Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I went to the Charlotte Oktoberfest when it was at both the Metrolina and Memorial Stadium. Wasn't a big fan of the Metrolina location because it just felt like it took forever to get there. But overall, it's a great time. I have tickets for this year's event at NC Music Factory as well. Can't wait. I think it's an excellent location.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt from Sycamore about their site on Hawkins? The last news I heard was the owner was balking at the cost of streetscape improvements required for the site. I am wondering if he made peace with the zoning or if he bailed on the site.

FWIW the auto parts business currently in the building is still operating and shows no indication of packing up.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Strike Regimental from the "Coming Soon" list, as they have decided to hang it up: http://www.regimentalbrewing.com/2013/09/25/thanks-for-all-the-support/

Their words of the "kind, generous" craft beer scene in Charlotte are sort-of funny considering their tweet last weekend about how "truly awful" the beer from Lake Norman Brewing is.  Oh well, karma or something.

In other news for those not on the twitter machine, Sycamore tweeted on Sep 18 "Nearly there...", and Unknown has this week tweeted pictures of their tap handle and their painted-but-not-finished tap room.  Everything I've seen is indicating an October open for Unknown.  Oh, and Ass Clown added a 32-tap draft system to their tap room -- wow!

Open:

NoDa

OMB

Birdsong

Triple C

Ass Clown

Heist

Four Friends

Lake Norman

"Coming Soon":

Free Range

Unknown

Dukbone

Sycamore

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like Unknown is the only new brewery actually working to open.  The others don't even have updates on the webpages or on Facebook.

I have seen the Unknown van driving around South End, and it lists taproom hours on it (forgive me, but I don't remember what they are). Hoping that is a sign that this brewery is ready to open up very soon!

after about 10 days in Philadelphia, New York and Toronto I have a new-found appreciation for the Charlotte craft beer scene. The Northeast and especially Canada is a beer wasteland.

I am beginning to think there are only a handful of cities which can compete with us for variety and quality of local craft beer. Cities which clearly best us include: Chicago, Portland, Seattle and San Francisco. cities which are similar (IMO) include Asheville (I have never been wowed by the quality of the beer there but they do have us on variety) and  Portland ME,I am sure there are cities I am overlooking but the point remains the same: We are _very_ fortunate.

Our beer scene is pretty great and probably would be a contender for "most improved" given how far it has come in less than 5 years. However I don't think you have to look very far to find cities on par; Raleigh might even have more and a few very good ones at that. I'm really happy NoDa is now canning and getting ready to distribute (not sure how widely) since seeing some of our better beers actually in stores elsewhere should really boost our beer city profile.

after about 10 days in Philadelphia, New York and Toronto I have a new-found appreciation for the Charlotte craft beer scene. The Northeast and especially Canada is a beer wasteland.

I am beginning to think there are only a handful of cities which can compete with us for variety and quality of local craft beer. Cities which clearly best us include: Chicago, Portland, Seattle and San Francisco. cities which are similar (IMO) include Asheville (I have never been wowed by the quality of the beer there but they do have us on variety) and  Portland ME,I am sure there are cities I am overlooking but the point remains the same: We are _very_ fortunate.

While I admit our beer scene is lacking, our craft distillery scene is thriving. You should have dropped me a PM while u were here, I would have gladly shown you a few gems.

It seems like Unknown is the only new brewery actually working to open.  The others don't even have updates on the webpages or on Facebook.

Sycamore throws out the occasional tweet -- the latest lamenting the inability to get a brewery license during the govt shutdown.

Dukbone has tweeted a couple times about hoping this is the last year they are spectators (and not exhibitors) at GABF and Charlotte Okt, but no location updates since they said they are expanding their search due to inability to find appropriate space.

Did anyone go to the Brewz Music & Arts fest at the Music Factory?

I worked at the Q City BBQ championship Uptown and numbers were way down. We were wondering whether the competition pulled a bigger crowd. The bands were really good, even though I have never heard of any of them. I also wonder where CCP marketed the Q City event, because I didn't see very much promoting it leading up to the weekend.

I'd been seeing posters up around Uptown as early as August. 

My general sense around the office was of people a little leary of the prices. Friday at lunch more than one coworker said they went down expecting to have some Q but ended up going to a typical lunch restaurant. I've also had an impression that Taste of Charlotte is having the same struggle, though I've never seen official attendance figures for that event, either.

I attended it. If we'd had Sunday's weather on Sat, then it certainly would have helped with the crowds. For a "Brew and Q" event they sure did have a lame beer selection at the booths on Tryon (ShockTop and Goose Island being the only 'craft' seletions). We ended up going inside a bar to get a beer.

And since price was mentioned, yes, $10 for a small pork sandwich, mac&cheese, and canned soda was a bit expensive.

Edited by mad_park

Is this a rebranded version of what used to be called "Blues Brews and BBQ"? Because I felt the same about that festival...I tried it every year I lived uptown, but the BBQ was expensive, the Blues non-existent (bottom of the barrel country and southern rock acts instead), and the Brews limited to $10 buds or michelobs, maybe a yuengling if you're lucky. 

I was out of town but heard that Brewz was a good time. Between that, Oktoberfest, and the local beer festival that has been at Neighborhood Theater the last few years we are heading towards a decent lineup of annual beer events.