Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Ugh!  And still using that 10-year old photo of the CMHOF. OK... I get it. It's a brand and it sells like crazy when the country angle is played up. I think some first-time visitors to Nashville are shocked to find indoor plumbing and electricity there. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Thanks for posting and here again they are using the same old photo of the Nashville skyline that is probably 10 to 15 years old.

• Haha 2

PNC Bank announces that it is accelerating its pace on brick-and-mortar expansion in Nashville. Originally it looked like they would have 4 branches, but it could be more.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/07/17/this-397-billion-lender-is-ready-to-branch-out-in.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:18 AM, KJHburg said:

I don't know if I am reading this wrong, but would the Sleeping Rooms divided by Meeting Hotels give us the average rooms per hotel? If so, it is pretty interesting to see the comparison between cities in the Top 10, as it shows how small Nashville builds.

• The average rooms per hotel in the top 10 excluding Nashville is 271. That puts us at 42% below, at 158. The next lowest is San Diego at 178.
  • Avg hotels per city is 228. Nashville is just 26% below at 169
  • Avg Sleeping Rooms is 61,820. We are 56% below that at 27K

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/where-have-all-the-children-gone/594133/

Interesting Atlantic article about what myself and some other commenters have lamented: the lack of families in 21st century cities (or at least the lack of conditions that help families want to stay in the city, rather than move to the suburbs). I think the author hits on most points but he totally underestimates the lure of better public schools in what makes parents move to the burbs. The groups that hurt the city the most when they leave are the upper levels of the working class and the lower and middle parts of the middle class - groups who are able to drive longer distances to work, may not need the public services a city offers, but are unable or unwilling to either send their kids to bad public schools or expensive private schools. I also think the lack of affordable 2+ bedroom housing in new construction has an effect, for middle class folks being able to afford a 3 bedroom apartment requires both parents to work, which in turn requires $2,000+ a month in childcare for 2-3 kids. Kind of a vicious cycle.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

57 percent of U.S. households are childless.

For real. I'd say myself and the majority of my friends have lived inside 440, or inside the main loop for the past 8-10 years, and only in the past 2 years has our group started having kids.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

For real. I'd say myself and the majority of my friends have lived inside 440, or inside the main loop for the past 8-10 years, and only in the past 2 years has our group started having kids.

This, and also a history of segregation, white flight, etc. It will take a lot of parents who could send their kids to private schools intentionally keeping them in public school. This will take some time, but I believe it (along with a school board that becomes functional) will eventually improve. You look at some of these clusters and they will be 75% affluent households in a decade.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andy20 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_room

The Japanese where on this early, haha.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Morning folks, the weather is looking to be glorious this weekend, so I am going to be out flying.

If you all have any requests of buildings/areas you would like to see aerial photography of, post it up and I'll do my best to take a bunch of them!

:)

WeHo / Pie Town / Nashville Yards please and thank you!

• Like 1