Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Wow. Paul Oakenfold once graced the DJ scene here.  Did not know that.

I would like to see Ace reopen somewhere in CFLA…

And the Chemical Brothers…and Digweed and Sasha…A VERY different scene in the mid-90’s to what you see today.  I’d have friends drive down from Atlanta to see what the buzz was about.  Alas, Orlando was still a sleepy Southern town at heart…

3 hours ago, jliv said:

And the Chemical Brothers…and Digweed and Sasha…A VERY different scene in the mid-90’s to what you see today.  I’d have friends drive down from Atlanta to see what the buzz was about.  Alas, Orlando was still a sleepy Southern town at heart…

Yeah... I also liked Prodigy and Sash!...the Encore un Foi band. Chemical Bros did Busy Child, right?

I was only a kid in the 90's but hang around the dance music scene now. Even at EDC's of today, artists like Kaskade always mention that they remember playing here way back in the day when it was all underground. Since the pandemic, Insomniac has really made Orlando a focal spot and we get top-tier talent almost weekly at Vanguard, which in turn has made places like Celine start to book top talent too. We also have multiple fests now - Forbidden Kingdom which is more bass music is in the next couple weeks and then of course, EDC Orlando. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I was only a kid in the 90's but hang around the dance music scene now. Even at EDC's of today, artists like Kaskade always mention that they remember playing here way back in the day when it was all underground. Since the pandemic, Insomniac has really made Orlando a focal spot and we get top-tier talent almost weekly at Vanguard, which in turn has made places like Celine start to book top talent too. We also have multiple fests now - Forbidden Kingdom which is more bass music is in the next couple weeks and then of course, EDC Orlando. 

yeah, and The Beacham... they get concerts where I see people in two lines, one that wraps around Central to the south and one that wraps around Washington to the north.  Just amazing...

Celine is Magnolia and Court, right?

17 hours ago, jliv said:

Oh, and Brooklyn Bounce made an "Orlando Bounce" version of that track back then as well.

21 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Way more than Oakenfold. Orlando was the center of EDM. That was back in the days where Florida wasn’t hostile to entertainment and people actually living their lives.

The Republican machine has done it’s damage — meanwhile it goes somewhere else.

I remember when they put the kaibosh on open all night bars under the Hood administration; back when Orlando made it to Rolling Stone Magazine in notoriety.  That sucked when that happened b/c Orlando had "a name" albeit notorious.  That was back when the DJ's were en force, Lou Pearlman and his bands making it to the international music scene, etc.  

However, here, you have  an almost 20 year Democrat regime at City Hall where the best they can come up with is to charge bar owners an extra permit fee to serve past midnight; the complete opposite of being bar friendly.  Now, if I was to compare an open-till-2am hours of operation adjustment to no serving past midnight unless you pony up even more cheddar, I'd say the latter is worse than the former.  Not to mention The City's stance on bars to begin with, wanting to put a cap on the number of them or to reduce them.  And if you recall during covid, The City came down on bars and they sued them in response.  Gays go out and party, right, late at night, and not just straight people?  How do you reconcile that?  Who's the Republican that was behind that, Buddy's secret lover, that shifty beotch otherwise known as Dee?

EDC still comes here even though DeSantis is governor. And shows like Megacon are as big as they've ever been, and not just in Orlando. And Disney is thriving as seen with their Parks numbers and MCO numbers.  Concerts are booked at Amway like nobody's business.  Plays and concerts are booked at DPAC, Miami's PAC, Tampa's PAC, and every other city's PAC in Florida.  Gay strippers still sling it at Mangos on Ocean Drive, Fantasy Fest hasn't been canceled last I checked; Nude Nite hasn't been canceled last I checked in Orlando or in Tampa.  The sleaziest (and I use sleazy as a term of endearment) bars are still thriving all over the state that both straights and gays go to.  And boring people still go out at night in DTO.

So what exactly are you talking about?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I remember....back when the DJ's were en force, Lou Pearlman and his bands making it to the international music scene, etc.  

Correction....  "....the international SH*TTY music scene..."  

That crap was an embarrassment to be associated with.

While Seattle produced cool grunge bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc., 

Orlando & Pervman produced laughable preteen girl fan "bands" like Backstreet Boys, 'N Sync, O-Town.  :ermm:

:stop: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

While Seattle produced cool grunge bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc., 

Orlando & Pervman produced laughable preteen girl fan "bands" like Backstreet Boys, 'N Sync, O-Town.  :ermm:

...don't forget Mandy Moore...

yeah, well, not every day is a Sunday (as they say)...

2 hours ago, codypet said:

By the time the Boy BandsTM showed up on the scene the Macarena was the biggest thing out there.  I think the Spice Girls were at their peak by then too.

I tell ya what I want...what I really really want...

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

No!!! No!!! Just... :stop: 

I wonder if Spice World finally drove Sir Roger Moore to his new address...

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

a real bummer.  I remember when Oklahoma Joe's was supposed to open a sister property there to compliment the one at One Daytona.  It opened in DB, and closed within a few short months due to "mismanagement."

Now, I guess a group is buying that land at Ace to build residential?  Doesn't OUC have a mini-power station near there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Take lots of pictures of the old historic building while you can.

It likely won't be around much longer.

And in typical Orlando fashion, it could get torn down and the lot will sit empty for umpteen years.  

17 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Take lots of pictures of the old historic building while you can.

It likely won't be around much longer.

And in typical Orlando fashion, it could get torn down and the lot will sit empty for umpteen years.  

man, I hope not (hope in one hand and...)

• Like 1

Thought this was interesting:

Screenshot_20230530_174532_Firefox.thumb.jpg.76601facc1f88e4daa98403d5beaefc0.jpg

https://bj105.com/nightlife/the-edge-nightclub-orlando-defunct/

I missed out on The Edge since I was still a kid back then, but I did go there when it turned into a country bar (8 Seconds). Saw 2 trucks having a tug of war in the parking lot 😅

I think even after the Edge went away, Orlando still retained a few techno/rave clubs because a friend of mine worked at a few clubs as a go-go dancer. I just remember her telling me all kinds of drug-infused tales... including a club that opened which served "oxygen shots".

@prahabohemeThere were quite a few rave clubs that continued into the 2000's because I remember they always wound up in the news after being raided by the police for drugs/OD (aka Club Cyberzone). For a while, it was like wack-a-mole for the City where they would close down one club only for another to pop up and take it's place.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

This is one example of a potential high rise construction site where I would be 100% behind the city requiring the developer to save the (north and east) facades and incorporate them into the building's design.

Unlike the Woolworth's and McCrory's parcel, this site is way off the beaten path so to speak, of "Main & Main", and the Leu building is architecturally and historically worth saving. 

026.jpg

I have a hunch they won't care what I think about it, though.  

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Thought this was interesting:

Screenshot_20230530_174532_Firefox.thumb.jpg.76601facc1f88e4daa98403d5beaefc0.jpg

https://bj105.com/nightlife/the-edge-nightclub-orlando-defunct/

I missed out on The Edge since I was still a kid back then, but I did go there when it turned into a country bar (8 Seconds). Saw 2 trucks having a tug of war in the parking lot 😅

I think even after the Edge went away, Orlando still retained a few techno/rave clubs because a friend of mine worked at a few clubs as a go-go dancer. I just remember her telling me all kinds of drug-infused tales... including a club that opened which served "oxygen shots".

@prahabohemeThere were quite a few rave clubs that continued into the 2000's because I remember they always wound up in the news after being raided by the police for drugs/OD (aka Club Cyberzone). For a while, it was like wack-a-mole for the City where they would close down one club only for another to pop up and take it's place.

LOL!  I guess Courtney Love smacked some fan with her Doll Parts...  I think she drove Kurt to suicide

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Yeah... I also liked Prodigy and Sash!...the Encore un Foi band. Chemical Bros did Busy Child, right?

No, The Crystal Method did "Busy Child" 

not promoting, but. . .  Iffen' you want to go to old school Firestone and for all the crusties: 

https://www.thevanguard.live/event/rabbit-in-the-moon-ft-the-crystal-method-642572169657

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, JFW657 said:

Orlando also produced Matchbox 20/Tabitha’s Secret and Seven Mary Three around that time…A couple of the musicians for Tabitha’s Secret were Pete Best x2; Atlantic Records only wanted to sign Rob Thomas and two others, so they ditched the 2 weakest links and hired 2 session musicians for Matchbox 20, and packed up for LA.   Also, I think a couple of the Creed guys were from Orlando, but the band formed in Tallahassee.  (So at least Orlando dodged having to claim them as a local band)

Edited by jliv
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jliv said:

Orlando also produced Matchbox 20/Tabitha’s Secret and Seven Mary Three around that time…A couple of the musicians for Tabitha’s Secret were Pete Best x2; Atlantic Records only wanted to sign Rob Thomas and two others, so they ditched the 2 weakest links and hired 2 session musicians for Matchbox 20, and packed up for LA.   Also, I think a couple of the Creed guys were from Orlando, but the band formed in Tallahassee.  (So at least Orlando dodged having to claim them as a local band)

Yeah, I remembered Matchbox 20 while I was posting that, but to my knowledge, they were never anywhere near as big time as any of those Seattle grunge bands.

And having one fairly successful mainstream rock band still can't cover up the smell of those "pretty boy" song & dance groups. 

My biggest problem with the term "boy band" was that I never considered any of them a band. FWIU, a band consists of musicians playing instruments. All I ever saw those geeks doing was prancing around and lip synching. 

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

New Mural showed up next to the old one in North Quarter. These are on the back side of the Tony's Donut Shop building at Orange and 50. 

PXL_20230529_235126247.jpg

I like it! :thumbsup:

Edited by JFW657