Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The Chamber of Commerce building comes from the days when Orlando had architects who followed in the footsteps of the great like Frank Lloyd Wright instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator like Baker Barrios:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-1021-story.html

From Joy Wallace Dickinson and The Sentinel.

But hey, when it comes to visors…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Project is dead in the water on funding right now AFAIK. 

Latest is a $10 Million gift from Ginsburg, along with an project budget increased to $40 Million due to cost increases.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-ne-ginsburg-family-foundation-gives-40million-nemours-holocaust-center-ucf-20220302-2zf5dvdmefanbfkivxoql34ra4-story.html

• Like 3

It's a worthy cause.  I have just heard on the construction side that they are struggling with overall funding of the budget. The longer it goes on, the more expensive it gets to build, so the funding they are receiving is just trying to catch up with construction cost inflation at this point. They pulled the construction proposal/bid process after they funded the design process because they realized they can't afford what was designed and may have to scale back if they can't meet that with funding. 

This will continue to be an issue with construction cost in this current environment, which is why I am glad Society PH I will probably get done, but skeptical of phase II. 

I really hope the CSP2/Edge project gets done. The market is hard to make projects work right now with volatile inflation and trade shortage due to large ongoing projects still. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, klstorey said:

Finally, any hope that we ever get the artwork back on these frames? I loved the retro postcards but there's so many opportunities for art pieces here. 

20220310_132650.jpg

I imagine this was required during the proposal.  The city can't levy fines for non-compliance with the terms of the design?

11 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

It's a worthy cause.  I have just heard on the construction side that they are struggling with overall funding of the budget. The longer it goes on, the more expensive it gets to build, so the funding they are receiving is just trying to catch up with construction cost inflation at this point. They pulled the construction proposal/bid process after they funded the design process because they realized they can't afford what was designed and may have to scale back if they can't meet that with funding. 

This will continue to be an issue with construction cost in this current environment, which is why I am glad Society PH I will probably get done, but skeptical of phase II. 

I really hope the CSP2/Edge project gets done. The market is hard to make projects work right now with volatile inflation and trade shortage due to large ongoing projects still. 

Why not kick things off in the Chamber building before ramping up to the expansion building?  That would give them the ability to raise awareness with an actual presence on the ground.

• Like 2

While the concept sure makes sense, there may not be enough space. The building’s actual useable space is deceptive from outside.

I volunteered for the Chamber in college and the building always made me claustrophobic.

When the building was designed in the ‘60’s, the Chamber staff wasn’t all that big and the impressive building mattered a lot more than the amount of usable space.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, W7edwin said:

Saw some people on the roof this Tuesday. Hopefully it means that they will finally move on with the renovations…… or just bulldoze it and build a 30 story building like they should lol 

64805A46-27F0-4370-8964-BE60A32A610D.jpeg

It's just the Be Sharps Reunion!

-UJpUVEmBVXgeZX2_LWXcX-qGa0=.gif

Edited by codypet
  • Haha 3

On 3/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, W7edwin said:

Saw some people on the roof this Tuesday. Hopefully it means that they will finally move on with the renovations…… or just bulldoze it and build a 30 story building like they should lol 

64805A46-27F0-4370-8964-BE60A32A610D.jpeg

wow, that is a bigger building than it looks like at first glance...  looks like a setting for a '70's action movie roof sequence

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

wow, that is a bigger building than it looks like at first glance...  looks like a setting for a '70's action movie roof sequence

Remember, that building was constructed for the army of lawyers AT&T planned to hire to fight the split of the Bell System. At the last minute, they chose not to. It was a decision that has been debated ever since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Just read that the group that purchased the Veranda just bought Thorton Park Central.  Was that still owner by Ustler Group?

Asking because Ustler also just sold the GAI building.  Perhaps gearing up for something new?

I think it had been previously bought by some insurance group or other. I think Ustler’s been out of it for a while.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Just read that the group that purchased the Veranda just bought Thorton Park Central.  Was that still owner by Ustler Group?

Asking because Ustler also just sold the GAI building.  Perhaps gearing up for something new?

He seems to be focused on CV. I assume he has a few more buildings planned over there.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I think it had been previously bought by some insurance group or other. I think Ustler’s been out of it for a while.

Ustler did still own TPC and GAI. The Verandah was owned by an insurance firm. Ustler recently closed on 3 lots in CV and is developing those buildings- the hotel Moxie, another apartment building and an office building.

From OBJ- "The sale of Thornton Park Central Retail and the GAI Building were intentional to give me more time to focus on Creative Village and Health Village," Ustler told Orlando Business Journal.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 2