Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I was just on Deedee Morrison's page, and I actually like many of her other sculptures. They usually have nice ornate carvings on them, and I see several that I would like downtown. The other one she is doing for us looks better (IMO of course) in the In Progress section.

http://deedeemorrisonsculpture.com/portfolio/1/Portfolio

More of her first installation here. I just can't get into it at all:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/9/6/first_look_new_see_a.html

Nice find. Thanks for posting.

I'm excited to see the pieces put into place, especially because this project is being driven by private investors. They might not be to everyone's taste, but that's kind of how it goes with art (especially modern art).

I agree with Spenser that it would have been nice to see more local artists included. Perhaps there will be a second phase? It would be great to see more public art beyond the downtown core.

Speaking of, here's the map of major works in downtown (and the Loch Haven area):

http://www.cityoforlando.net/arts/majorworks.html

• Like 1

Public art renderings: http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/ARB/2013/05May/ARB2013-00043.pdf

I know art is subjective but the majority of the privately funded sculptures are horribly tacky; ranging from an oversized chia pet to a scuplture with limbs resembling polio deformities. The birds of "Taking Flight" is the only decent looking sculpture of the bunch, but not entirely original. It's a shame the public doesn't seem to have any say in the selection either. I'd much rather have more flower mosaics & landscaping etc than have Lake Eola visually poisoned with art pollution.

Thoughts?

Public art renderings: http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/ARB/2013/05May/ARB2013-00043.pdf

I still stand by my comments. All funds (both public and private) should be routed towards beautifying & improving our downtown.

Potholes in bricked roads patched with asphalt > tacky fish globe ornament.

Edited by nite owℓ

I still stand by my comments. All funds (both public and private) should be routed towards beautifying & improving our downtown.

Potholes in bricked roads patched with asphalt > tacky fish globe ornament.

Can always count on a beotch session from the Owl man. smh 

• Like 1

I was just on Deedee Morrison's page, and I actually like many of her other sculptures. They usually have nice ornate carvings on them, and I see several that I would like downtown. The other one she is doing for us looks better (IMO of course) in the In Progress section.

http://deedeemorrisonsculpture.com/portfolio/1/Portfolio

More of her first installation here. I just can't get into it at all:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/9/6/first_look_new_see_a.html

I thought that one was better...but I don't know that she is doing that one for us. I know it says in progress but that doesn't show on any of the plans and I would find it odd that there would be two by the same artist. Maybe I missed something?

Also for what it's worth we will be posting about all of the sculptures as they get installed on bungalwer.com and we're not afraid to peek behind the fence :)

Post on this one with a link to a google map of all the locations.

I agree, this one is a bit of a disaster.  Artistic tastes aside (and I do usually appreciate modern art) this first piece just looks sort of amateurish and the materials cheap.  

That being said, this one looks by far to be the weakest even on paper compared to all the others, so I still look forward to the project on the whole.  

Bungalower - found your FB page and saw that you have been answering "burning questions" from the peanut gallery. Love that someone already asked about the triangle property adjacent to Sky House.

Some questions that I'd be obliged to learn more about -

- Update on the Cambria Suites (sp?) that was supposed to be built at Rosalind and Washington. They demoed the old building but never developed it.

- The Axiom at Orange project on the east side of Orange Ave between Harding and Muriel in Downtown South. For as much good stuff that is happening in my part of town, that lot sits empty.

- O+C Hotel - I put 2 and 2 together that this will likely be a Residence Inn - but either way, any timeline on demo of existing buidling (red one, not Mama B) would be exciting to hear.

You asked here's the answer on the O & C Hotel on Bungalower.com

I wouldn't expect much on the other two...I'll try to get an update out on them but you won't be happy :(

Agreed. And believe it or not, it gets worse!

I'd prefer all monies heavily directed to improving downtown's streetscape, restoring/repairing bricked roads, burying power lines, adding bike lanes, updating intersections & make them more ped friendly, etc.

This city can barely raise enough money to compliment a new tax to build half a concert hall; there is no way private money is ever going to flow to fix public infrastructure.  Besides, try to imagine what would happen in this country if we allowed that.   It would only be a matter of time before certain places were, for all intents and purposes, owned by the monied interests who "donated" to fix things.  

I don't like the globe either but from houses and projects I've visited in this area of the country there are going to be a great many people who do.  And heck, in Orlando anything that has a finished surface on all four sides is ahead of 99% of the work artists are hired to do here.

I find it fortunate that this is the only one I really don't care for on the entire list.  The net enhancement to downtown with all of these pieces is really quite high (in my opinion - obviously).  

This city can barely raise enough money to compliment a new tax to build half a concert hall; there is no way private money is ever going to flow to fix public infrastructure.  Besides, try to imagine what would happen in this country if we allowed that.   It would only be a matter of time before certain places were, for all intents and purposes, owned by the monied interests who "donated" to fix things.  

I don't like the globe either but from houses and projects I've visited in this area of the country there are going to be a great many people who do.  And heck, in Orlando anything that has a finished surface on all four sides is ahead of 99% of the work artists are hired to do here.

I find it fortunate that this is the only one I really don't care for on the entire list.  The net enhancement to downtown with all of these pieces is really quite high (in my opinion - obviously).  

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm holding my opinion on this one until I see it at night. From the description, it's an illuminated piece.

Speaking of, has anyone heard if the private group has raised funds to re-light the Tower of Light (aka , the Giant Aspargus)?

Finally - some movement on the vacant lot at Orange and Pine. A year or so ago we heard about a 3 story building with a corkscrew slide from the third to the first floor.

The 9/24 BZA agenda has this site included.

The building had shrunk since the 2011 iteration. It was planned for 3 story, 13039 sqft and now is only 2 story with rooftop deck. 43 feet tall.

• Like 1

Finally - some movement on the vacant lot at Orange and Pine. A year or so ago we heard about a 3 story building with a corkscrew slide from the third to the first floor.

The building had shrunk since the 2011 iteration. It was planned for 3 story, 13039 sqft and now is only 2 story with rooftop deck. 43 feet tall.

Did we lose the slide? I'll be depressed if we did. :shok:

For those that prefer to read a story, posted on Bungalower.com this morning.

There's an ARB notice for a new high rise sign outside of Aspire. Looks like there will be a new name. I'm glad, no one ever called it the KEL building.

The new name on the building will be BBVA Compass. Don't know if I see that catching on either. So what DO people call this building? Do non-residents refer to it as Aspire?