Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

The test on I-24 is the product of a smaller-scale test performed earlier this year. In the smaller scale test, performed on a test track with a total of 20 vehicles, a single autonomous vehicle was able to affect the pace of driving of the entire group. Now, the universities and automakers are looking to see if they can replicate their initial results in the real world. Researchers will also observe if average fuel economy improvements seen in the smaller scale test are reproduced.

That's neat. I wonder if it's that autonomous vehicles actually maintain a larger following distance but that space allows human drivers room to slow down without hard breaking and creating an accordion effect for everyone? I remember watching a youtube video once from some guy who claimed he could break up traffic by intentionally slowing enough to always leave huge gaps in front of him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Here’s the link to the article.  Not clear where the funding is coming from, but GM, Nissan and Toyota are participating in the study.  

https://www.teslarati.com/worlds-largest-autonomous-vehicle-test-nashville/

“According to Vanderbilt, the autonomous driving test operates under strict limitations. The university will deploy 100 autonomous vehicles on a 4-mile stretch of I-24, and the test will be run between 5 am and 10:30 am. The tested vehicles include Nissan Rouge, Toyota RAV4, and Cadillac XT5, each equipped with autonomous driving technology.

The test on I-24 is the product of a smaller-scale test performed earlier this year. In the smaller scale test, performed on a test track with a total of 20 vehicles, a single autonomous vehicle was able to affect the pace of driving of the entire group. Now, the universities and automakers are looking to see if they can replicate their initial results in the real world. Researchers will also observe if average fuel economy improvements seen in the smaller scale test are reproduced.

Nashville’s I-24 section is being chosen as the testing location for a specific reason. The highway section, named the “I-24 MOTION testbed,” is equipped with 300 4k camera sensors placed on poles that are spaced 600 feet apart along the highway section. This amazing level of data collection can not only allow researchers to see the average speed of traffic and other statistics, but can provide an unparalleled viewpoint as they attempt to observe the individual autonomous cars and how they interact with other drivers.”

Thanks. Excellent information!!

Vanderbilt University’s press release didn’t outline how their research may be affecting the vehicles that the participating automakers put out in the future. Still, there is no doubt that the automakers will be leveraging the test to observe their own (and competitor) vehicles operating in the real world, perhaps leading to autonomous driving improvements soon.

This project is getting BIG, BIG, BIG! This project has exploded in scope from a sketch on some Engineer's desk to a monster, innovative experiment from a global perspective with the help of a group of brilliant TDOT and other Engineers.

Edited by MidTenn1
  • Like 4

On 11/18/2022 at 10:20 AM, Mr Gain said:

Why are they 300 officers short?

I work closely with MNPD personnel. It’s primarily high retirements, low incoming class quality (lots of dropouts), and people just deciding to leave for something easier. They have mandatory overtime requirements due to the officer shortages which makes each of these much worse, too. They feel like they get no political support and the work they put in doesn’t matter since so many felons plea down to virtually nothing. Nobody is as demoralized as a detective who put in months of work to build a case for a class A felony and then watches the DA give the guy a Class E in a plea deal, and then sees that the same felon killed someone 3 years later.

Each has his or her own reasons but almost every one of them I meet on their way out the door for the last time says something about “not having to deal with this s### anymore”

The pay and benefits are decent but most of the officers are educated nowadays, these aren’t your 1950s Irish flatfoots anymore. They have other options. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

19 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I work closely with MNPD personnel. It’s primarily high retirements, low incoming class quality (lots of dropouts), and people just deciding to leave for something easier. They have mandatory overtime requirements due to the officer shortages which makes each of these much worse, too. They feel like they get no political support and the work they put in doesn’t matter since so many felons plea down to virtually nothing. Nobody is as demoralized as a detective who put in months of work to build a case for a class A felony and then watches the DA give the guy a Class E in a plea deal, and then sees that the same felon killed someone 3 years later.

Each has his or her own reasons but almost every one of them I meet on their way out the door for the last time says something about “not having to deal with this s### anymore”

The pay and benefits are decent but most of the officers are educated nowadays, these aren’t your 1950s Irish flatfoots anymore. They have other options. 

Whoa. Whose side are those DAs on?

Edited by Mr Gain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Just a random television note.  I'm not sure if any of you watch The Amazing Race on CBS, but their season finale episode airs tomorrow (Wednesday 12/7) at 9 PM CST, and I could tell from the preview that it was taking place in Nashville, and The Amazing Race usually does a pretty excellent job at showcasing a city.  It appeared that one of the challenges was climbing to the top of, and then repelling from, The KVMB Bridge.  

Lynchburg and the Jack Daniels Distillery had a nice little challenge in it as well.  I think its cool that they chose Nashville to have as the end of race location.  They did a good job of filming it, especially around KVB and SoBro part of downtown.

• Like 3