Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I had two thoughts on it:

(1) It seems sort of jammed into that space, not, umm, "Centered" at all. I think it would have fit in better with more space around it.

(2) It's got a lot of white on it - who's going to keep it clean?

Overall, I must admit I suspect I'll grow to love just about all of them.

The city did a great job last night with the See Orlando Art Dedication.  All of the sites had the artist present with a "passport" stamp to be collected at each for a drawing.  Each site had entertainment and drinks.  The exhibit at the Cedar of Lebanon had up tents with free bar, appetizers, a table with a woman in a white dress in center and her dress acted as the tablecloth for the baklava.  There were also a few people on stilts dressed in white flowing gowns and tuxedos wandering through the crowd--a real classy way to pay homage to the art and the artists.

After, the city also sponsored an invitation event at 310 Parkside which provided great appetizers which was to cap off a great evening (other than 310 deciding to charge a 22% service charge on all of our drink invoices, which tends to piss me off and I leave less of a tip than I normally would).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to The Sevens, a large structure ther will really fill in the Uptown area.  On a side note, I was downtown last night after dark for the first time in awhile and really liked how the Aloft, the new lit sculptures, and the lighting on top of the Solaire looked.  Orlando is starting to own the bright colored LED thing, and I think it's working

I've long thought the crown on top of OMA would be a great place to convert to LEDs.  Downtown definitely has a vibe going with all the LEDs now but I'd love to see more of them in other parts of the city, Downtown South and Loch Haven Park could both be enhanced with new lighting.

I'm surprised more buildings downtown haven't pushed for LED displays. SunTrust Tower in Tampa shows what a good LED display can do to a building.  Nothing of that scale yet in Orlando. SunTrust or Bank of America could both do some amazing things with new LED lighting.  The CNL Tower on Orange Ave could also really be enhanced by some. 

I'm a bit sad that Tyjeski Park doesn't have better lighting.  The large yellow multi-light 'trees' found on the Church Street I-4 underpass would have look great in the park instead of the typical lighting.  

Hopefully we see another round of See Art Orlando that adds more sculptures and more LED displays to downtown Orlando. 

• Like 1

So was this Carver theatre thing suppose to happen this year? I remember there was some controversy, but don't  remember hearing anything.

http://www.bbcfcfl.org/carveroverview.html#.UqqWx_RDvsQ

This would be on the empty lot of the northeast corner of Parramore Ave and Church St? Cause this would be some nice streetwall action with the Soccer Stadium, City View, Amway Center and the Magic Entertainment Complex.

This would be on the empty lot of the northeast corner of Parramore Ave and Church St? Cause this would be some nice streetwall action with the Soccer Stadium, City View, Amway Center and the Magic Entertainment Complex.

Yes, it is at Parramore and Church where the old Carver theatre used to be. This would be a great project to see happen with the stadium going up, would add density in the area. Also, the theatre is an awesome idea, would be nice if they could make the entrance look a little more like the old one.

Edited by truebluecfl

On my run this morning I noticed they they have fenced off the office building behind Mama B's near the corner of Orange and Colonial.  Hopefully they soon will begin demolition for the new hotel.  I just wish they could have acquired the corner lot as well.

Edited by FLheat

On my run this morning I noticed they they have fenced off the office building behind Mama B's near the corner of Orange and Colonial.  Hopefully they soon will begin demolition for the new hotel.  I just wish they could have acquired the corner lot as well.

I noticed that too, and upon further inspection I noticed some activity peeking out from behind the building. Here's what I saw:

post-26482-0-94415100-1387910186_thumb.jpost-26482-0-03569200-1387910197_thumb.jpost-26482-0-68457900-1387910228_thumb.j

P.S. I attached the pics because I can never seem to be able copy/past pics onto this forum, why is that?