SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

51 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Can’t wait for more buildings like these to create more height in south end.

And this has been Cadi40's daily adoration of height coming to Southend.

image.thumb.png.e21a7eed5f67a351367645fc9c1cded5.png

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, AP3 said:

There are two brief videos of the renderings of Atherton Mill that look great (minus the parking deck - at least there is retail in the base).
http://athertonmillandmarket.com/development/

So that first video is fronting South Blvd, and the second video is facing inward, toward the mill?

Not bad ^_^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AP3 said:

There are two brief videos of the renderings of Atherton Mill that look great (minus the parking deck - at least there is retail in the base).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meh. If they wanted to pretend to build a mansard roof, they should have just built a mansard roof. Just like Novel Stonewall Station this building could really use some articulation in the elevation, we need to stop with the boxes. I know they are trying to maximize square footage but damn, please work in some pizzazz. I'm so bored with this design. The parking deck in its current state (whats physically built) is already terrible.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, AP3 said:

This looks really bad.  So imposing and monotonous. 

I hope it turns out better than what I expect at this point.

Edited by EllAyyDub

I will be the contrarian voice that actually likes the video.  The red brick looks good and fits perfectly for the project, the elevation change for the parking drive under adds a little variety, and despite the massive parking garage the ground floor retail is inviting.  If it had some articulation in the elevation I would like it more for sure, but all in all it looks better than most of the fully cement board apartments.   I am no expert, but when I look at the video it kind of reminds me of something you might find in DC or a more urban city.

Given there was a project in NODA announced as canceled this morning because of construction cost, I will give Atherton the benefit of the doubt that they truly had to give up some articulation, etc. to make the numbers work.

I think the retail looks pretty good.  That will hopefully make South Blvd feel less like an interstate and more like an inner-city road.   That being said, I'm not a big fan of the style of this building.  I think that they should have either invested what it would have taken to make this building actually look like a "revamped old mill", or gone with another style entirely.  This just looks like a cheap imitation.  I am hoping that they finished project looks a little more convincing. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I will be the contrarian voice that actually likes the video.  The red brick looks good and fits perfectly for the project, the elevation change for the parking drive under adds a little variety, and despite the massive parking garage the ground floor retail is inviting.  If it had some articulation in the elevation I would like it more for sure, but all in all it looks better than most of the fully cement board apartments.   I am no expert, but when I look at the video it kind of reminds me of something you might find in DC or a more urban city.

Given there was a project in NODA announced as canceled this morning because of construction cost, I will give Atherton the benefit of the doubt that they truly had to give up some articulation, etc. to make the numbers work.

That project was cancelled a year ago, not sure why its just now being reported. I think there's more at play with the Eller Project being cancelled. I'd guess its similar reasons why the other Crescent project on Craighead was cancelled, land owner is hard to work with. Sorry Tony, I have a feeling you lurk here. 

I truly hate it. One person that says BUT the retail you are compromising away the soul of the city and making excuses for crap projects.

It’s at least engaging from the street level. I think the residential portion is also pretty reminiscent of old mills. Flat, brick facades and multi-pane windows.

• Like 1

Noticed even more renovations being done on 1225 S Church this morning.  This poor building has been undergoing renovations for about 20% of its life.  That has to be an absolute headache for tenants.  Hopefully this is an anomaly, and all of the other stick-built apartments in Southend don't start having these problems.

20180228_065150.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QCT1401 said:

Noticed even more renovations being done on 1225 S Church this morning.  This poor building has been undergoing renovations for about 20% of its life.  That has to be an absolute headache for tenants.  Hopefully this is an anomaly, and all of the other stick-built apartments in Southend don't start having these problems.

Nearly all of them have suffered from some type of construction flaws. Mosaic South end (formerly Mellinium?) and the building at McDonald and Euclid come to mind as two buildings that have had much of their exterior cladding replaced already.

6 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

Anyone know what is going on with the Common Market site on Tremont? It was supposed to have opened a good 6 months ago but I haven't seen any activity there. Hope all is well.

I haven't heard anything about it good or bad (and think I probably would have heard the gossip if it were out there). Opening the original Southend store took about 9-12 months longer than expected. It might just be that construction management isn't there thing?

I really hope hope that is all it is. I have made a couple of trips to the People's Market recently, its basically a super sterilized and dull CM knockoff -- I really want the real thing back. 

• Like 1