Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 8/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, Luvemtall said:

No need to get so technically picky. Thanks Mark for the time and energy to come up with that list, much appreciated.

OK, really profuse apologies for getting technically picky, and being so presumptuous such as an out of towner, but I'm gonna do it -- as the National Life building was a major product of the thinking of '60's Nashville financial sector and it's worth prying into the architectural history and if it bores anyone then skip over this, please. I will explain subsequently, OK, I was there and my dad started at L&C in '55 right at the beginning of this modern high rise period in Nashville.

But first let me finish clearing up this mystery of conflicting decades with the final bullseye provided to me on Facebook at my request. Since I don't want to start a membership at any of the archive services, I encountered two enticing blurry thumbnails when searching 1969 and 1970 on the topic thanks to one of the services. I could make out maybe 10 words total on both of them. The first one in '69 from the Tennessean mentioned a strike by some of the tradesmen working on the National Life project. I could make out no more details so that would help explain the delay after the topping out in '68. The other hit from the paper was in Feb '70 when they had the dedication ceremony and I could make out no names, but I think it was to the company founders.

So I got the desired answer on FB with images, and according to the Tennessean image provided, the company started moving in on Dec 4, 1969 which supports it being complete in autumn '69 , just as I remember. Those internet sites are basing the 1970 completion on the dedication ceremony. Here is the link to the FB, be sure to expand and see the under construction pics: thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1031934030216274/posts/6500851109991178/?comment_id=6501252059951083&notif_id=1692132131036448&notif_t=group_comment

I'm going to finish what I have to say in another post, and may I add that my best friend from grades 7~9 and good friend over the decades, his father worked for National Life so our fathers worked for competing firms. It is really interesting what his father had to say about the L&C tower, which maybe had something to do with how things played out, including with American General taking over both companies.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This discussion jogged my memory of a Youtube video posted on this forum years ago that was done by (apparently) teenagers in January of 1970. They were driving around the city and using a super 8 mm film camera to capture street scenes, one of which was of the kids frolicking around Capitol Hill with the recently finished Andrew Jackson building in the background and the National Life building (not yet moved into). Rubble from a recently demolished building was visible as the camera panned up the new skyscraper which had a few floors lit with others not yet wired. The video ended with a romp through the Christmas display at Green Hills shopping center. So that may answer some of these questions. It was definitely topped out in fall of 1969 when dragonfly started at Vandy. It was not moved into until 1970. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FluffyP13 said:

And yet that big parking lot on 1st/2nd persists 

Yep and it will until someone with deep pockets figures out how to rebuild that block in a manner restoring the basic styles and massing of the building that was destroyed by arson and yet make it work commecially.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

PostRural, thanks for your excellent work!! Really appreciate it and it really helps get a good prospective of how all the projects together will look. And let’s all remember that’s without the East Bank! Once we get a better idea what will happen over there , maybe you can update us with that included. 

• Like 4

OK... I'm not firing on all brain "cylinders" as I try to remember... perhaps someone here can help me.

The Joseph (and chain?) was built by a Vandy alum (right?)

The Graduate chain was started by a Vandy alum (right?)

Were the Joseph and Graduate hotels built by the same firm?