SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Not sure it's been mentioned, but as part of the Camden Southline and Publix projects, South Blvd is being widened from about the middle of Atherton Mill (just south of Icehouse) down to about Cannon Pharmacy. This is the reason for all the cones along South in addition to those just in front of the projects. IMO, this will be a huge improvement for traffic in the area, and when the medical office building and corner of South & Remount are developed, the widening should occur for the remainder of South down to Remount. The current widening will add a left turn lane into Autobell, a left turn lane at the existing Iverson signal, and a left turn lane into the driveway on the north side of Publix. 

• Like 1

I think this widening is a disaster.  I already feel like I am taking my life into my own hands when walking down this stretch.  Cars reach 50mph+ on a regular basis.  There is extreme danger for pedestrians and motorists.  Going to 5 lanes will not slow anyone down.  Looks like Charlotte's dream of moving down the rankings of hazardous pedestrian cities has been dealt yet another blow.

I think this widening is a disaster.  I already feel like I am taking my life into my own hands when walking down this stretch.  Cars reach 50mph+ on a regular basis.  There is extreme danger for pedestrians and motorists.  Going to 5 lanes will not slow anyone down.  Looks like Charlotte's dream of moving down the rankings of hazardous pedestrian cities has been dealt yet another blow.

I see that area as the end of the "walkable" area in South End anyways, I see the desire to keep it streching, but I think we can give up on that. Camden is very walkable and south blvs is before East blvd....if you dont plan on crossing the street.

I see that area as the end of the "walkable" area in South End anyways, I see the desire to keep it streching, but I think we can give up on that. Camden is very walkable and south blvs is before East blvd....if you dont plan on crossing the street.

I take the rail trail at that point anyways.  Especially with the Southline and Publix going in, there will be heavy in and out traffic crossing the sidewalks on a regular basis.  The rail trail will be the pedestrian lifeline of this part of Southend.  Plus Dunavant and Hawkins are much more of a pleasure to walk or bike down now anyways.

• Like 2

^ Just wish the rail trail had better access across the tracks.

It's a shame that CATS has no interest in at-grade light rail crossings for pedestrians only / ones that are not coupled with a street intersection....

also, am I crazy or did I see someone post renderings of the office conversion project next to Sycamore Brewing not too long ago? I could be imagining things, but I swear I saw a few images recently. And if I remember correctly, Shook Kelley did the renderings...

I take the rail trail at that point anyways.  Especially with the Southline and Publix going in, there will be heavy in and out traffic crossing the sidewalks on a regular basis.  The rail trail will be the pedestrian lifeline of this part of Southend.  Plus Dunavant and Hawkins are much more of a pleasure to walk or bike down now anyways.

Agreed with that too. All the complaints about South Blvd not being pedestrian friendly...I don't really see it needing to be as that is not the pedestrian HQ for South End. When that rail trail is up and rocking it won't matter.

It's a shame that CATS has no interest in at-grade light rail crossings for pedestrians only / ones that are not coupled with a street intersection....

also, am I crazy or did I see someone post renderings of the office conversion project next to Sycamore Brewing not too long ago? I could be imagining things, but I swear I saw a few images recently. And if I remember correctly, Shook Kelley did the renderings...

I don't remember those renderings from here, but the project is underway and the renderings on the sign at the site look very good.

Is it from this post?  Near the bottom, after the restaurant.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/page-121#entry1313959

Not sure it's been mentioned, but as part of the Camden Southline and Publix projects, South Blvd is being widened from about the middle of Atherton Mill (just south of Icehouse) down to about Cannon Pharmacy. This is the reason for all the cones along South in addition to those just in front of the projects. IMO, this will be a huge improvement for traffic in the area, and when the medical office building and corner of South & Remount are developed, the widening should occur for the remainder of South down to Remount. The current widening will add a left turn lane into Autobell, a left turn lane at the existing Iverson signal, and a left turn lane into the driveway on the north side of Publix. 

This would be fine if they added pedestrian refuge, bike-lanes and on-street parking.  I thought someone has posted that was the master plan for South Blvd.  Is there any reason to think that won't be the case?

Slightly different rendering on the sign at the site. That one is more subdued, more officy, has more glass and overhanging roof / patio space and looks more monolithic (the rendering linked above shows a bunch of different storefronts, the sign shows a mostly undivided exterior IIRC)

Slightly different rendering on the sign at the site. That one is more subdued, more officy, has more glass and overhanging roof / patio space and looks more monolithic (the rendering linked above shows a bunch of different storefronts, the sign shows a mostly undivided exterior IIRC)

The rendering on site shows the back side, facing the lightrail, which will be a medium-large single office space. There ARE multiple smaller spaces towards Hawkins, I think around 7-9, that could be retail or office. Both renderings are relatively accurate though no telling if that many retail tenants will sign on. 

Other random thing of note:

While I'm not very excited about the storage unit going in at the corner of S Tryon and Griffith, at least it's going to be dense.  Based on what I've seen, it looks to be about 6 stories tall.  So that's good.

Edited by ah59396

Proposed Office Project at 230 West Summit.

b430627cc82b42ba878dfca82c6309cd.jpg

Also, 201 E Bland St (Parking lot across from All American Pub) is being marketed for a Hotel according to Loopnet.

That'd be phenomenal! I hope the hotel happens!!!

Summit is getting a lot of love, there are three adaptive reuse projects, a townhouse project and this office project, off the top of my head.

What are the adaptive re-use projects besides the 1-story building at Winnifred? 

145 W. Summit will not be an adaptive reuse, my mistake, it will be a brand new Commercial/Retail Building for Ferguson's Kitchen and Bath Show Room.

There is another warehouse in the area that has plans, I'll see if I can find the info i have.

Edited by Guest