SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I agree that that pocket park will not be very useful as a park, but at least it is some green space breaking up the development some.  There is not much green on South Blvd, and even the street trees are pitiful.

I am happy that the Publix included [out parcel] storefronts along South Blvd.  Those will be visible and supportive of pedestrians while Publix is still going to be clearly visible behind them.  

The rendering also brought back to mind that out building for Lowes that seems barely used.  It would be nice if they converted that to a complementary use that might actually make it useful.   Maybe a little eatery or something where workmen can grab lunch after picking up building supplies, or something else other than a fake unused building.  

135 W. Morehead...or quarters cause we all like change:

DSC00404_zps301b9f36.jpg

1100 Boulevard...that's it? 

DSC00403_zpsd83060b9.jpg

Silos...not for farming:

DSC00395_zps891609b9.jpg 

DSC00396_zps0d34d535.jpg

DSC00397_zps1aa4f2c0.jpg

Camden Gallery...not for the Arts: 

DSC00400_zps4ce1715e.jpg

DSC00399_zps3313dc41.jpg

DSC00398_zpsdbab14d3.jpg

Camden Southline...not the subway line:

DSC00408_zps325a47c9.jpg

DSC00409_zps9bfc9e7c.jpg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

I drove around the city today... Publix is above ground, so that's good, and it's nice to see progress on all the new apartment projects. All of them except Faison, boy is that shaping up to be butt ugly. Why does everything have to be weird color blocked pastel faux wood panelling/EIFS in this city. It ain't attractive! I must say that southend does feel a little more grown up everytime I'm there though. Especially with Park & Kingston + Camden Gallery.

I don't normally like to post without being constructive in some way, but just have to say how disappointed I am in the finishing aesthetics of the Summit & Church project (now called District Flats). The dark brick they used at the bottom had me pretty optimistic, the corners of the building still seem like they're reasonably well-considered, and hey, there is SOME retail even if there is also some awkwardly blank wall. But the treatment from the 2nd floor up is just awful...who thinks its a good idea to clad an urban apartment building in the colors and vinyl siding that belong on the cheapest of suburban houses? The windows on this building are very weirdly tiny, so you have to see a lot of that siding. I figured at least the rounded corner at Summit would feature some nice floor-to-ceiling windows but it seems to be the same size windows throughout. 

The renderings always looked solid. Hopefully none of these upcoming projects pull a similar bait-and-switch.

The 1-story building with the loading docks next door fronting Winnifred seems to be being gutted, so I have some hope that another project will cover the worst side of this one up soon enough. 

I don't normally like to post without being constructive in some way, but just have to say how disappointed I am in the finishing aesthetics of the Summit & Church project (now called District Flats). The dark brick they used at the bottom had me pretty optimistic, the corners of the building still seem like they're reasonably well-considered, and hey, there is SOME retail even if there is also some awkwardly blank wall. But the treatment from the 2nd floor up is just awful...who thinks its a good idea to clad an urban apartment building in the colors and vinyl siding that belong on the cheapest of suburban houses? The windows on this building are very weirdly tiny, so you have to see a lot of that siding. I figured at least the rounded corner at Summit would feature some nice floor-to-ceiling windows but it seems to be the same size windows throughout. 

The renderings always looked solid. Hopefully none of these upcoming projects pull a similar bait-and-switch.

The 1-story building with the loading docks next door fronting Winnifred seems to be being gutted, so I have some hope that another project will cover the worst side of this one up soon enough. 

I share this sentiment 100%. (see comment just above yours). 

As far as the 1 story building goes... This is the Beam Building and its being gut renovated and up fitted to be retail, a non for profit culinary school and offices.

So you unfortunately will still be able to see the weird color blocked vinyl siding but at least we are getting a cool building with new uses!

Edited by Guest

I share this sentiment 100%. (see comment just above yours). 

As far as the 1 story building goes... This is the Beam Building and its being gut renovated and up fitted to be retail and offices. So you unfortunately will still be able to see the weird color blocked vinyl siding.

Ah didn't realize that was the one you were referring to, though I should have put it together.

Well, I am actually ok with the Beam building being retrofitted because that should give us some interesting, more affordable spaces than another apartment building with 1-2 token restaurant spaces. Actually come to think of it, this area right around the Tryon/Summit/Camden "core" of Southend is strangely almost devoid of restaurants, so I wouldn't really mind one around there. There could be substantial outdoor patios installed all along Beam's length on Winnifred.

Ah didn't realize that was the one you were referring to, though I should have put it together.

Well, I am actually ok with the Beam building being retrofitted because that should give us some interesting, more affordable spaces than another apartment building with 1-2 token restaurant spaces. Actually come to think of it, this area right around the Tryon/Summit/Camden "core" of Southend is strangely almost devoid of restaurants, so I wouldn't really mind one around there. There could be substantial outdoor patios installed all along Beam's length on Winnifred.

Craft Tasting Room and Growler Shop (Corner of South Church and Lincoln) is going to have a bunch of food and an outdoor beer garden (1000sq feet) (Plus 36 taps!!!!!). So that will be nice to have in that area. 

Edited by Guest

^ Thanks. Was this old news (the AAA) that I forgot about?

[insert obligatory "worst planning and zoning ever" remark here]

I mentioned it a few pages back that it was coming, but I didn't state where. Theres also a QuickTrip and 2 Temperature Controlled storage centers coming to the neighborhood.  :shok:  :shok:

Edited by Guest

Look what is being marketed for Lease :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D This makes me SO HAPPY!

1216-S-Tryon-West-View.jpg

1216-S-Tryon-East-View.jpg

1216-S-Tryon-Proposed-Plan.jpg

I wonder if the rendering I made has anything to do with it ;-)

Same company is also up fitting and the building between Sycamore Brewing and Spectrum South End to be Restaurant/Retail and Office Space. Great to see some of the underutilized historical buildings getting adaptively reused. How UNCHARLOTTE of us.

2171_hawkins_perspective_1.jpg

2171_hawkins_interior_perspective.jpg

Edited by Guest

Looks just like your mockup renderings

I know, I know. But I can't complain, they took it to a whole new level and elevated it. I'm happy that maybe I inspired someone to do something great!

I know, I know. But I can't complain, they took it to a whole new level and elevated it. I'm happy that maybe I inspired someone to do something great!

But your rendering of the Bea Arthur Statue against the skyline has not yet been picked up - go figure! 

• Like 1

I'll start up the "Southend Renovated Dilapidated Buildings and High-rise Statues of Irrelevant Comedians Projects" page.

HAHAHAHA!

EDIT: Apparently this Gem was my 3,000th post. What a Gem...

Edited by Guest

Saw today that a small crew was putting steel I-beams underneath the old house at the corner of Park and South Tryon directly in front of Park and Kingston. My first thought was that it is being prepped for relocation then my second thought was why. It doesn't appear to be worth the cost in my opinion. Maybe this is being done to re-level the foundation?