Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Don't they also run the Johnny Rivers food outlets at OIA? They might be attempting a multi-tiered strategy where not every location is a full blown restaurant like what they've done to-date. With those restaurants plus these limited service locations- not to mention a very successful catering business- it seems like they are going to have every base covered.

Moved to Charlotte in 2013, but I'm back in Orlando for a couple of days.

You guys don't know how good you've got it. The roads in Orlando are PRISTINE compared to any other US city I've lived in or visited.

It's not even close.

I would agree with that especially with our system of toll roads. I've been very impressed with the work being done by that agency. I live on the west side of Orange County and we have a great system of toll roads growing around us. I can get anywhere fairly quickly.

The quality of the roads - CHECK

The effectiveness of the roads - MEH

We need more laterals and a true circle highway would've been better than this Frankenstein 417/429 mess. 

1. Get the 414 over to 417

2. Find a way through the attractions to get 528 over to 429

3. Get 408 to 429 without the spider web of garbage you have now

4. Get 408 to I-95

The quality of the roads - CHECK

The effectiveness of the roads - MEH

We need more laterals and a true circle highway would've been better than this Frankenstein 417/429 mess. 

1. Get the 414 over to 417

2. Find a way through the attractions to get 528 over to 429

3. Get 408 to 429 without the spider web of garbage you have now

4. Get 408 to I-95

1. next to impossible. loaded to the brim with neighborhoods. the eminent  domain hearings and lawsuits would go on for eons. 

2. impossible considering you would need to go through the big sand lake and butler chain of lakes. too much money and influence in that area so never will happen. also, will need to cut into disney property, which i dont believe eminent domain would work on since reedy creek themselves are an improvement district. 

3. plausible if we can allocate the funds

4. see #3

I'm most excited about Ugrean. It'll be great to have a quick, customizable salad place on my end of Orange. Currently I have to go all the way down to Eden's past Chase Plaza which can be tough between meetings.

Could the entry by DD spur other national fast food places to join the bandwagon? My kingdom for a Bojangles.

Seems to be a very reasonable tenant mix. Nothing groundbreaking, but it is exciting to see a national chain take interest in downtown. Could be a sign of things to come. These also seem to be very reasonable retailers for the location. No fancy restaurants, but good, quick breakfast/lunch options for the courthouse crowd. 

LAKE EOLA SENIOR LIVING - plans for a 2-phased senior living development - 7 stories, 95 units. 421 E Robinson

Currently a 1-story flat building housing Lighthouse Works!

Any ground floor retail? I always envisioned an upscale restaurant built on a tiered slope on that lot... something like Hillstone (fka Houston's).

• 2 weeks later...

^^ I'm not sure I get this.  In the Collier poster it only says "1/2 Block Lot for sale."  There is a disclaimer that the rendering (intended to show a suggested use for the lot) is not to be taken as an actual project.  This rendering looks the same as another project 7-8 years ago to be built a bit further to the east, possibly behind the Panera Bread store that never got built.  Comments about the design then were similarly negative.