Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

That's a cool photo JayGee. There appears to be a camera man (up the stairway, in the orange vest) looking back at you. He could be holding something else, but it looks like a camera. Also appears as if the construction men are enjoying the view...apparently they're not too scared of heights!

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a cool photo JayGee. There appears to be a camera man (up the stairway, in the orange vest) looking back at you. He could be holding something else, but it looks like a camera. Also appears as if the construction men are enjoying the view...apparently they're not too scared of heights!

Yeah it looks like he is shooting video. I don't think he's looking at me. I was just a dot on S. Tryon!

111776048.jpg

This raises an interesting question (for me anyway). How are they going to do the handle? It doesn't seem like you can just build it across that span. Maybe its some kind of pre-fabbed piece that is set in place by the cranes or helicopter? Or is it too big for that?

If it is pre-fabbed and set in, man, I want to be there for that!

Ohmigod I couldn't agree more. If that handle is in one piece and is set atop the tower as a complete structure, it would be the biggest thrill for skyscraper afficionados in ages. To witness such a thing would be a huge privilege.

Thanks for all the great photos guys... This tower is going to be a jewel. I was only hoping that the handle would've been in place more for this weekend for the Quail Hollow PGA tourney. CBS will be doing plenty of pans of uptown during their telecast and it would've been cool if this thing had a few more weeks on it... Oh well. Still impressive to show off though!

Thanks for all the great photos guys... This tower is going to be a jewel. I was only hoping that the handle would've been in place more for this weekend for the Quail Hollow PGA tourney. CBS will be doing plenty of pans of uptown during their telecast and it would've been cool if this thing had a few more weeks on it... Oh well. Still impressive to show off though!

I don't know about anyone else, but this tower has exceeded my expectations of the impact it would have on the Charlotte skyline. We knew it would be the second tallest tower in the city, but I think because it is so close to the highway and not buried downtown, it is really impressive, much more than I expected. I can't wait until its finished, I think the night shots will be spectacular.

http://www.wsoctv.com/wxcam/1920383/detail.html

good view of wachovia today on the east cam for WSOCtv. you really can see how this buiding is going to finish up and take shape :-) Hopefully they handle will be up by the time I'm in town in 20 days.

They're scaring me, right now its starting to look like another 'Batman' building like in Nashville. Or maybe Dilbert's boss. We need that handle.

Now that's pretty flippin' cool! Thanks Spartan!

Ok, so the dude gets invited to the top of the Duke Energy Center and he forgets his camera?

Ok, so the dude gets invited to the top of the Duke Energy Center and he forgets his camera?

Good point... Thankfully his friend was able to post pics. Though, looking at photo #2 in that link, really makes you want that awful grass/dirt lot to go away. Oh wait, that's were the baseball stadium is supposed to go...

Good point... Thankfully his friend was able to post pics. Though, looking at photo #2 in that link, really makes you want that awful grass/dirt lot to go away. Oh wait, that's were the baseball stadium is supposed to go...

Maybe his friend's friend can tell us how/when they're going to do the handle.

I was told it would be a single truss built off-site and raised using both cranes.

How cool is that. I want to be there.

How will they get it there? It would be over 200 ft. long, wouldn't it?

Any idea when it will happen?

How cool is that. I want to be there.

How will they get it there? It would be over 200 ft. long, wouldn't it?

Any idea when it will happen?

air lift!!

Anyways, I was up in Avenue yesterday and saw a pretty cool reflection of the BoAcc crown on the Wachovia tower. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one taking the pictures so this feature didn't get zoomed in on, but you get the idea.

IMG_11781.jpg

Agreed. With the number of accidents they've had on that site, I'd be a little worried if they tried to lift this truss with the cranes they currently have.

No, actually I meant how would they transport it to the site, and I think airlift would be the only way.

As far as actually installing it, I'm not sure it would be practical to airlift it in place, as it would require quite a bit of precision to get it into place and bolted in, and I'm not sure that would be possible with a helicopter. I think what Miesian said makes sense. I've seen copters used for setting big things like cooling towers and substations, but I think they just set them down close and they are manually jockeyed into place. It doesn't look like you have that option here.

But I don't know, I'm certainly no expert, maybe somebody knows out there. I will plan my schedule around this event!

As with the NASCAR hall of fame's mobius structure, the truss will likely be transported to the site overnight in several large pieces. Those pieces will be assembled together adjacent to the tower (in front of the Mint is my guess). Then the cranes will be hooked up to either end and pull the truss up. There is no way the they could airlift something that big and have the kind of control and precision that will be required to get the thing into place.

And as for safety, I would expect an operation that big would take place over the weekend with the adjacent stretches of Tryon and Stonewall closed and construction sites cleared. Their prior accidents, as tragic as they have been, were largely due to carelessness and that is by far the exception, not the rule.

As long as someone takes pics of this event, we'll all be happy! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I will be, unless I have to shoot a kart race that weekend, my next one is Memorial Day. I don't have access to any of the buildings in the area, though, so I can only shoot from the ground.

As with the NASCAR hall of fame's mobius structure, the truss will likely be transported to the site overnight in several large pieces. Those pieces will be assembled together adjacent to the tower (in front of the Mint is my guess). Then the cranes will be hooked up to either end and pull the truss up. There is no way the they could airlift something that big and have the kind of control and precision that will be required to get the thing into place.

And as for safety, I would expect an operation that big would take place over the weekend with the adjacent stretches of Tryon and Stonewall closed and construction sites cleared. Their prior accidents, as tragic as they have been, were largely due to carelessness and that is by far the exception, not the rule.

Yep, makes perfect sense. We need to find out WHEN!

Well, funny thing happened today. There's an article from Doug in the Observer about how they will be bringing in the truss. The 160-ft truss is being assembled off site near the airport. It will then be split into 6 sections and delivered via trucks in mid-May. They will then be hoisted by the cranes one by one and re-assembled at the top. Topping out of the tower is supposed to be in June. Move in is scheduled to being in early February!

Here's the article

Archived