Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Does anyone know if any of the grocery stores actually plan on taking advantage of this? It would be great to be able to get a growler filled at Harris Teeter, like you can in other states. Call me cynical but I bet the chains will have to be bugged a lot to consider doing this. I know Whole Foods in SC do this and it's great, much more convient than going to the brewery.

Does anyone know if any of the grocery stores actually plan on taking advantage of this? It would be great to be able to get a growler filled at Harris Teeter, like you can in other states. Call me cynical but I bet the chains will have to be bugged a lot to consider doing this. I know Whole Foods in SC do this and it's great, much more convient than going to the brewery.

Woah thats a lot of copy and paste...

There is a Duane Reade in the Upper West and a CVS by my APT in Brooklyn side that has growler filling.

Per Charlotte beer:

In addition to building out the brewery, Sycamore will have to invest in streetscape improvements as required by the city of Charlotte.

“It is a substantial financial investment for a start-up business, but we believe that our brewery and the community will benefit from the improvements,” said Justin.

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2013/10/28/sycamore-brewing/

I hope their beer is good.

Well look at this -- "District 9" slipped in while I wasn't looking.  They're apparently very near Ass Clown, in Cornelius (still in Meck).  They sound extremely small compared to the others -- although I don't know how big of a brewing setup AssClown has.

http://d9brewing.com/

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2013/10/24/d9-brewing-companys-grand-opening-in-cornelius/

I guess I'll call them "Coming Soon" until their grand opening on Nov 8.

Open:

NoDa

OMB

Birdsong

Triple C

Ass Clown

Heist

Four Friends

Lake Norman (not in Meck)

"Coming Soon":

District 9 (Nov 8)

Unknown (Nov 9)

Sycamore (South End Spring(?) 2014)

Free Range (NoDa 2014?)

Dukbone

Edit:  So now that Sycamore and Free Range have spots, who is going to take OMB's old/current location?  Dukbone?  Nobody?  Somebody else?  Seems like a no-brainer to buddy up close to OMB in their new location, as well as having the old/current location already in brewery mode.  I guess maybe all that together would make the price pretty steep.

Edited by grodney

Went to the Pearl Jam show last night at TWCA (phenomenal concert BTW) and was happy to see 1) that we now have NoDa beer on tap downstairs (it will be a part of that craft beer garden on the second level) and 2) that the people at the concession stands knew how to actually poor it. One of my biggest gripes there has been how much beer they waste because the people behind the counters don't know how to poor it. So it seems, at least for one night, they trained the workers there how to do it. As a side note, I'd love to have the revenue from just the alcohol sales last night... They had to of run dry by nights end with amount of beer being consumed. I could probably count on two hands how many people I saw empty handed.

Hmmmm, perhaps misinformation in the story?  Birdsong is in the photo.  Or is that just a rendering?  Heist would surprise me, as they're not ANYWHERE, are they?  Other than their own restaurant and a few festivals?

Bobcats just tweeted a "welcome" to the 9 breweries listed in the story (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/23/Facilities/Bobcats.aspx).  So indeed, Heist but no Birdsong.  Frownies.

I got a growler of NoDa Gordgeous re-filled at Custom Home Pubs on Saturday.  They were SUPER nice enough to temporarily hook up a fresh keg, since they didn't have one on tap.  Not that Independence is THAT close to my home, but it's a lot closer than NoDa, and even closer than Triple C, so that's nice.

Having said that, however, I was dismayed at the pricing.  $18, plus tax.  $19.31 for a growler refill.  I won't pay that.  I hope others don't as well, so pricing will come down.  (Oh, and I think they wanted $8 for an empty growler.)  Heck, I was already disappointed by Total Wine charging $14 plus $3 deposit for Birdsong growlers -- of course that was before refills.

I don't know what NoDa's refills are in the brewery, but I know Birdsong is $10.  I also know Good Bottle was doing $10 growlers of Triple C over the weekend -- although I don't know if that was a special, and if so, what the normal price is.  Southern Spirits and Frugals have been filling growlers for a long time, and although I don't have any hard facts, I swear they aren't that high.

I got a growler of NoDa Gordgeous re-filled at Custom Home Pubs on Saturday.  They were SUPER nice enough to temporarily hook up a fresh keg, since they didn't have one on tap.  Not that Independence is THAT close to my home, but it's a lot closer than NoDa, and even closer than Triple C, so that's nice.

Having said that, however, I was dismayed at the pricing.  $18, plus tax.  $19.31 for a growler refill.  I won't pay that.  I hope others don't as well, so pricing will come down.  (Oh, and I think they wanted $8 for an empty growler.)  Heck, I was already disappointed by Total Wine charging $14 plus $3 deposit for Birdsong growlers -- of course that was before refills.

I don't know what NoDa's refills are in the brewery, but I know Birdsong is $10.  I also know Good Bottle was doing $10 growlers of Triple C over the weekend -- although I don't know if that was a special, and if so, what the normal price is.  Southern Spirits and Frugals have been filling growlers for a long time, and although I don't have any hard facts, I swear they aren't that high.

Thats certainly high. in Brooklyn I pay 12-18 for a growler of local (upstate) beer, depending on what brewery its from. Although it can be 25-30 for the more high gravity and the bourbon barrel aged beer.

NoDa growlers at the brewery start at $13 if it's a refill. I think some of their seasonal or specialty brews go up to $17. However, if you want Jam Session or Hop Drop n Roll, you are better off getting the 4 pack of 16oz cans. Jam Session is $9 and I think Hop Drop n Roll is $11. Rumor has it that all their core beers will be cans by early-mid 2014. Birdsong is the cheapest growler refill at a brewery ($10) that I'm aware of. I've been to Good Bottle for refills of Birdsong Jalapeno PA, and it's typically $13 or $14 if I'm not mistaken. Haven't bought Triple C growlers not don't know on that one.

However, if you want Jam Session or Hop Drop n Roll, you are better off getting the 4 pack of 16oz cans. Jam Session is $9 and I think Hop Drop n Roll is $11. 

$7.99 and $9.99 at Total Wine.

I don't have a problem paying a buck or two more for a growler than I'd pay at the brewery -- any more than that and I feel ripped off.  But I'm a crotchety old man.

$7.99 and $9.99 at Total Wine.

I don't have a problem paying a buck or two more for a growler than I'd pay at the brewery -- any more than that and I feel ripped off.  But I'm a crotchety old man.

I could be off by a dollar on the prices at the brewery. Seems odd that Total Wine would charge less than if you went to the source for the cans. 

having never paid more than $12 for a growler refill (at Old Meck) these prices are appalling.

Since a growler holds slightly less than a standard six pack I always assumed that the now standard $10 for a craft beer sixer was a ceiling on growler prices, As our locals begin to bottle hopefully we will see prices go down.

^I don't think paying $13-16 is that bad to be honest. If you think about it, unless there is some special like a tap takeover, you're paying $4 for a pint, plus tip. But I agree with your last statement. I think as we see more canned/bottled beer by the local breweries those growlers will probably drop a buck or two.

Two things.

1. nowensone, HD&R is $10 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans at Total Wine -- not for a growler.  But now that you mention it, you'd have to be pretty crazy to pay $16 for 64 ounces instead of $10.  Yeah, one might argue tap beer is better than canned, but that argument doesn't go far, and certainly isn't worth 6 bucks.

2. I understand that pints of good beer are $4 at the brewery, and more than that at other bars (except that LOTS of places are having $3 local nights nowadays, but ignoring that).  But the precedent on growlers (as mentioned above, that you take home and drink on your couch) is for the beer to be under the pint price -- sometimes FAR under the pint price.

I look at it this way:  Let's say NoDa sells Gordgeous for $12/growler.  I can only ASSUME they're not losing money on that.  I can only ASSUME that the per-growler equivalent cost to a retailer is less than $12 -- i.e., they aren't paying retail price.  But even if they ARE paying $12/growler, then selling it for $18, that's a 50% markup.

In the end, we all have our own limits, and that's fine.

I'm definitely going for at least a little bit. I wish it was more of a daytime event because I tend to have dinner plans on Saturdays. 

The last time I drove by I didn't see much exterior work, but they have so much room in that parking lot, I really hope they turn part of it into a patio. Preferably fenced and allowing dogs like Triple C!