Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

6 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

I was driving down Plainfield this morning and noticed a couple of things. 

First was at the location that at Page and Plainfield that has been a revolving door of pizza places. I noticed this food truck parked there and also saw what looks like some fresh work done to the pavement. I know i've seen this truck before but I can't remembe which one it is....wondering if they are just parking it there or if this is a hint of something to come...,

image.png.a3187706e1490f382c17254244d5b1d6.png

Also saw this new Barber Shop at the corner of Julia and Plainfield

image.thumb.png.e16ceefdf7aeda200d35ec913021d6c6.png

https://arcanecatering.com/home

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any insider knowledge so this is all speculation, but:

CDKI (restaurant group which includes Sandy Point Beach House, Mexo, and Chicago Beef Joint) filed an electrical permit for the property they own at 2130 Plainfield. 

Back in 2017, they announced that they were going to open a restaurant/jazz bar at the location with a couple apartments above (Jazz restaurant shares plans | Crain's Grand Rapids Business (crainsgrandrapids.com)

The plan then changed when they said they were going to re-open their tapas restaurant Zoko 822 at that location (Sandy Point Beach House restaurant coming to Grand Rapids - mlive.com) but covid put it on hold.

Like I said, this is pure speculation, but could this be sign that they are moving forward with something there? With all the new developments in the area, it seems like a good time. 

Rendering from the 2017 concept:
Jazz restaurant shares plans

Building as it appears currently:
image.png.2efc27735caecc0f87177b6b0d4d0849.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

There is finally something going into the old old mattress store at the corner of Ann and Plainfield...I'm a little unsure about the business model:

a combination business that will have a yoga movement studio, a retail store and some private office room rentals for massage and therapy. Focus is on community growth and support. 

I looked up their social media and they had a go-fund-me page setup to raise funds for the initial costs....maybe it will work out but i'm just not sure that there is demand for this kind of thing. 

On 12/7/2023 at 9:18 AM, RiversideGR said:

There is finally something going into the old old mattress store at the corner of Ann and Plainfield...I'm a little unsure about the business model:

I looked up their social media and they had a go-fund-me page setup to raise funds for the initial costs....maybe it will work out but i'm just not sure that there is demand for this kind of thing. 

Isn’t there one of these already on College?

Here is their page:

https://communiteawellness.com/about/

• 2 weeks later...

I drove down plainfield just now and almost every block i noticed something changing or recently changed:

- Arcane Pizza has their sign up, which looks nice

- The Lofts on Grove apartments were getting appliances delivered (there were like 20 washing machines unloaded on the curb). This must be a sign that they are close to completion...

- The crane at The Current was active and moving

- Looks like they started working on the roof of the new wine/flower shop

- There were some work trucks at 2130 Plainfield, which is another sign of life for that potential restaurant that has been talked about for some time. They had the bay door open and one of the trucks was backed into the building...

- "Three Blue Brushes" art studio is opened next to Nourish Kitchen in Cheshire Village. I hadn't heard of this place before but it looks like they offer classes: About Us — Three Blue Brushes

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

Looks like they started working on the roof of the new wine/flower shop

I was just at Post-Off on Fulton the other day. The head bar tender there is the guy who is opening the Wine/Flower shop (I think his name is Kyle). He said it will also be a wine bar, and he'll be leaving Post-Off as soon as the new pace opens. He was super knowledgeable about wine, so it'll be exciting to see what he'll have on the menu. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2024 at 1:47 PM, RiversideGR said:

Drove past Fat Boy today and was surprised to see a for sale sign on the building. 

I know there place is a bit of an institution but I  think the owners have kind of checked out in recent years. Spot has so much potential. 

Well, the current owners, Matt Urbane and his wife, took it over in February of 2009 after it had been closed by the previous owner for about six months.  They have done a lot of work and remodeling over the years.  Maybe they are tired and think it is time to retire.

Back when it was closed in 2008 we had a discussion about it here and I contributed the comment and cartoon strip below - 

FAT BOY may not have had the greatest food or ambience but it was the only restaurant I know of in GR that was ever immortalized in a syndicated comic strip:

963177530_FATBOYZIPPY2004-08-09.png.337e11d368d10cb48d4b671e064ea3e7.png

I haven't seen this comic strip, Zippy the Pinhead,  in a newspaper in years although it apparently still exists.  It has sort of a hipster vibe to it and around here the Detroit News, one of the least hip newspapers ever, used to print it.

Here is a link to the urbanplanet post that Wingbert started about what looked to be its demise in 2008:

URBANPLANET: R.I.P. Fat Boy

And if anyone cares, here is proof that Zippy the Pinhead is still around even though I haven't seen it in years in a newspaper:

Zippy the Pinhead 2024-01-17

Edited by walker
fixed a link
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, walker said:

Well, the current owners, Matt Urbane and his wife, took it over in February of 2009 after it had been closed by the previous owner for about six months.  They have done a lot of work and remodeling over the years.  Maybe they are tired and think it is time to retire.

Back when it was closed in 2008 we had a discussion about it here and I contributed the comment and cartoon strip below - 

963177530_FATBOYZIPPY2004-08-09.png.337e11d368d10cb48d4b671e064ea3e7.png

I haven't seen this comic strip, Zippy the Pinhead,  in a newspaper in years although it apparently still exists.  It has sort of a hipster vibe to it and around here the Detroit News, one of the least hip newspapers ever, used to print it.

Here is a link to the urbanplanet post that Wingbert started about what looked to be its demise in 2008:

URBANPLANET: R.I.P. Fat Boy

And if anyone cares, here is proof that Zippy the Pinhead is still around even though I haven't seen it in years in a newspaper:

Zippy the Pinhead 2024-01-17

We have that comic strip framed on the wall of our kitchen. There's also a Zippy about the old Rosie's Diner in Rockford (specifically the mini-golf course). I think he was standing next to the giant lemon meringue pie slice. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

Not much in the way of detail yet, but Pinnacle Construction will be presenting to the Creston Neighborhood Association this week about a proposed residential development at Leonard and Lafayette.

image.thumb.png.7ac10de8c31d229e36f3b96b6c48ac0a.png

This was the site of the very old Catholic St. John's Orphanage.  It was torn down in 1960.  The nondescript building next to it that looked sort of like a prison back when it had a chain link fence partly enclosing it, was built as its replacement.  Slide down a page in this link for photos and the story of the orphanage:

HISTORYGR: 385 Leonard

Edited by walker
fixed link
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, walker said:

This was the site of the very old Catholic St. John's Orphanage.  It was torn down in 1960.  The nondescript building next to it that looked sort of like a prison back when it had a chain link fence partly enclosing it, was built as its replacement.  Slide down a page in this link for photos and the story of the orphanage:

HISTORYGR: 385 Leonard

Thanks for sharing - I love stuff like that! The orphanage building was really beautiful

2 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

Not much in the way of detail yet, but Pinnacle Construction will be presenting to the Creston Neighborhood Association this week about a proposed residential development at Leonard and Lafayette.

image.thumb.png.7ac10de8c31d229e36f3b96b6c48ac0a.png

I saw renderings from someone that put a proposal together for the site.  The site is deceivingly large, the rendering was massive. It will be great infill for the area.

• Like 3

That's awesome!   I was hope Sun would do something with that portion after they cut down all the trees.  Isn't the GRPS school near there slated to be closed?  Probably some sweet views up there, I wonder if GR Parks has first dibs on the properties

• Like 1

re: 301 Leonard development. They (Sun Title and Pinnacle Const.) just presented to the CNA Land Use Committee tonight. Lots of good feedback but I thought I'd share some details of the development here. 181 units (mostly studios and 1 bedrooms), 4 story horseshoe shaped building with the main frontage on Leonard, 1 small retail site with tenant tbd, ~80 onsite parking spots underneath the building, 56 bike parking spots. I may be missing stuff but either way, an exciting addition!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2