Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I am hearing January start according @CLT Development socials.    Tallest building on the greenway in Charlotte by a long shot.  

FB_IMG_1701712988356.jpg

FB_IMG_1701712992064.jpg

FB_IMG_1701712998370.jpg

This is an awful design. When are we going to get a development that fully considers how it interacts with its surroundings? It would not be hard to better disguise the parking and create a welcoming ground floor, but I guess cheap money talks.  

• Like 3

Is the groundfloor just concrete and brick?  Its hard to even tell what is going on in this rendering, but if so thats pretty disappointing.  They should plant some fast-growing trees to block that out from the greenway regardless.

While the groundfloor stinks, I think residential in this spot is a big win for overall density and greenway utilization.  If I was in the market for an apartment I would like to live in this area.   I'd be significantly more bummed out by the rendering if it was office.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Vitamin_N said:

This was news to me but Joan's Bakery & Deli has been open on the greenway side of the metropolitan for a few months. It's takeout only but there are a few tables outside.

Am I missing something, or are they really charging $18+ for a pretty regular sized (maybe even on the smaller side), single ingredient sandwich?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Making Pastrami is an expensive endeavor at scale. Not only is a full brisket pretty expensive, but the curing process takes 10-days, requires a good amount of refrigerator space (12"x 20" for a brisket plus whatever you are brining it in), and the smoking process in a restaurant setting takes quite a bit of ventilation. I make pastrami and corned beef every year at home for friends at the beginning of spring. I cure each part of the brisket, boil one, and crust/smoke the other. The same sandwich is $30 at Katz, tho I admit Katz will take full days/years off your life they are so bountiful with beef.

Maybe someone needs to contact Leo from the former Leo's Deli on Elizabeth and ask him or his former employees how they managed to avoid inflation prices one items like pastrami. Opps! Sorry, there is no inflation. Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Professor said:

Maybe someone needs to contact Leo from the former Leo's Deli on Elizabeth and ask him or his former employees how they managed to avoid inflation prices one items like pastrami. Opps! Sorry, there is no inflation. Right?

I remember Leo's Deli, and I'm pretty sure their Pastrami was made in a factory and came in a vacuum sealed bag, just like at most Deli's. 

Edited by CLT Development

45 minutes ago, Professor said:

Maybe if Leo's raised their prices they wouldn't have closed their business. I don't see how referencing a business that shut down 14 years ago has any relevance to prices, inflation or anything at all today.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Maybe if Leo's raised their prices they wouldn't have closed their business. I don't see how referencing a business that shut down 14 years ago has any relevance to prices, inflation or anything at all today.  

Thanks for confirming the date, I was pretty sure they closed in 2010-12, but couldn't remember exactly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I remember Leo's Deli, and I'm pretty sure their Pastrami was made in a factory and came in a vacuum sealed bag, just like at most Deli's. 

It was still good and not outrageous. The only sandwich I have spent $18 for was recently in Bar Harbor, Maine for a lobster roll. It had no taste, and the deli was supposed to be the home of the lobster roll. This place in Midtown is charging $18 for a pastrami sandwich and the place isn't even the "home of the pastrami sandwich." 

5 hours ago, Prodev said:

He had a thriving business for a long time.  He probably did well because he was reasonably priced even back then.

• Like 2

I noticed Lost World Brewing signage is up at the Metropolitan. This should be a good foot traffic generator when it opens. Will this be the only brewery in Charlotte off a greenway (excluding the Rail Trail)? 

Edited by CLT2014