Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I loved Charlotte Oktoberfest back at Metrolina. While the location was not great, it was extremely well run & lots of fun. Great mix of breweries and home brewery representation, not overly packed, you could take "tours" of beer, etc. I haven't been in a few years, not sure if it's changed much?

Protagonist Clubhouse opens today.  2nd brewery this year (Heist Barrel Arts) and first new brewery since Town in Sep 2018.  Not exactly "early 2019" but amazing by brewery standards.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/166011/go-inside-protagonist-clubhouse-opens-thursday-in-noda/

Protagonist Clubhouse beats out these others that seemed ahead of them at one time:

• Middle James - Pineville - has been "next month" for about 6 months.....now saying mid- to late-June.
  • Armored Cow - University - had an opening date announced in March or something but didn't open.  Latest post from Monday says "very soon!".
  • Wooden Robot NoDa
  • Fonta Flora CLT

In addition to those 4, there are 9 more that have 2019 as a stated timeframe.  Of those 13 yet to open this year, the over/under is around 6.5.

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Edited by grodney
  • Like 3

I walked past Protagonist last night and it was very full including their patio out front, although not hard to do with the size of the space. Great design, I especially love the windows down the street where you can see into their mini production facility on Davidson. Didn't have time to wait 4 deep to order a beer so I will have to go by sometime this weekend and give them a try!

26 minutes ago, grodney said:

Armored Cow opens (in University) opens tomorrow.

Thank for the heads up...been wondering about that.  I'm excited the U-City has a brewery, although I wish it was a little closer to the boardwalks area (but still pretty close).  Still walking distance from the light rail.  Hopefully, they embrace the University and vice versa and it becomes a nice pregame spot before/after games.

I have been stuck in my Lenny Boy / Wooden Robot rut for a while. Anyone have any new discoveries worth sharing? 

• Town brewing consistently has a couple of taps at the SE common market. They look good but I haven’t been able to try them yet.
  • Was at Souther Tier last week for first time in a while. None of the three hoppy things I had were worthy of comment (and the locally brewed beers were noticeably crappier than the ‘imported’ stuff) I did appreciate that they open early on weekdays (this is a tough town for day drinking during bankers hours)
  • Also visited Divine Barrel a few weeks ago. I had two decent IPAs (one was guava IIRC), the were fine, but not a wow. I did like the trackside location and will return.
  • I increasingly encounter bad tap curation in local restaurants  so my consumption of OMB Copper has increased. I appreciate its ubiquitousness and consistency. I still think if OMB marketed Copper as the local ‘cheap’ beer (like $4 a pint regularly) they could gobble up market share and provide a great service to the city (Copper could become our much higher quality version of  Old Style, Natty Boh, Iron City etc.).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, kermit said:

I have been stuck in my Lenny Boy / Wooden Robot rut for a while. Anyone have any new discoveries worth sharing? 

• Town brewing consistently has a couple of taps at the SE common market. They look good but I haven’t been able to try them yet.
  • Was at Souther Tier last week for first time in a while. None of the three hoppy things I had were worthy of note (and the locally brewed were noticeably crappier than the ‘imported’ stuff) I did appreciate that they open early on weekdays (this is a tough town for day drinking during bankers hours)
  • Also visited Divine Barrel a few weeks ago. I had two decent IPAs (one was guava IIRC), the were fine, but not a wow. I did like the trackside location and will return.
  • I increasingly encounter bad tap curation in local restaurants  so my consumption of OMB Copper has increased. I appreciate its ubiquitousness and consistency. I still think if OMB marketed Copper as the local ‘cheap’ beer (like $4 a pint regularly) they could gobble up market share and provide a great service to the city.

Town ESB is the only beer I can drink there but it's very good. Although it sounds like you like hops so you might like their stuff more than I do. Birdsong is always a go-to for me and St. Tuber and Mexicali are both back right now which are some favorites but I like less hops than most on here. I'm dying to try the OG Noda brewing, they said it will be mostly experimental styles at their original location so maybe check that out for something funky!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, kermit said:

Legion appears to really like satellite trap rooms. Next stop is Morehead / Freedom in the White Point project:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/05/exclusive-legion-brewing-to-add-third-location-at.html

It appears this will be much more than a satellite tap room.  Full on production brewery, with room to quadruple their beer output.  Good for them.  Looks like SouthPark is pumping some money into the coffers (it's always busy and people are typically getting food as well).   I will say one thing about Legion though is that I am starting to miss the old head brewer Alexa.   While their new small batch beers aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, none have taken off like the ones before she left.  Now get that canning line installed at the new location please!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kermit said:

Legion appears to really like satellite trap rooms. Next stop is Morehead / Freedom in the White Point project:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/05/exclusive-legion-brewing-to-add-third-location-at.html

Oh wow, but this is much more.....this is hugely increasing their production capacity.  Thanks for the link!

Every new project in that direction is another step closer to Blue Blaze surviving, hahaha.  But I really wish the trolley and Savona Mill would become a reality.

Updated brewery map: 

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

3 hours ago, CTiger said:

Anyone been to Protagonist Clubhouse yet?  Do we have any reviews?  I've been intrigued, but haven't made the trip.

Very good spot, but it's more a bar as-is than a brewery - they only had two of their own beers (and like 22 others on tap). Which is possibly fitting a better need in Charlotte anyway at this time?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CTiger said:

Anyone been to Protagonist Clubhouse yet?  Do we have any reviews?  I've been intrigued, but haven't made the trip.

Its great

their Pretzels & beer cheese are so good.

Its great

Its great

Its great

Its great

42 minutes ago, wilmore said:

Very good spot, but it's more a bar as-is than a brewery - they only had two of their own beers (and like 22 others on tap). Which is possibly fitting a better need in Charlotte anyway at this time?  

Agreed with this. Pretty extensive list of nice bombers from around the country if you want to spend money. Both of their "own" beers aren't made in house but are pretty good, and they have a good selection of others. Not sure if they're planning on doing any microbrewing on site until after they build the larger brewing operation south of here, but worth a stop, the place looks really cool with the micro equipment throughout

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wilmore said:

At this point in its new life, a new brewery shouldn't have 18 of their beers on tap.  Perfect a couple and keep experimenting and learn the system.  Too many throw total crap out there before they even learn their brewhouse and  itgives off a BAD first impression.   Glad they are doing this way to start. 

These guys are from Cincinnati and this concept is directly taken from Braxton Labs which I have visited and enjoyed.    Multiple guest taps compliment their own creations, separate from the main brewery a few miles away.  Complete with a small food menu.  Although the Braxton Lab is connected to a giant beer and liquor store!

Haven't had a chance to visit protagonist but it's next on my list to get to. 

My cousin (F45) and her 2 sons (middle school ish) have an overnight layover tomorrow (Wed).....so we're looking for family-friendly casual dinner/drink.  She has an interest in local beer.   If there were a Brixx or TRUE Pizza nearer the airport, that would be perfect.  She's going to Uber wherever, but I feel like I shouldn't subject them to a long drive.

Am I making this too hard?  Is OMB the obvious choice?  If the weather were nice, this is a no-brainer, but 68 and storms in June?  Crap.  My only hesitation is indoor acoustics were terrible last I was there.

Any other good options?  Uptown Brixx?  Piedmont Social at Ayersley?