First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

10 minutes ago, jpschantilly said:

Any excitement here following Levine's comments re: Treloar House in article below?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article72890477.html

As a result, his company is considering renovating other buildings they own in the area in advance of signing new tenants, such as a nearby bail bonds office. 

“We’re evaluating going ahead and doing the building renovations now,” he said. “We’ve shifted our strategy a little bit to say we’re going to add to the neighborhood where we can,” rather than waiting just for big projects to come together.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

^ I just looked out the window at UNCC, activity on Levine's site consists of two guys, one to operate a bobcat and one a mini excavator. That is it. 

This quote from the article kinda ticked me off:

"Levine also said that Google Fiber’s renovation of the old Dixie’s Tavern building is progressing, and the first phase of the building should open by the end of May. “I couldn’t be more thrilled with the quality of renovations,” Levine said.

As a result, his company is considering renovating other buildings they own in the area in advance of signing new tenants, such as a nearby bail bonds office."

Basically Levine admitted that he didn't understand the renovation process until sometime last week, sigh.

I was beginning to wonder if this was ever going to restart. It is a notable change for Levine to say that he is going to go ahead and renovate the Treolar House before landing a tenet...where as before he said he was going to wait for a tenet to show up. Also notable for me is the idea of putting in kiosks for pop up shops. These are really popular in Asheville just outside of the Grove Arcade, hoping something similar happens here.

• Like 1

First Ward Park grand opening celebration around 4:30 pm. I had the feeling that it was winding down but there were still a good number of people, folks were enjoying themselves and the park was getting good use. It feels much less formal then Bearden does and I think people are more comfortable 'using' it (laying on the grass, playing Frisbee, doing handstand on the rocks (dude in hat on left on top of rock)....)

because of that difference in formality I think the park will become a serious fixture for uptown and a great centerpiece to First Ward (providing it develops some shade). Comparing this grand opening to Bearden's its clear it doesn't get the same amount of respect as Bearden, but ultimately that might be a good thing.

RE danny's apartments (not visible behind UNCC): a couple new pieces of equipment have arrived on site since Wednesday night but no work was evident or underway on Saturday afternoon.

image.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kermit said:

First Ward Park grand opening celebration around 4:30 pm. I had the feeling that it was winding down but there were still a good number of people, folks were enjoying themselves and the park was getting good use. It feels much less formal then Bearden does and I think people are more comfortable 'using' it (laying on the grass, playing Frisbee, doing handstand on the rocks (dude in hat on left on top of rock)....)

because of that difference in formality I think the park will become a serious fixture for uptown and a great centerpiece to First Ward (providing it develops some shade). Comparing this grand opening to Bearden's its clear it doesn't get the same amount of respect as Bearden, but ultimately that might be a good thing.

That analysis is exactly what I forsee for first ward in general compared to all the other wards. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 3 weeks later...

I was told Work started back on Levine's 1st Ward Apartments. So I stopped by to catch some candids of the workers in action. I managed to snack these amazing candids!

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 12.01.12 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016-05-10_at_2.48.27_PM.png

Couldn't find a rendering of these apartments but it looks like 264 units wrapping around 1335 space parking deck. See the Business Journal article. It has been such a long time coming I do remember seeing somewhere a rendering I think. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/12/with-first-ward-park-open-whats-next-for-levine.html

• Like 2

Here are a couple renderings that I don't really remember seeing (they might have been posted but I think it was a pretty long time ago). I like the brick but overall this project is pretty forgettable. But at least Levine is finally moving some dirt. 

first ward apts 2.jpg

first ward apts.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick2 said:

first ward apts 2.jpg

I like the general concept, but feel the plans for the 10th Street extension are not pedestrian enough.  The bulk of traffic will be coming and going from 11th street, so why put a huge 4 lane* driveway in the "front" of the development where cars split right though the pedestrian elements?  Ugh.  But like you say, at least it's moving dirt on the site and provides much-needed infill . . . even if they are torn down in 30 years.

12 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Here are a couple renderings that I don't really remember seeing (they might have been posted but I think it was a pretty long time ago). I like the brick but overall this project is pretty forgettable. But at least Levine is finally moving some dirt. 

first ward apts 2.jpg

first ward apts.jpg

I don't think I saw these renderings before. My exact thoughts when I saw them:

First Ward.jpg

• Like 4

I have a final rendering for this building at home that's completely different than these. I'm at CLT right now but when I get home I'll find it and post it. Not great and more like the second rendering, but better than these two.

I'll be honest, the new (and current rendering) is superior to the previous design.  BB+M is the architect on the new project, and they typically do pretty high quality work.

Changes between the two projects include:

Expanding the building to come to 10th St, and provide a better street-scape, and visually hiding the long drive.

Replacing most of the Aluca-Bond panels with brick.

Most importantly, the parking deck is now wrapped on 3 sides with apartments instead of just 1.

An additional rendering of the original design for context.

Old:

aerial-2-960x640.jpg

The parking garage is now taller and narrower, so that it can be wrapped by units along Brevard and the LRT trail.

New:

first-ward-parking-deck.jpg

All of these changes added cost to the project, so maybe it's not great brand attitude for Levine to reply that way, but I'm sure it's annoying to have their corporate twitter acct be blasted with negativity that implies they went cheap, when they in fact improved the project.

That's not really an endorsement for the design, but the new project really is not bad in my opinion compared to most new projects.  The 11th St side is boring and pedestrian unfriendly, but 11th St is also a super speedway, from College to McDowell.

• Like 3