Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

11 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

OK... I'm not firing on all brain "cylinders" as I try to remember... perhaps someone here can help me.

The Joseph (and chain?) was built by a Vandy alum (right?)

The Graduate chain was started by a Vandy alum (right?)

Were the Joseph and Graduate hotels built by the same firm? 

The Graduate was built by AJ Capital originally out of Chicago and then moved to Nashville, and the Joseph was built by Columbus based Pizutti, two different companies.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Wall of shame continues:> The Nashville Wall Of Shame

Another fine list Nashville made the list for. That could be the name of the thread, The Nashville Wall of Shame! I know these lists are subjective but this one I agree with. Pass it along to your local council person.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/9-us-cities-with-the-worst-urban-planning-do-you-live-in-one-of-them/ss-AA1gvjWo?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b6e546fecebb4ad6a2095f74fc626c02&ei=53#image=1

• Like 4

On 9/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, Argo said:

Whose going to pay for the boondoggle. The state?

A $2+ billion football stadium.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:31 PM, UTgrad09 said:

Sir, this an urban development forum, not a talk radio comments page. 

Let us define boondoggle. How about when you build something that makes no sense, economically, practically or even from a safety standpoint.

These are vanity projects. Or feel-good projects. Or 'help me with my city envy' projects, the very definition of boondoggle. Even Brookings (nadvertainly) agrees with me:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-10-u-s-metro-rail-systems-that-lose-the-most-money-per-passenger/

We have attorneys in Houston that specialize in rail accidents: https://attorneybrianwhite.com/houston-practice-areas/metrorail-accident-lawyer/

A Rice University prof was killed walking her bike across tracks laid where tracks shouldn't be, alongside streets. Train/motor vehicle collisions happen all the time like this one: https://abc13.com/houston-news-train-crash-metro-ambulance/13189836/

I mean really crazy. And people ride wihout paying as a rule around here, I've seen it over and over. Sucking hundreds of millions every year down the drain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, andywildman said:

Nobody tell this guy how much the state and local governments spend on asphalt for public roads.

That money comes from the gas tax which essentially means that those who use the roads pay for them every time they fill up.  "The State" isn't fleecing sales tax money from Campbell County coal miners to build roads in Davidson County.  I have yet to see a funding mechanism for mass transit where only those who use the mass transit are the ones to pay for the entirety of it.  Mind you, I am a huge proponent of public transportation (I grew up in Hong Kong, Brussels, and Paris which have outstanding public transportation networks) but taxes in those places (well, Brussels and Paris) are extremely high.

I would love to see Nashville set up some sort of self-taxing district where the extra taxes generated would go directly towards the development of better mass transit in that district.  I don't think someone filling up her car in Newport should be funding Nashville's mass transit.

OR I would love to see a system like Hong Kong's, where the mass transit company (MTR) has a hand in the developments on and around its MTR stations and therefore needs absolutely zero subsidies from the government, and in fact it turns a profit every year.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/mar/19/how-public-transport-actually-turns-a-profit-in-hong-kong#:~:text=The model sees the MTR,as for funding new projects.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, go_outside said:

We agree on some points, but I want to push back on your concern that the State would unfairly funnel Cocke or Campbell County taxes to Nashville. In reality, the subsidies work the other way around.

In 2021, Nashville generated between $1.22 and $1.80 billion more in State tax revenue than the State spent back into Nashville. Nashville and its surrounding MSA subsidize the rest of Tennessee's counties, 79 of which (out of 95 total) take more funding from the State than they contribute. (See full analysis here.)

We are a long way from needing to worry about unfairly taxing rural counties for Nashville's gain. 

Oh I totally agree that these "highways to nowhere" out in the sticks are completely unnecessary and take money away from much needed road projects in the city's urban areas, and not just Nashville.  I just hope that whatever funding mechanism is proposed for Nashville's mass transit will be more like Hong Kong's MTR setup.  I think it would have a much better chance of passing and would be the envy of the country instead of just another bottomless money pit.

• Like 2

About 43% of all Nashville Class A (luxury) housing in towers and complexes are currently offering some kind of rent concession. Quite a few are offering two months free rent.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2023/09/19/downtown-nashville-apartments-offering-free-rent-deals/70832680007/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the rest of the state counties would cringe if the tax dollars earned by any particular county had to stay in that county by law. Then they would see where the tax dollars went and who got to spend them. All of the yahoos in the Podunk counites would really be crying wolf then. Some of these counties do not need to be counties any longer. It is time to start consolidation of counties IMO. Many of them are just a waste of money for being in existence as they are just too small now to sustain themselves. 

I completely agree.  The American system of City, County, State, National often IMO is redundant  and gives very unequal service.  I think consolidating City and County in a lot of cases into metropolitan regions would be much better but the transition would be difficult.  Sometimes, I think states are a bad idea as their boundries have really very little relevance to the current populations they have,  These boundries were set up hundreds of years ago by charter of other countries in Europe but changing it would be chaos.  The rise of huge metropolitan cities has very much changed the way our bicamarel system works since it was set up.  The system of state lines being unconnected to real population  centers IMO is rather awkward creating problems...and sometimes preventing conficts between metros.  An example would be Atlanta desiring water from the Tennessee River.  then there are counties out west as big as more than one small state.  I'm afraid wer are stuck with the system as much as it could be better though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I grew up in the largest county (land wise) in MA and I never saw the purpose of the county. The sheriff still exists, but I think they mainly just do prisoner transports when needed. Then again I never paid attention to the county up there haha.

I get them a bit more down here, especially when you look at the rural ones and you have county high schools and such. The northeast is dense enough where that wouldn't happen. Rather we have school districts within the county for some of the more rural towns. For example I went to a 3 town district high school. My high school gf went to a 5-town high school where the freshman class was the size of my entire high school. 

• Like 2