Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

Some Creston news from permit applications:

• Rez Lounge is applying for a social zone along Plainfield. I think this is great...rez lounge is a great neighborhoood bar.
  • 1340 Monroe is going to the planning commission later this month - it looks like they need some approvals for density requirements since their financing is requiring them to split the parcel into two. I think I saw some newer renderings/site plans in the packet too: 1340 Monroe Ave NW - OPR for Density Requirements - Grand Rapids, Michigan (iqm2.com)
  • It sounds like the former Baker Building is moving forward with the reno of the northern portion (still looking to sell the southern portion for condos)

the site will ultimately be developed in phases under a condominium structure with the first phase consisting of selective demolition and rehabilitation of the northern warehouse and five story tower that would be rehabilitated and updated into an approximately 125,000 square foot light assembly and distribution facility with the tower housing office space for MiEN Company, a furniture manufacturer in West Michigan. The Brownfield Plan will only include the northern property as the Developer is seeking to sell the southern building to another developer for future residential or mixed-use. 

^This is one is exciting to me because the plans are supposed to improve river access along this portion of the Grand.

Edited by RiversideGR
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Winston1206 said:

Just noticed today that old convenience store near Diamond and Sweet has a “coming soon” sign for some sort of new apartment development. Didn’t get a close look, not sure if anyone has any more info. 

A3A46843-D5D9-42B8-A415-5E98CC9915D1.png

I think that is this: $8M north GR apartment project among recipients of state brownfield grants (mibiz.com)

• 2 weeks later...

There is an item before the Board of Zoning Appeals this month to convert a vacant mixed-use building on Knapp (formerly occupied by a party store) into 2 three-bedroom residential units. There was a previous attempt this year to permit a tattoo shop on the ground floor which was denied.

image.png.08c2972c6bb9f05990f363fa7948945e.png

Franklin Partners also filed some more stuff with the planning dept for the former Display Pak development. I am not seeing very much new stuff in the project description other than that construction is planned to start in "Fall 2023"

Franklin North Monroe, LLC is proposing the redevelopment a parcel of property located at 1340 Monroe Avenue NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49505 that contains a total approximately 7.424 acres in the City of Grand Rapids. The Property is currently improved with three existing buildings and adjacent gravel parking that would be demolished to make way for a new approximately 226,500 square foot four-story mixed-use building with first floor retail space, residential apartments on the ground floor and upper floors, as well as an integrated three-level parking deck with approximately 448 spaces. It is anticipated that the Project will include a second phase and the Plan will be amended at a later date to include the activities associated with the second phase. The second phase would include additional parking and a similar sized and mixed building. The Project will include approximately 1,818 square foot of retail space on the first floor with approximately 260 residential apartment units spread across the first and upper three floors. The residential units would include a mix of studios, one and two bedroom units. The Project will include department specific activities, demolition, lead and asbestos abatement, site preparation, and infrastructure improvements (including a three level private parking deck). Construction is expected to begin in the fall of 2023 and is estimated to be completed within approximately 15-18 months. The Project is expected to create an estimated six (6) direct full-time employees of with average wages of approximately $22/hr. The retail space will provide additional unknown jobs, depending on final tenant mix. Total capital investment in Project is estimated to be approximately $83 million.

Edited by RiversideGR
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

There is an item before the Board of Zoning Appeals this month to convert a vacant mixed-use building on Knapp (formerly occupied by a party store) into 2 three-bedroom residential units. There was a previous attempt this year to permit a tattoo shop on the ground floor which was denied.

image.png.08c2972c6bb9f05990f363fa7948945e.png

Franklin Partners also filed some more stuff with the planning dept for the former Display Pak development. I am not seeing very much new stuff in the project description other than that construction is planned to start in "Fall 2023"

I think that would be a good use of space for the old party store. It’s a residential neighborhood (used to live a block away) and not much parking. Plus, more housing. :)

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I think that would be a good use of space for the old party store. It’s a residential neighborhood (used to live a block away) and not much parking. Plus, more housing. :)

Unfortunately COVID killed the breakfast/lunch spot that was going in on the first floor, with apartment above.

Planning commission approved a density variance for the Franklin Partners redevelopment of the Display Pak property. A representative of Hansen Balk (south-adjoining) expressed support for the project, but also expressed some mild concern of future residents being bothered by the industrial use. He also indicated that there is potential that Hansen Balk will relocate in the future.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

Planning commission approved a density variance for the Franklin Partners redevelopment of the Display Pak property. A representative of Hansen Balk (south-adjoining) expressed support for the project, but also expressed some mild concern of future residents being bothered by the industrial use. He also indicated that there is potential that Hansen Balk will relocate in the future.

Thanks for the info. Is there a record of this with the planning commission? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Thanks for the info. Is there a record of this with the planning commission? 

I got this from watching the video of yesterday's planning commission meeting (i know, i'm a nerd). The first 30ish minutes are about this project, I believe the rest is mostly about the amphitheater. 

1 hour ago, RiversideGR said:

I got this from watching the video of yesterday's planning commission meeting (i know, i'm a nerd). The first 30ish minutes are about this project, I believe the rest is mostly about the amphitheater. 

Thank you for sharing!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

I really wish they would, that and the parcels just south of them.  That whole stretch between the river and Plainfield is pretty depressing.

Hopefully this will help continue the growth north.  Parks and residential all the way up to riverside would be awesome

Super random question, does anyone know if that Marine Corps building has been used since COVID?  It sure doesn't seem like it is, they don't even bother to cut the grass

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Super random question, does anyone know if that Marine Corps building has been used since COVID?  It sure doesn't seem like it is, they don't even bother to cut the grass

I don't think it's being used anymore.  The Marine company that was assigned there moved to Battle Creek.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 1:08 PM, Jonesey said:

Super random question, does anyone know if that Marine Corps building has been used since COVID?

I work next door; no, it is not used.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:56 AM, RiversideGR said:

I got this from watching the video of yesterday's planning commission meeting (i know, i'm a nerd)

You are not a nerd!  Planning and Committee-of-the-Whole meetings are some of the most informative things one can listen to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Zads said:

Saw crews doing work out there today. It looks like they were pulling the underground tanks from the former gas station that was there. Great to see polluted properties get redeveloped.

No description available.

• Like 2

There was an article in Crain's that talked about the pollution / underground storage tanks from a former gas station:

Remediation work on the site that formerly housed a gas station includes removing three underground storage tanks, Talbot said. Environmental work is set to start this week, and construction on the building is expected to begin in July. The project is estimated to open at the end of summer 2024, Talbot said. Pinnacle Construction Group Inc. is designing and constructing the building.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/state-approves-3m-in-incentives-loan-for-72-unit-creston-project/

Joe

• Like 1

Tucked into this article is a little tidbit that Kingmas is expanding the footprint of their grocery store. 
https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/retail/creston-businesses-contend-with-months-long-plainfield-avenue-construction-detours/

“…Kingma’s plans to take advantage of the reduced traffic to embark on an expansion project to add 15 feet along one side of the store. The project, which will give Kingma’s space for a new catering endeavor and another cash register, was initially slated to happen this fall. ‘As long as things are torn up on the road, we may as well tear up our store,’ Hartline said.”

Edited by RiversideGR
  • Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, RiversideGR said:

Sounds like this place is still moving forward, with a goal to open late this year:

Businesses also continue to move into Creston. Jon Benedict, with co-owners Kyle Warren and Sam Keuning, are opening Good Good Good, a retail wine and floral shop, in the dilapidated building at Sweet Street and Plainfield Avenue they are in the process of renovating. Benedict’s co-owners grew up in the area and all live in Creston; the trio purchased the building before area housing costs soared.

“We knew that Creston was growing in a positive direction,” said Benedict, who hopes to open Good Good Good before the Lights on Creston event in December. “Everyone is so engaged in the community.”

source

• Like 3