Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The slanted building on that Hotel ORMC looks a lot like Disney's Contemporary resort, if you ask me.  I don't like either.

The main structure of the hotel doesn't look terrible, except for the extra tall corner that tries to make the building look fancier than it really is.  I see that kind of thing on CVSs and shopping centers too, and I would really like to see that trend stop altogether.  It's more than worn out its welcome.  Try something different.  It's like a fancy hood ornament on an old Kia.  It doesn't fool anyone.  

The "slanted building" is already there. Been there for years.

I like everything about the rest of the design, but I question the choice of the name.

I think "OMP Hotel" (for Orlando Medical Plaza) sounds a bit more upscale than "ORMC Hotel".

Too many syllables.

Hopefully it's just a "working title".

Does anyone know what is going on with Garland between Church and Washington in this rendering?

Maybe shifting the road over a bit so that there is more space for taxi parking at the end of Church St. ?  My guess is its just a poor rendering.  There's a few spots where lanes suddenly disappear.

If anyone has the time...there is an agreement between the City of Orlando and FDOT on the I4 project. It spells out exactly what is happening at each over pass. It's unfortunately done through legal descriptions and not pictures and takes a bit to understand. If something was changing on Garland I would imagine it would be in there.

If anyone has the time...there is an agreement between the City of Orlando and FDOT on the I4 project. It spells out exactly what is happening at each over pass. It's unfortunately done through legal descriptions and not pictures and takes a bit to understand. If something was changing on Garland I would imagine it would be in there.

I'm way too excited to waste time this week reading this.

Doesn't Florida Hospital have pedestrian bridges over public streets? And what about ORMC's current ones over Underwood or Copeland?

Orange Ave in that area is a state highway if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe we have many over those in the area but Tampa seems to have some.

Or the massive one over I-95 in Jacksonville connecting the hospital there.

I wish to use Superman11MS's awesome models of the Orlando area in the open source tank-battle game BZFlag.
Unfortunately, they won’t let me do that unless there is an OSI approved license attached to the files.
I can use public domain, BSD, CCO, CC, GPL, and other licenses, but I cannot use whatever google-earth has listed as license, which is very close to BSD but not quite.

Hopefully, Superman11MS can see fit to apply a license to the models, but I need to get in touch with him first. This forum will not let me send private messages. Can somebody please help me out and send Superman11MS a message letting him know that I'd like to talk to him?

Thankyou

If you post your email address I'll get back to you.

I wish to use Superman11MS's awesome models of the Orlando area in the open source tank-battle game BZFlag.
Unfortunately, they won’t let me do that unless there is an OSI approved license attached to the files.
I can use public domain, BSD, CCO, CC, GPL, and other licenses, but I cannot use whatever google-earth has listed as license, which is very close to BSD but not quite.

Hopefully, Superman11MS can see fit to apply a license to the models, but I need to get in touch with him first. This forum will not let me send private messages. Can somebody please help me out and send Superman11MS a message letting him know that I'd like to talk to him?

Thankyou

It looks like a traffic calming mechanism. Not a bad idea for that area with all the arena pedestrian traffic. Though I suppose police are managing traffic during major events ... 

It's also worth noting that currently the sidewalk from Church St. juts out into Garland Ave somewhat unusually on the northeast corner. You have to consciously swerve around it or risk curbing your wheels. So maybe this is an effort to both fix that and provide traffic calming?

All speculation on my part.

• 2 weeks later...

True, but if you put yourself in their shoes would you want to move into a a cubical retail spot that you didn't own, or keep a prime piece of property and building you probably paid off years ago. I'm sure when the time comes and its sold they'll figure out something really nice to do with that corner.

• Like 2

Was reading the Rida development thread and had a thought that probably belongs here:

Does anyone have a running count of how many new dwellings are being built in the CBD and uptown over the next 1-3 years and a current total number of dwellings?

I don't really have a good idea of how many people actually live downtown and how much of an increase is represented by all of these apartment projects. I would really love to see that data but I have no clue where to find it.

Edited by castorvx

Was reading the Rida development thread and had a thought that probably belongs here:

Does anyone have a running count of how many new dwellings are being built in the CBD and uptown over the next 1-3 years and a current total number of dwellings?

I don't really have a good idea of how many people actually live downtown and how much of an increase is represented by all of these apartment projects. I would really love to see that data but I have no clue where to find it.

this will probably get you close to the answer: http://www.cityoforlando.net/gis/pdf/DowntownCRA/ResidentialBuildings.pdf