Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Seems like it would occur to them to get a metal sign and bolt it to the wall. 

It is.  The gets torn off anyway.

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

People even try to sneak into condo parking garages for free parking or sneak in to use restrooms. I really don't miss any of that, some people act like anything goes while downtown and behave like wild animals when you try to correct them.

I don't recall that happening 10 years ago.  Now it seems like you can't even look at someone without them going off.  What happened?

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

People even try to sneak into condo parking garages for free parking or sneak in to use restrooms. I really don't miss any of that, some people act like anything goes while downtown and behave like wild animals when you try to correct them.

Paid parking cuts down on a lot of riff raff, sorry but free parking is not the way to go bc the bad apples ruin ot for everyone. Most issues arise from people loitering indefinitely in the on street parking spaces or while parking for free on private lots where there is no enforcement. Downtown residents, myself included, have been complaining about illegally parked cars for years and nothing really gets done bc the issue continued daily/weekly for years in certain hot spots.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I don't recall that happening 10 years ago.  Now it seems like you can't even look at someone without them going off.  What happened?

I think people trying to sneak in for restrooms is a tale as old as time.  But typically if you get caught you just walk away.  To @codypet's point, there's now an aggressiveness and entitlement.

Parking is such a delicate issue.  I'm all for getting rid of parking.  However, much of downtown business is a service economy.  Those bartenders need somewhere to park because not exactly any transit available at 4AM when shifts end.  A lot already park like a mile away.

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

Those bartenders need somewhere to park because not exactly any transit available at 4AM when shifts end.  A lot already park like a mile away.

That was originally cited as the reason for closing Tijuana Flats downtown.  They didn't feel it was safe for their staff to walk to their cars at the end of their shifts.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

The other 25% feel entitled to free or convenient parking. They know what the space is for after checking out the charging station and signs before walking off without paying. 

I will also add, now that I'm rereading this.  The City does get revenue from those EV spots.  Charging at them isn't free.  There's the normal $0.16 /kwh charge and then a flat fee on top of it as well.  So it would be in the City's best interest to enforce.  Baldwin Harbor, or the WP Library are free so yea, I can see where they're not necessarily hurting anything for themselves if they don't enforce, but in the case of the City, they're 100% charging.  I'd like to know what the Charging hub is gonna look like when its done.  Will it be full of gas cars, blocking the chargers.  Especially once the food truck place opens?  Sidenote:  The charging stations are in there, just still wrapped up and not set up.  I might get a shot of it later if I remember.

Edited by codypet

4 hours ago, codypet said:

As life has gotten better over the years and most of the "real" problems have disappeared, the politicians have resorted to telling people that they ARE entitled to use other people's property and its racist or at least "evil capitalism" if you don't make your restroom public, allow people to steal, park where they want, etc...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, codypet said:

Coat the back of the metal sign and the threads of the bolts with some good construction adhesive maybe? 

71ru5lNm14L._SX342_.jpg

10 hours ago, codypet said:

don't recall that happening 10 years ago.  Now it seems like you can't even look at someone without them going off.  What happened?

8 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

To @codypet's point, there's now an aggressiveness and entitlement.

Yes, I was going to say basically the same thing, or something along those lines.

We can all see how society has changed in the past decade.  Ten years ago, the people who are in their mid 20's now were kids, in their mid teens. As parents and society have gotten more and more permissive, each new generation has developed more and more of a sense of entitlement.

Because they have been raised with the belief that they should always get whatever they want, people have become more vocal and demanding about what they see as their fundamental human right to do so. Now, there are people from that generation who feel that they can do things like go into any building they want to and relieve themselves.

They see it as their right.

Try to take it away and you're gonna get a fight. 

I was raised with high levels of guilt so even if I tried to be so callous, I'd be afraid someone would mess with my car or something.  Actually even when I did park where I was supposed to one day, it didn't keep my passenger doors from getting so badly keyed that its still on the doors to this day.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:42 PM, JFW657 said:

Coat the back of the metal sign and the threads of the bolts with some good construction adhesive maybe? 

71ru5lNm14L._SX342_.jpg

Yes, I was going to say basically the same thing, or something along those lines.

We can all see how society has changed in the past decade.  Ten years ago, the people who are in their mid 20's now were kids, in their mid teens. As parents and society have gotten more and more permissive, each new generation has developed more and more of a sense of entitlement.

Because they have been raised with the belief that they should always get whatever they want, people have become more vocal and demanding about what they see as their fundamental human right to do so. Now, there are people from that generation who feel that they can do things like go into any building they want to and relieve themselves.

They see it as their right.

Try to take it away and you're gonna get a fight. 

LOL.  But not really LOL...

a colleague in Uptown Altamonte two years ago told me a vagrant was doing that by their front door.  Around that time, I took the stairs at work and noticed a freshly used condom just laying there minding its own business...

On 5/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, codypet said:

Oops, I was trying to restrain myself from going off on a tangent while starting to blend sentences... my wild animals comment was not about people who wanted to use the restroom, girls were usually polite, most guys and very few girls typically relieved themselves in the bushes around condos and Lake Eola.

I was referring to entitled people (visitors, renters, and even some owners) acting like wild animals when you try to correct them when they tried to do whatever they want while on the property. I guess everyone is on edge and high strung, taking out our frustrations on each other. I just hate that our downtown in general seems like a free for all, while people seem more behaved in places like downtown Winter Park. Then again, I've never lived in downtown WP, so maybe a lot of crap goes down in that area that I don't know about!

On 5/17/2023 at 1:43 PM, aent said:

As life has gotten better over the years and most of the "real" problems have disappeared, the politicians have resorted to telling people that they ARE entitled to use other people's property and its racist or at least "evil capitalism" if you don't make your restroom public, allow people to steal, park where they want, etc...

See Starbucks 2020 shutdown and reeducation fiasco...

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I just hate that our downtown in general seems like a free for all, while people seem more behaved in places like downtown Winter Park. Then again, I've never lived in downtown WP, so maybe a lot of crap goes down in that area that I don't know about!

One can only imagine what those little Rollins College savages are like on a drunken tear...

Screenshot-2015-05-29-14-56-08.png

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Oops, I was trying to restrain myself from going off on a tangent while starting to blend sentences... my wild animals comment was not about people who wanted to use the restroom, girls were usually polite, most guys and very few girls typically relieved themselves in the bushes around condos and Lake Eola.

I was referring to entitled people (visitors, renters, and even some owners) acting like wild animals when you try to correct them when they tried to do whatever they want while on the property. I guess everyone is on edge and high strung, taking out our frustrations on each other. I just hate that our downtown in general seems like a free for all, while people seem more behaved in places like downtown Winter Park. Then again, I've never lived in downtown WP, so maybe a lot of crap goes down in that area that I don't know about!

I think downtown WP is pretty behaved with a steady sense of decorum; not much by way of Ferrari's drag racing down Park Ave...

Downtown Orlando is a little bit of a free for all. I was out last night and there was quite a mix of patrons and partiers. That's the beauty of it; if you're trying to be more low key and chill then Park Ave is your place; if you want to get high just walking down the sidewalk, then DTO is for you (um, from Church St north, that is)...

I totally dig the DTO scene when I'm in that mood...I try and convince myself that I'm in Nashville or The French Quarter, or, I just embrace what we got...which is decent...

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 1:48 PM, jrs2 said:

I think downtown WP is pretty behaved with a steady sense of decorum; not much by way of Ferrari's drag racing down Park Ave...

Downtown Orlando is a little bit of a free for all. I was out last night and there was quite a mix of patrons and partiers. That's the beauty of it; if you're trying to be more low key and chill then Park Ave is your place; if you want to get high just walking down the sidewalk, then DTO is for you (um, from Church St north, that is)...

I totally dig the DTO scene when I'm in that mood...I try and convince myself that I'm in Nashville or The French Quarter, or, I just embrace what we got...which is decent...

For sure, that's why I bought in downtown during my 20's because I liked the grunge factor of living downtown. I viewed WP as too stiff... granted during that time WP was a bit stagnant. But what's the point of having a Nashville or French Quarter scene if you might not survive it?

I'm not against having a good time, but there needs to be a balance. We should not tolerate issues that erode the quality of life for residents and visitors. General lawlessness breeds an unsafe environment and causes a downward spiral due to a lack of enforcement. It's one thing to visit, because you get to leave it all behind when you return to the cocoon of your safe neighborhood. Meanwhile it's a completely different experience to deal with the ramifications of living in a free-for-all environment day in, day out with no support from the city.

Since the security checkpoints and crackdowns have initiated, shootings have gone down drastically and I'm assuming people are better behaved and probably feel safer going downtown too. The city should take it even further and include roving patrols at Lake Eola and surrounding streets to handle the influx of people going downtown and take a more proactive law enforcement approach.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

So whats going to happen to ACE Cafe now that they close? Any ideas for re-use of space?

Who knows but the building will be demoed to make space for a high-rise apartment building. I haven't heard anything but I hope it's worth it. Leveling Ace Cafe for another Radius would be horrific in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Who knows but the building will be demoed to make space for a high-rise apartment building. I haven't heard anything but I hope it's worth it. Leveling Ace Cafe for another Radius would be horrific in my opinion.

Those buildings are in good condition and should be saved. The parking lot is plenty of space for another bland Orlando mid rise tower.

6 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Someone else just told me the same thing…about a high rise going in there…is there a link you can post about it?

56 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Wow. Paul Oakenfold once graced the DJ scene here.  Did not know that.

I would like to see Ace reopen somewhere in CFLA…

Way more than Oakenfold. Orlando was the center of EDM. That was back in the days where Florida wasn’t hostile to entertainment and people actually living their lives.

The Republican machine has done it’s damage — meanwhile it goes somewhere else.

Edited by prahaboheme