SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I hope South End is still relevant with Developers, We don't know the severity of the Sewage issue so South End could still be a boom town in 2018. If the problem is larger than development might have to be delayed until 2019, But even then it should still be the same. I sure hope that companies planning to build in South End don't choose another city because of this, But maybe just another area of Charlotte.

I think some of us may be blowing this a little out of proportion, if it's that big of an issue I think the City would be jumping all over it to get it fixed as soon as possible.   The City isn't going to sit there doing nothing and let this area go to waste.  Also, the projects proposed in the area typically take a few years to plan and complete, just like increasing the sewer capacity in South End will take a few years to complete as well.  As long as the City is proactive in fixing the problem it will hopefully be enough assurance to the developers to move on with their projects.  Hopefully RDF and a few others "in the know" on this site will gather some more information shortly and ease our anxiety.  I for one am not that worried about it, the City I work for is very proactive about these situations and I would assume Charlotte will be the same. 

29 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

I think some of us may be blowing this a little out of proportion, if it's that big of an issue I think the City would be jumping all over it to get it fixed as soon as possible.   The City isn't going to sit there doing nothing and let this area go to waste.  Also, the projects proposed in the area typically take a few years to plan and complete, just like increasing the sewer capacity in South End will take a few years to complete as well.  As long as the City is proactive in fixing the problem it will hopefully be enough assurance to the developers to move on with their projects.  Hopefully RDF and a few others "in the know" on this site will gather some more information shortly and ease our anxiety.  I for one am not that worried about it, the City I work for is very proactive about these situations and I would assume Charlotte will be the same. 

I actually don't think we are blowing it out of proportion. Keep in mind the sewer upgrades would be needed before tying any projects in to the sewer, and thats something done very early on in any project. I was approached by a friend in development who is very concerned about the situation and asked me to dig up info. Also @Jayvee spoke to a member of the council, and they recently raised concerns in a previous meeting with the city govt. So something is definitely occurring. I also think @Prodev's post speaks volumes. 

I mean. SouthEnd itself has reached a point where if development is forced to slow, it’ll pick up again where it left off. My opinion. 

If this forces development towards NorthEnd (I use the collectively for NoDa, Optimist, etc), 1st Ward, Midtown & “Brooklyn,” then it’s probably a good thing. 

As long as Charlotte booms, I feel like SouthEnd will boom. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

South end was really on the verge of transitioning into an extension of Uptown, I think that’s delayed for a few years. Hopefully developers will stick with it and stay in South End.

I don't think anything would slow down in the 277 section of Southend. Sounds like the sewer is upgraded enough there, or has plans for. We can all probably go on a new subject now until something official comes out. So no more showing just how much you love Southend. LOL. 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Sorry, LOL, Just one last question. RDF, Do you think the Northern Portion of South End and around DFA will still get some more height soon or no?

I expect more height at Design Center, behind the church on West/East/South along the rail, maybe on the Spectrum land on S. College and Bland (they hinted they are working on an office tower on land they already own in South End), Strawn Apartments and along W. Morehead. 

Oh and hot take. I think we are only a few years away from the Catholic Diocese cashing in and selling the 6.5 or so acres they have for $35-40M

image.thumb.png.7a2500f87f587097cc72b5c75de55437.png

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

How about a new topic called "The Big Stink: How Sewer Issues affect Development" 

actually, might not be a half bad idea. @Neo could we aggregate Sewer related messages into a new Thread?

So, I may have missed something awhile ago but whats the status of 2100 South Tryon? I went back quite a ways in  the thread to see the last mention of this project, I gave up in July. Its still on VVs website but I past the corner at W Tremont regularly and theres been no activity since the demo clearing if im correct.

9 minutes ago, FLOSC843 said:

So, I may have missed something awhile ago but whats the status of 2100 South Tryon? I went back quite a ways in  the thread to see the last mention of this project, I gave up in July. Its still on VVs website but I past the corner at W Tremont regularly and theres been no activity since the demo clearing if im correct.

I'd imagine they are waiting for a tenant, or possibly a sewer that's not backed up ;-)

On 12/28/2017 at 5:36 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

actually, might not be a half bad idea. @Neo could we aggregate Sewer related messages into a new Thread?

I'm not typically a total fan of doing this vs just creating a new topic in short order after something spins off the wild end in a topic. Reason being...most of us tend to spat about all topics at hand which makes for a messy move if you try to dismember everything. I would just create the new topic and if something is obvious then we can move it over.

The brief seems quite reasonable until they start talking about it being "impossible to predict" future demand. Anyone with a pulse recognized that Southend and LoSo (sorry) was going to explode a decade ago. We are long past the time anyone should be claiming to be surprised by this land use transformation. I am genuninely irritated by this lack of vision.

• Like 4

^^ The city actively supported and encourage new apartment development in this area and they are surprised. It is basically very poor planning and anyone knows 250 apartments will have more sewer usage than a 50,000 sq ft warehouse or light industrial building that was in the area.   This really hurts Scaleybark Station or South Village whatever it is called.  They planned a hotel with 150 rooms there not to mention apartments etc.  It was already stalled in 2008/2009 and now those Pulte townhomes going up could be lonely for a while.  

• Like 3

So is this Problem concentrated to those areas or widespread?

Hopefully we know when someone more reputable than the Agenda tackles the issue like Ely or Ashley. Sorry Jayvee but the agenda just wasn’t the right publication to tackle this issue. Worried it’s not going to be vetted enough by the media because some lazy journalism. Sounds like it’s a LoSo, Scaleybark issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk