Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

If this was just to accompany the proposal, they probably didn't put too much time or money into it would be my thought. If it's approved, I hope we'll get something that feels more like a luxury hotel. Their main competition will be the Grand Bo across the street, and a great looking building will sell more rooms... right?

I do like cwetteland's thought of a tile mural, it could be our own Bacardi building. 

• Like 1

It's time for the ARB to step in.

The only thing that really bothers me is the big blank white walls on the end and below the infinity pool.  I think some kind of tile mural ... or something.  Maybe blue tile below the pool and let the water overflow down the tile.

Same thing I was saying re: the big, blank white walls on the back side of the PAC.

Needs something to tone down that big, blank white slab.

it is just a massing but the site is unfortunate to have no back of the house. You have DPAC behind you, south to the north, the plaza to the south and orange to the west. Where do you load and collect he garbage. There are no good answers. 

I would keep is as public space but I know DPAC desperately needs to money. 

it is just a massing but the site is unfortunate to have no back of the house. You have DPAC behind you, south to the north, the plaza to the south and orange to the west. Where do you load and collect he garbage. There are no good answers. 

I would keep is as public space but I know DPAC desperately needs to money. 

Secret underground tunnels. Bonus points if they're haunted.

Hotel's loading dock and trash to face the DPCPA with access off of Magnolia.

They should copy the Aloft and the Center itself and become valet-only and nix the parking garage. 

I've always heard that pedestrians only pay attention to the first three or four stories of a building.  If stories two and three are blank walls instead of windows and balconies, it'll give the plaza a really stale look.

^^

I don't like it.  Downtown hotels aren't supposed to have balconies.  There are supposed to be sleek buildings.  But if you don't want sleek, then do what Grand Bohemian did. 

Anyway, this is a building for building's sake and nothing more per this rendering.  Crescent Central Station looks better than this.  Seriously.  This resembles Cabana Bay.

This is like that 800 N. Orange project in that they aren't making full use of the parcel.

And...

It's so darn short.  At least double the number of hotel room floors to 8 to make it look more symetrical.

This doesn't even resemble Vue in overall design characteristics.  If they want to be similar to DPAC, then cover the entire building in glass wall or the illusion of it.

Between all of the recent modern looking buildings- DPAC, the new Methodist Church across the street, Amway, and Amway's GEICO Garage, this comes in last...by a lot.

Edited by jrs2

^^

I don't like it.  Downtown hotels aren't supposed to have balconies.  There are supposed to be sleek buildings.  But if you don't want sleek, then do what Grand Bohemian did. 

Anyway, this is a building for building's sake and nothing more per this rendering.  Crescent Central Station looks better than this.  Seriously.  This resembles Cabana Bay.

This doesn't even resemble Vue in overall design characteristics.  If they want to be similar to DPAC, then cover the entire building in glass wall or the illusion of it.

Worse yet, it sort of resembles that old motor lodge that used to be next door to the old Sun Bank....

c682154.jpg

...or maybe a slightly modernized version of it.

About the same overall size & dimensions, anyway.

On my run this morning, I noticed they have started construction on Ace Café and have signs posted opening Summer 2015.  Further down on Garland, across from Lynx Station on the block between Amelia and Concord, there is some sort of construction activity.  There is a construction trailer and dirt being moved, but I am not aware of any project.  The hotel on Colonial and Orange has started painting its exterior.

Glad to see Ace coming along. In regards to the activity at Amelia and Concord, I believe I read somewhere that this was the staging area/offices for I4 ultimate project. I could be wrong though. Don't know why they're turning dirt though unless they plan on building a more permanent office rather than the trailers.

• 4 weeks later...