Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Looks like they have submitted full civil plans to SJRWMD (9/24) and the developer address is listed as being in the Remax building across from Publix.  Hard to tell from plans if they intend to keep any of the existing large Oaks in the Church Street r/w.  This looks like a real project to me.

Not a fan of Taking Flight.  Lake Eola has an abundance of bird life on it's shores.  What is this sculpture supposed to offer us that we do not already have in natural form?  I'm struggling to find the artistic merit in this one. 

That's funny.  Thus far Taking Flight is one of my favorites other than that random pole on the east end of the sculpture, it really is out of place.  I think the birds with the color changing lights will be amazing.  I think it already adds a unique touch to that quieter side of the park. 

Any word on a Round 2 of See Art Orlando? I'd love to see some over in Ivanhoe Village, Mills/50, or in Downtown South.  Heck even Semoran could use a few. 

I recall seeing an article in the Sentinel a few months ago about a local group (they were some kind of professional organization) that was raising funds to restore the Tower of Light sculpture (aka, the Asparagus).

Some of the glass panels were to be replaced (one of them had a bullet hole in it) and re-do the lighting and wiring.

I've actually never seen it lit, so I'm curious how it might turn out. The base has been barricaded for the past two weeks, but I haven't seen any activity (but I run by that way after 6, so I would miss any work being done),

Edited by FLClarkKent

I recall seeing an article in the Sentinel a few months ago about a local group (they were some kind of professional organization) that was raising funds to restore the Tower of Light sculpture (aka, the Asparagus).

Some of the glass panels were to be replaced (one of them had a bullet hole in it) and re-do the lighting and wiring.

I've actually never seen it lit, so I'm curious how it might turn out. The base has been barricaded for the past two weeks, but I haven't seen any activity (but I run by that way after 6, so I would miss any work being done),

I was out yesterday and saw the same thing. I think the plan was/is to have it done by the event for the others.

The one on Church St and Orange Ave is also up. I like it!

Photos of it posted now...I was just trying to spread it out so the Bungalower doesn't turn into the See Art Orlando blog :)

I was out yesterday and saw the same thing. I think the plan was/is to have it done by the event for the others.

Photos of it posted now...I was just trying to spread it out so the Bungalower doesn't turn into the See Art Orlando blog :)

Another great update on Bungalower - thanks Matt.

I also enjoyed the Aloft phototour.  I am really interested in the success of Aloft as this is W Hotel's emergence into downtown Orlando.  It's success could mean future development opportunities downtown. 

• Like 1

Another great update on Bungalower - thanks Matt.

I also enjoyed the Aloft phototour.  I am really interested in the success of Aloft as this is W Hotel's emergence into downtown Orlando.  It's success could mean future development opportunities downtown. 

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Cannot believe they will extend Pine Street through the project.  I've been hoping for that to happen but I figured there was about no chance.  Maybe the City requested it.  Hats off to whoever made that decision.  It will lead directly to the soccer stadium also.

That's the other great thing. One thing I've noticed is Pine on the east side of Hughey is offset with the current Pine on the west side of division. How will they realign that? or will they just make it one of those angled style intersections? You can see it on google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.541091,-81.383779&spn=0.004965,0.006539&gl=us&t=h&z=18

***Should have looked at this better...

Magic-Entertainment-Complex-Aerial-Conce

Edited by truebluecfl