SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I've seen coyotes in the field behind the Dog House at Mint and Morehead, in the middle of the day. I imagine they live somewhere around that side of 77/277 or the train tracks since there are some bits of relatively sheltered forest there. 

This should probably get moved to Charlotte Off Topic thread.

Edited by nonillogical

^The noise was coming from I-77/277 area of South End so yeah they prolly live around there.  

Another Off Topic posting but something unique to South End: has anyone else noticed the dude who plays the saxophone late at night by the RR tracks that cross Summit at EDI/Charlotte Pipe?  

He stands right by the yellow post in this pic (use Google Classic Maps):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=812+West+Summit+Avenue,+Charlotte,+NC+28203&hl=en&ll=35.222043,-80.862977&spn=0.001965,0.004128&sll=35.221923,-80.862411&sspn=0.003931,0.008256&oq=812+summit+street+28203&hnear=812+W+Summit+Ave,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28203&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.222117,-80.863039&panoid=_ZOs_oK3bPzv_erQXxM3yQ&cbp=12,290.86,,0,10.82

Keep South End weird... 

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1

There was a bagpiper piping near South and East.  We heard it all through dinner at Nan&Byrons on Wednesday.  

Knights of Columbus parking lot at 220 E Kingston is where they "practice".  I live a block over from there so I get a nice concert every week :)

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 2 weeks later...

The City really doesn't take the Light Rail Area Seriously do they??? 

Here are a couple new projects that come up on polaris that are along the Light rail.

• Restaurant with Drivethrough across from Scaleybark station

• Quick Trip Gas Station

• AAA Car Care Center

• Self Storage

Edited by Guest

I would love to see something built OVER the light rail… like this.

glenfield-station.jpg

I mean I don't disagree its cool in concept, the fact that land prices directly adjacent to South End stations only justify stick-built apartments, there is no way we are close to the point where building over rail lines would be cost effective for developers.

I don't disagree with all the negative sentiment, but there still is no where near the population (or employment) density to support the retail in every building vision you guys desire.  The good news is with each new project, the available land disappears, pushing up the costs for remaining land and future developments.

This has 1 of 2 affects, which is makes future projects either denser (taller), or higher quality to generate higher rents. 

As far as retail, we are probably getting close to a point where it starts to make financial sense in South End.  Financing is going to be really tough for quite some time, but developers may be able to start generating strong enough returns, that they will bring more equity to include it.

The other option in all of this is to have City Council dictate rigorous design standards that would drive up construction costs (and rents needed to make this projects sufficiently profitable).  My personal favorite would be 16' sidewalks with no planting strips (street trees in tree wells please).  I think planting strips are the antithesis of urban, but are obviously much cheaper for developers.  My other wish list items are requiring developers to bury power lines adjacent to their properties and to architecturally screen parking decks, though again, the near term result would be to stall most new development until either land-owners dropped land prices or rents appreciated to the point where developers could absorb those signficantly higher costs.

^ The pace of development slowing down and in turn getting higher quality projects might be appealing long term, but near term it would only delay the point at which retail can meaningfully exist in South End.

The best situation in my opinion would be to dangle incentives to developers to increase quality or include retail such as: expedite rezonings, reduce permitting and inspection fees, or partial property tax abatements.

Finally, as I suggested in another thread, the city subsidizing community parking decks (and eliminating retail parking requirements on properties within close proximity) could be best way to encourage retail, as its very expensive to add retail spaces in urban areas, especially when retail is borderline feasible.  Scott/East Blvd, Park/Camden, Mercury Noda project, in front of Family Dollar on Central are all excellent sites for public (or public/private) parking decks.

• Like 4

There is an interest rezoning this month for a townhome community across Youngblood from the Silos.  This woud be on the southern portion of the CHA office building property, which is just  park lot now.

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2014Petitions/Pages/2014-047.aspx

It's 52 units on 3.5 acres.  Poindexter would be extended across Youngblood and serve as the private circulator street within this proposed project.

It looks like the developer (Hopper Communitites) is just preparing the site.  They've used Ryan Homes primarily it seems for the actual townhomes on other projects, so maybe something design-wise like the project and Church and Bland St ?

Quoting myself since RugbyPike just mentioned this project a couple of replies up the page.

Quoting myself since RugbyPike just mentioned this project a couple of replies up the page.

I don't have high hopes for this project, however, I am pleasantly surprised that Youngblood is getting the activity that it is getting. Think back to the early 2000s and tell me that you expected youngblood to EVER have people living on it. 

It doesn't seem too egregious to me if the intent is to have the adjacent site developed with a building right up against it, with just a small alleyway in between. However I know that would probably be years and years away. 

I guess, since i've never seen it in person, I can't really make a real judgment. 

I guess, since i've never seen it in person, I can't really make a real judgment. 

No it definitely doesn't look good in person and its pretty huge, my point is that I tend to give a pass to decks where the idea is to allow building closer when the adjacent parcel is developed. The Catalyst parking deck was ugly and exposed but now has Element built right up against it. The Vue parking deck is similarly blank on 2 sides to allow building right up to it. 

No it definitely doesn't look good in person and its pretty huge, my point is that I tend to give a pass to decks where the idea is to allow building closer when the adjacent parcel is developed. The Catalyst parking deck was ugly and exposed but now has Element built right up against it. The Vue parking deck is similarly blank on 2 sides to allow building right up to it. 

We will just have to see, Two lots down from Camden Southline there is a 4 story office building with surface parking planned in the rear, so my hopes of this parking deck being covered are not so high. But then again, If the Autobell lot is small enough, then they will have to build up anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things:

The base for a tower crane for the apartment project at Morehead/Church is in place.  I assume we see the crane go up next week.

The demolition of the house next to Park & Kingston apartments is underway (corner of Park and S Tryon).  This is where the 15-unit Phase II will go.

I'm really excited about 1616 Camden, just because of how it will tie in the retail gap and hopefully the office workers during the day will provide a more continuous street vibe on Camden.

• Like 1