SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 3/15/2018 at 8:19 PM, CriticalT said:

Studio Cellar - never been there but i thought they were popular and added something interesting the to area.  They last posted to Instagram just a couple days ago.  

That building has  so much  character and potential.  I think there are two salons, a bible store, UPS store that always seems busy and a something lame like an architect taking up space. 

I've never seen more than a couple people in there, don't really understand how it made sense there. Also, yesterday was at Lenny Boy and Studio Cellar people seemed to be in there with like 20-30 people painting, it said they're moving to somewhere near Sycamore but I'm not sure of the location. 

This spot has a ton of potential so hopefully something good moves in. 

• Like 1

OK this is extremely confusing but in my mind It makes sense so bear with me. My envision of the new South End corridor aligns much with Downtown Washington DC. Many 10-15 story buildings all with retail on the bottom thus creating a lively atmosphere suitable for pedestirans. There will be taller buildings scattered around especially the closer you get to 277. Anyone else feel the same or it’s just me.

• Like 4

Agreed. That was mean't for the far future. I wouldn't mind seeing some 10-20 story buildings with retail fill in the lots before it happens in South End. What really bugs me is the Levine land, It could easily be such a walkable and desirable part of the city but for now it will look like you took a Suburb and meshed it in with a City. 

Brooklyn village/stonewall will do a lot for uptown towards what you're describing @Cadi40 and southend could easily achieve something kind of along those lines within the next decade too.

Levine land could still become something wonderful with such a large contiguous area of uptown completely unused. Just going to be an optimist about it.

• Like 1

Random thought here, but wouldn't the elevation of those townhomes make any potential cap over 277 there nearly impossible? I mean it could be done but they would have a concrete wall all the way up to nearly the third floor. I know the city is more bullish on a cap over the northern segment, but leaving the ability to cap over this segment down the road should have been considered. Maybe it's the just the perspective from the photo, I don't know.

9 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Random thought here, but wouldn't the elevation of those townhomes make any potential cap over 277 there nearly impossible? I mean it could be done but they would have a concrete wall all the way up to nearly the third floor. I know the city is more bullish on a cap over the northern segment, but leaving the ability to cap over this segment down the road should have been considered. Maybe it's the just the perspective from the photo, I don't know.

The cap would be on the other side of the light rail bridge in the picture, most likely between College, Tryon, and Church Street.  No cap would be near these town homes. 

I would think the best place for the cap would be the areas I outlined in yellow.  Anything further down 277 would have to deal with on and off ramps plus other issues.  Also, by having the cap between College, Tryon and Church Street you get an opportunity to create a more engaging space than having a cap that abuts the parking deck at the Westin/Regions Bank and  Stonewall Station apts.

uptown cap.jpg

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Forget the cap, can we at least get the Rail Trail extended over? You know, like it was supposed to be from the beginning...

Yea, honestly I think the rail trail has done more to improve Southend than the Blue Line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Isn’t the rail trail great because of the blue line?

Actually, they raise a valid point. Just simply having a safe place to walk/run/bike down a major corridor (as opposed to a meandering greenway-type situation) was a game changer. It's why I am shocked it wasn't made more of a priority for the BLE.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Isn’t the rail trail great because of the blue line?

Actually, they raise a valid point. Just simply having a safe place to walk/run/bike down a major corridor (as opposed to a meandering greenway-type situation) was a game changer. It's why I am shocked it wasn't made more of a priority for the BLE.

But in South End, the Rail Trail is all you've got.  There's no access there the Greenway in South End.  But in the areas from Uptown all the way to Old Concord Road, the present and future Greenway trail is very close by.  And there are those plans to create a "Greenway District" between Matheson Avenue (near the 25th Street Station) and Sugar Creek Road, near the Sugar Creek Station, so that will be like a big park right by the greater NoDa area.  So having something there comparable to the Rail Trail there would seem pretty redundant, and I think a waste of money.