Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

How tall are those things? I would hope they are at least 8' from sidewalk to the bottom of the sign. The last thing we need is sidewalk intrusions. It's hard to tell from the picture, but they look short.

Ha, they do look pretty short from the angle.

Demo has started for the Midtown HIlls police precinct. This is 2 run down buildings near 12th and Wedgewood. As a resident of this neighborhood I could not be happier that we will have an increased police presence. This could also be a catalyst for transformation of the area from 12th to 16th north of wedgewood

Demo has started for the Midtown HIlls police precinct. This is 2 run down buildings near 12th and Wedgewood. As a resident of this neighborhood I could not be happier that we will have an increased police presence. This could also be a catalyst for transformation of the area from 12th to 16th north of wedgewood

Absolutely. Those were not buildings that needed to be saved by any means. The Edgehill community has some limitations for private development due to the MDHA developments in that area, but privately-owned buildings and lots are going to benefit from the massive amount of investment that is circling the neighborhood.

That's such a huge eyesore along with the abandoned state-owned building at the corner of 22nd Avenue. Here's hoping these warehouses are torn down and the building next door gets restored and re-used in the near future. There's SO much untapped potential on Charlotte Pike right now. I would like to see some ambitious developers come in and do a couple of mixed-use projects along this corridor.

I would also like to see Charlotte Pike developed with a few apartment buildings aimed at middle-income people without all the amenities. We've had plenty of income-restricted and luxury residential projects lately.

Edited by ariesjow

Grimey's (record store with live music venue, The Basement) has announced an expansion on 8th Ave South. I think that this is pretty awesome news. I love the fact that local record (and I do mean "record") stores are doing well in Nashville. Plus, I am glad to hear that there will be additional parking. I can never get in the front lot and hate going to the back lot, specifically getting out of the back lot. If they have almost an acre, it would be neat to see Grimey's create an outdoor space sort of like the East Pavilion that is about to open at the Shoppes at Fatherland in Five Points in East Nashville. Perhaps that would help to activate 8th Ave from a pedestrian standpoint in that area north of Wedgewood to be at least as good as it is in the area immediately south of Wedgewood where Douglas Corner and Zaney's are located.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2012/08/21/new-grimeys-annex-will-have-books-coffee-and-food-trucks?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NashvilleSceneBites+%28Nashville+Scene%3A+Bites%29

Apartments in the works next to 5th and Main

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120822/BUSINESS02/308220139/E-Nashville-site-pegged-multifamily-housing

Apartments in the works for Brentwood next to new Lifepoint HQ

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/08/23/solomon-builders-evergreen-real.html

West Mont apartments sell. From what I have learned they will tear down the old apartments and build a 5 story structure at the present site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/08/23/west-end-apartments-sell-for-115.html

Apartments in the works next to 5th and Main

http://www.tennessea...ifamily-housing

I'm sure that John will be glad to get some neighbors at 5th/Main!

There is another article in the Tennessean that talks about the sale of the New Edition Community Cooperative apartments complex on Fatherland Street between 4th and 5th a few blocks south of 5th and Main. These are across the street from the Edgefield Cottages (MDHA Senior Homes at 5th/Shelby) that are getting their own massive exterior renovation now. That article shows a rendering of a renovated exterior of the former New Edition apartments and lists a price of $800,000 for renovations to include new exterior cladding as well as granite countertops et al. The rental rate for a 2 Bedroom will be only $800/month, so those will get snapped up for sure. I really wish that they would demolish that complex and start over, but hey, it's not my money! But I am hoping that these renovations will spur additional crosswalks across 5th Street. 5th Street is like 10th street in that it is an urban renewal project (5th was orginally a dog-legged street and Spring Street originally connect to Main Street on the other side of 5th and Main closer to 6th), so even though it has sidewalks, it has a vastly open, suburban feel due to the widened street and the widened setbacks so that cars speed too much and pedestrians feel like they are in the middle of nowhere.

There is a similar renovation of a 1960s apartment complex called the Howe Garden Apartments on Greenwood Ave in my neighborhood in East Nashville. That's another one that I wish that they would demolish (I'm sorry, but that '60s/'70s look will never be cool), but again I'm glad that something is happening up there. The new property managers are ending their Section 8 contract next month and going market rate. The Howe Garden Apartments actually sit on the land that belonged to Cora Howe, whose gardens were packed up in the 1960s and sent out to Belle Meade to start Cheekwood.

Edited by bwithers1

big, big music festival coming to downtown in october:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/skrillex-pretty-lights-to-curate-with-your-friends-festival-in-nashville-20120824

this is going to bring in SO many people that would have never visited our fair nashville. to think that skrillex and pretty lights are the ones actually putting on the event and chose nashville to do it in speaks volumes. i don't like the type of dubstep skrillex, pretty lights and 12th planet write and play, but i'll be buying a ticket to this just to show my support. this will bring in lots of bodies and dollars to the city that weekend :D

eric b

• Like 2

big, big music festival coming to downtown in october:

http://www.rollingst...hville-20120824

this is going to bring in SO many people that would have never visited our fair nashville. to think that skrillex and pretty lights are the ones actually putting on the event and chose nashville to do it in speaks volumes. i don't like the type of dubstep skrillex, pretty lights and 12th planet write and play, but i'll be buying a ticket to this just to show my support. this will bring in lots of bodies and dollars to the city that weekend :D

eric b

Nice!! I love Santigold and Nas as well...I saw those two and Skrillex and Pretty Lights in various music festivals here in Chicago over the course of the summer. I like some more than others (I think Skrillex is hugely overrated) but they all put on a great show, and like you said, for very cutting edge artists like them to put on a music festival in Nashville speaks volumes about Nashville's skyrocketing "cool" index. haha

• Like 2

yeah, man! i'm a die hard movement/demf (detroit electronic music festival) man myself, but this had had me proud and smiling all afternoon. skrillex's performance at the 2011 demf was something else, according to what my friend who was at that stage witnessed for a few minutes en route to another stage, and to know that'll happen just a few blocks away is a great feeling. i'd love to shake the hand of the person responsible for green lighting this one.

eric b

• Like 1

^ I used to love DEMF when I lived in Ann Arbor. Detroit has a great electronic music scene. Did you ever go to Dorkwave in Corktown?

I'm stoked about this festival and hope it's a huge success. I'm a big Santigold fan as well and I like Nas and Skrillex too. I'm not very familiar with the other artists mentioned, but I'll probably give them a listen before October.

i've never lived in detroit, but of all the times i've been to the d i've never actually been to corktown, lol. i go to detroit about 3-5 times a year but never make it over that way. i know this, though, if somehow i ever come into a lot of money or if i lose everything i'll head straight to detroit. that place has been responsible (in one form or another) for almost every piece of music i've loved for the past 16 years or so. i went for the first time in 2003 and i've been in love ever since.

i went last week and talked for a while with a gentleman named cornelius harris, with the underground resistance crew at the submerged records store on east grand. we talked about a lot of things and he tells me the city is actually starting to embrace techno and electro and the influx of people moving in that actually CARE about the city are doing a lot. i don't want to turn this into an "i love detroit" thread, so i'll stop, but i hope this festival is a huge success and eveyone involved wants to do it all over again.

eric b

• Like 1

You guys should head up to Chicago next summer...we've always been a festival town, but the number of music festivals here is just getting unbelievable.

Here are the one's I went to this summer:

Started it off with a doozy, an incredible new electronic music festival...

June 16th - Spring Awakening Music Festival: http://www.springawakeningfestival.com/

June 30th - Wavefront Music Festival: http://www.wavefrontmusicfestival.com/

July 31st - Pitchfork Music Festival: http://pitchfork.com/festivals/chicago/2012/

Yet to come:

August 31 - North Coast Music Festival: http://www.northcoastfestival.com/

Then of course there are tons of smaller scale ones in each neighborhood, and the larger ones like Lollapalooza and Ravinia...then again, I still need to make it down to Nashville to Bonnaroo, which is quite possibly the big daddy of all music festivals.

• Like 1

That's such a huge eyesore along with the abandoned state-owned building at the corner of 22nd Avenue. Here's hoping these warehouses are torn down and the building next door gets restored and re-used in the near future. There's SO much untapped potential on Charlotte Pike right now. I would like to see some ambitious developers come in and do a couple of mixed-use projects along this corridor.

I would also like to see Charlotte Pike developed with a few apartment buildings aimed at middle-income people without all the amenities. We've had plenty of income-restricted and luxury residential projects lately.

I may be a minority of one, but I really like that big warehouse and the building on the corner of 22nd. Obviously they need some fixing up, I'm not sure if there's enough there on the warehouse to fix up into anything. The rehabbed building at 2300, on the other hand, looks like an impromptu, low-budget fortress with its fenced in surface lots and those big metal tubes filled with concrete. I guess they're there in case a car hits an IED and is thrown up against the building.

And the Hospital stuff across the street is heinous. This stretch of Charlotte has a long way to go.

Don't mean to sound so negative, I definitely agree with your main thrust. Bring on the ambitious developers of middle class housing! This is an ideal area for people like me that can't afford to live downtown or on the other side of Centenniel Park. And in 5-10 years, maybe a likely corridor for true BRT, if the EW Connector is successful.

Great to hear about the festival. Just recently got into electronic/house/techno/whatever else thanks to Pandora over the last couple of years. Listening now as I type. Great (for me a least) for concentrating/focus while I work. I mean I always kind of liked some techno and electronic, but Pandora has opened up many new artists that I would have never heard of, at least for awhile. This day and age amazes me sometimes, and I'm still pretty young!!

Great to hear those like Skrillex and Pretty Lights are interseted in Nashville. We truly are a music city, but, IMO, we need more festivals like this to really push it over the edge. Chicago and Miami are some that come to mind.

I think Bonnaroo has helped since I think both Skrillex and Pretty Lights have been before.

Show me them dollaaass!!

Oh, and Nas too! Might have to see this.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 1