Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On 6/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, codypet said:

I'm missing something.  What about Edgewater Dr. and the downtown sidewalks are new?  

Corrine Dr is about to get redesigned within the year for construction within the next two.

Orange Avenue at Ivanhoe?  Are you talking about the road or the Park?  The park is fine, the road is FDOT's and its currently under design.  I'm confused.

Edgewater was completely redone in 2002. Which I realize is 20+ years ago, but it's still in great shape. (And most the Orlando cycling community isn't thrilled about the plan to remove bike lanes from Edgewater...) 

They just replaced a bunch of pavers on downtown sidewalks to have a more consistent look with the hexagons. This was part of Project DTO 2.0, I believe.

You're right, Orange Avenue along Lake Ivanhoe, Corrine Drive, and Robinson Street are finally being redesigned and funding looks to be in place. I guess I'm still disgruntled after hearing about study after study for these areas over the last 15 years with little to no action. Meanwhile, we've had plans and visions for Lymmo expansions, South Orange Avenue improvements, Colonial Drive corridor improvements, two-way streets downtown, etc. that have sat on the shelf for years. 

On 6/17/2023 at 6:08 PM, prahaboheme said:

I don’t understand this. If anything, Orlando has a failing record of creating dynamic public spaces recently, including Seneff Plaza and CV.

To each his own. I just feel like Orlando has nothing of grandeur, no wide open spaces. The current Seneff Plaza is the closest thing we have to a public square that can either 1) add a sense of place to the DPAC and City Hall or 2) act as a flexible space for gatherings and events. Additionally, I think it's a pitfall of American public space design that everything has to revolve around an activity and spending money. 

41 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

Edgewater was completely redone in 2002. Which I realize is 20+ years ago, but it's still in great shape. (And most the Orlando cycling community isn't thrilled about the plan to remove bike lanes from Edgewater...) 

It wasn't completely redone in 2002.  It was restriped as part of an ongoing planning study to determine what the permanent solution should be.  The upcoming work is just the final iteration of it.   

41 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

They just replaced a bunch of pavers on downtown sidewalks to have a more consistent look with the hexagons. This was part of Project DTO 2.0, I believe.

No they're still planning DTO 2.0.  Any downtown pavers being redone is simply maintenance. 

The reality is that there's multiple agencies dealing with the roads in question.

The two Orange Ave projects and Robinson are FDOT.  The City is kind of at the mercy of what FDOT has available for those roads.

My understanding is the City didn't even own all of Corrine Dr. until very recently so it's not like they could do anything until then.

I'm by no means an apologist for the City, but I feel like in this case the fault doesn't lay exclusively on the City here.  Its a ton of other factors in the background.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

You're right, Orange Avenue along Lake Ivanhoe, Corrine Drive, and Robinson Street are finally being redesigned and funding looks to be in place. I guess I'm still disgruntled after hearing about study after study for these areas over the last 15 years with little to no action. Meanwhile, we've had plans and visions for Lymmo expansions, South Orange Avenue improvements, Colonial Drive corridor improvements, two-way streets downtown, etc. that have sat on the shelf for years. 

To each his own. I just feel like Orlando has nothing of grandeur, no wide open spaces. The current Seneff Plaza is the closest thing we have to a public square that can either 1) add a sense of place to the DPAC and City Hall or 2) act as a flexible space for gatherings and events. Additionally, I think it's a pitfall of American public space design that everything has to revolve around an activity and spending money

Public Square...kinda like Bryant Park?  Well, we have Heritage Square at Magnolia & Central.  But we also have the CV Park, Lake Dot Park behind EA...Seneff Plaza...of course Lake Eola Park...and that Gertrude's Walk sculpture/I-4 ramp afterthought park near Colonial.  The Federal Courthouse has that heavily guarded park with sculpture facing Division... and the Orange County Admin Bldg has a lot of land devoted to green space and loitering.  And we have Lake Ivanhoe Park to the north, Lake Lucerne Park to the south, and then Constitution Green to the SE. 

Even Cleveland has a public square right in the center of their downtown which connects to two parks to the north making a long rectangle of green "parks" facing Lake Erie.

The best Orlando could hope for would be to convert The Sentinel property to a two major blocks (probably 8 blocks) of a rectangular park touching Colonial on one end and Amelia on the other end, and have that one street cut through it. But Orlando needs to build skinnier and taller, because I've see a lot of wasted lateral space... 

The spending of money- you make a good point...

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, aent said:

My and everyone I know's EV use NACS plugs, most people will not be able to use these stations until they retrofit them with new plugs.

Ironically I just used a NACS to J1772 connector on a Tesla Charger at the Millenia Mall while a Tesla used a J1772 to NACS connector on the Chargepoint unit next to it just because of the timing of how we arrived.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a construction fence up, equipment, and a port-a-potty on site at the former 7-11 location today. Not sure what they are planning, but assume they are making some sitework improvements to the new "pocket park" instead of it just staying as an empty lot. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5b6ecb8f9ce8880faad32b5bd33df12e.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Looks nice but I hope priority is given to shade trees. Palm trees are nice but they are worthless. If this is truly to be a park, oaks are needed.

Exactly.

That is nowhere close to what I was hoping to see there.

I would have liked to have seen a circular center planter with an oak or some other shade tree in it, with the planter and pavers being some type of stone or possibly even good old red brick. 

Maybe a combination.  

This is useless for everyone except those who like to sweat and/or get sunburned. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Anybody know where in downtown Orlando the growthspotter account is referencing for a 10 story project by a Miami developer? 

Church and S Osceola in Thornton Park.

I hope it happens, particularly the public art at the entrance and the rooftop garden.

• Like 1