks great, let's hope it's executed well. 

The link down the side is very annoying! So let me add another link! 

EDIT- My link isn't down down the side! :P

Edited by Piedmont767

4 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

^Slightly off topic, but why does one of the pictures include streetcar tracks? 

But all of this looks great and I absolutely love it! 

You are looking at Market Street and the light rail 

Guys, 

I was looking over these renderings last night, instead of sleeping, and I was struck at how simple, and doable the concepts are. Its really not that crazy. As long as they establish an overlay district, this kind of thing is very possible. The scales aren't pie in the sky, the scope isn't anything extravagant. If this doesn't happen, I'll be so mad.

Thank you rdf21 and dcharlotte! Guess I should have guessed from the building at 525 N. Tryon, I think that's the pencil shaped one. It's great to know that all of that area is going to be transformed. 

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Guys, 

I was looking over these renderings last night, instead of sleeping, and I was struck at how simple, and doable the concepts are. Its really not that crazy. As long as they establish an overlay district, this kind of thing is very possible. The scales aren't pie in the sky, the scope isn't anything extravagant. If this doesn't happen, I'll be so mad.

It is doable but I think how well it's executed depends on the developers. They have to be willing to develop N. Tryon with input from people, who work and live around N. Tryon, and not be cheap with it. If the this project is developed well, I could see it being the equivalent of the Broadway or Capitol Hill in Seattle and Old Town Chinatown or Pearl District in Portland.

Edited by Piedmont767

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Agreed, not much to be salvaged or desired or missed with the current library. It doesn't even look cool. It'll be great with the diagonally cut alley splitting it and spirit square. I am a fan 

Maybe with the new library and alleyway it will allow part of Spirit Square to... actually be a pedestrian square!

3 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Maybe with the new library and alleyway it will allow part of Spirit Square to... actually be a pedestrian square!

Interestingly enough there was a presubmittal filed for "Spirit Square Parking Study" whatever that means. Perhaps they are thinking of developing the lot into something usable?

The parking study includes underground parking spanning the block where the Spirit Square rear extension currently exists and the block where the CMPD used to be.  It would also be under 78th Street.  There was comment that BOA was in the process of doing the block across from the TransAmerica  building.

MOD NOTE: This is and always will be the topic for every biennial plan for the development of First Ward, improperly referred to as "North Tryon" (because CCCP has never heard of First Ward nor any street other than Tryon Street).     Whether it is the county's 10th Street Mall on the Hal Marshal land, or Levine's Parking District or the Arena Arts District or the Education Quad or the Cousins Quiltier Park or whatever plan they put out for the district in 2023 to desperately beg something into existence.... unless it is a high rise, it is discussed here.

• Like 1

Ok, quick question from "the guy who regularly checks the forum even if he's not from Charlotte but almost never posts": tell me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't some of that land (maybe half of it) belong to Levine?...Because if that's the case, call me pessimistic, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. Or at least, not on Levine's parcels.
Trust me: I'm very hyped about this, and I would love for it to happen. I was in downtown Charlotte not so long ago for the first time in 6 years. And while a lot has improved, it still somewhat has that "beautiful office park" vibe (even when I was in Romare Bearden park). So if that North Tryon project gets done, and whatever is being planed for South Tryon, downtown Charlotte will really start feeling like a real city/neighbor for me.
But well, you guys know better than me how Levine Land has evolved in the past 10 years...
So does this North Tryon project involves more people who can force Levine to actually finally do something (local politics and government? City council? Etc...)? I am clueless when it comes to what's happening behind the curtain of big cities' projects, the politics surrounding it, and who/what is really involved to make it happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xss said:

Ok, quick question from "the guy who regularly checks the forum even if he's not from Charlotte but almost never posts": tell me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't some of that land (maybe half of it) belong to Levine?...Because if that's the case, call me pessimistic, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. Or at least, not on Levine's parcels.
Trust me: I'm very hyped about this, and I would love for it to happen. I was in downtown Charlotte not so long ago for the first time in 6 years. And while a lot has improved, it still somewhat has that "beautiful office park" vibe (even when I was in Romare Bearden park). So if that North Tryon project gets done, and whatever is being planed for South Tryon, downtown Charlotte will really start feeling like a real city/neighbor for me.
But well, you guys know better than me how Levine Land has evolved in the past 10 years...
So does this North Tryon project involves more people who can force Levine to actually finally do something (local politics and government? City council? Etc...)? I am clueless when it comes to what's happening behind the curtain of big cities' projects, the politics surrounding it, and who/what is really involved to make it happen.

A good chunk of it does fall on LevineLand, however he has hired so many people lately to essentially do his work for him, I think they might actually move forward with a few things this time around.

However the vast majority of the work is the Hal Marshal Center, Bank of Americas lot, Library lot and the Veterans building thing. 

1 minute ago, Xss said:

Correction- Uptown Charlotte 

But yes some of the land belongs to Levine and yes it will probably be a nightmare to get Levine to design aesthetically-pleasing buildings and actually get him to build it.