SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Heard a rumor that there might be a big time slow down in Southend projects based on a newly discovered issue with the capacity of the area sewer system.

Not the first time this has happened in the world.
http://www.myajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/business-growth-threatened-dekalb-sewer-problems/iGnieSklTKfQIyP45dhXqO/

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Heard a rumor that there might be a big time slow down in Southend projects based on a newly discovered issue with the capacity of the area sewer system.

Is this related to why Little Sugar Creek in Pineville so often smells like absolute sewage at night? If not, why does Little Sugar Creek so often smell like absolute sewage at night?

8 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

This would be detrimental to me personally at least. I’m very excited for South Ends projects and future development of taller buildings. How long would it take to fix this? And also I know I’m late but what does DFA stand for?

Dimensional Funds Advisers http://us.dimensional.com/  Mutual funds pension funds etc based in Austin but east coast operations here in Charlotte now currently in 5/3 Bank building uptown will move local ops here to this new building and add many jobs. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

This would be detrimental to me personally at least. I’m very excited for South Ends projects and future development of taller buildings. How long would it take to fix this? And also I know I’m late but what does DFA stand for?

I have no idea how long it'd take to fix, its just a tip I heard that i'm following up on with a few contacts. Its not a complete surprise, theres a lot of precedent for this type of issue. I know nothing about Sewers so I don't feel comfortable speculating.
DFA=Dimensional Fund Advisors. 

36 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

http://www.myajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/business-growth-threatened-dekalb-sewer-problems/iGnieSklTKfQIyP45dhXqO/

Speaking as someone that recently had a project permitted in DeKalb County, they're in pretty deep ~. As they poured money into new and expanded roadways, they apparently did little to improve their sewer or stormwater infrastructure, and now it's brought development to a near-screeching halt. I think it's a really under-reported issue and an extremely huge lesson to public officials everywhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Thank You. RDF, I saw you expected a few other projects like this one in another thread, Will this slow that down if this ends up being true?

I don't just expect a few other projects. I know of about 7 more projects that are in the early stages. Depending on the severity of the issue it could be the death knell for a few or even all of them. But like I said, I know nothing about sewers, so I don't feel comfortable making predictions. 

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well crap...

• Like 1

That section of South Boulevard is at 750-760 ft elevation, same as Trade and Tryon, about the highest in the city, so slope and drainage issues are not because of that. Lift station would seem pointless. I know nothing about sewers except s**t goes downhill and the city and developers have that going for them.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DMann said:

That stinks!

Literally.

51 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I know nothing about sewers except s**t goes downhill and the city and developers have that going for them.

Funny!

1 hour ago, Jordan84 said:

Seems like the city would have been on top of this.  Hopefully they will jump on it quickly and resolve the issue. 

Also funny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

No drone shots but this shows how massive this DFA building is in South End this is going to look massive  compared to the existing single story and couple of floor buildings nearby.   Holiday Inn Express 3rd photo is coming along nicely.  

IMG_4842.JPG

IMG_4843.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG

I past this site regularly and I agree. Its rather imposing from the street level. It will have quite the presence for its size!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JBS said:

Literally.

Funny!

Also funny.

Yea the city will jump on quickly to resolve is definitely funny. Worst case this could take a couple years to resolve. But again, still waiting on comments from a couple parties before I make any more judgements. Railyard is still driving piles today so anything thats going on hasn't seemed to affect them

32 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea the city will jump on quickly to resolve is definitely funny. Worst case this could take a couple years to resolve. But again, still waiting on comments from a couple parties before I make any more judgements. Railyard is still driving piles today so anything thats going on hasn't seemed to affect them

If worst case scenario occurs and development is paused in Southend for a couple years for sewer upgrades, do you think this will funnel more capital towards other submarkets / neighborhoods such as NoDa, PM, or will investors sit for the Southend market?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Related: http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/WilmoreDriveParkAveSewer-Replacement.aspx

2019 estimated completion date. Most major projects wouldn’t be flushing by then anyway.

ACE996F7-266F-47BC-ACB5-1465A1481DF6.jpeg

• Like 1

Related: http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/WilmoreDriveParkAveSewer-Replacement.aspx
2019 estimated completion date. Most major projects wouldn’t be flushing by then anyway.
ACE996F7-266F-47BC-ACB5-1465A1481DF6.thumb.jpeg.9b266df72158de8ebbe218d281891f32.jpeg

I saw this earlier in my digging, it seems to be directly related to DFA and neighboring projects. Not sure about other areas. We all shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, lewy2000 said:

No project is going to start without capacity assurance, which they are now denying, so it will 100% delay every project in the pipeline that doesn't have it  from starting until at least 2019.  That image is just one of many sewer lines that are at max capacity, but it's the only one that's funded and has an actual timeframe. This is an issue all the way down to Scaleybark, yet this is the only one the city is actively working on, so they delays elsewhere will be much longer term. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Sigma said:

If worst case scenario occurs and development is paused in Southend for a couple years for sewer upgrades, do you think this will funnel more capital towards other submarkets / neighborhoods such as NoDa, PM, or will investors sit for the Southend market?

I think that's a really important question, and I assume it's some of each.

Certainly some developers are tied to South End because they already own the land, and now would have to take a discount on land if there are substantial delays.

I think it's reasonable that some developers shift their focus to Elizabeth/Midtown and North Tryon/Camp North End.

The biggest risks might be corporate jobs (so projects similar to DFA) which could have viewed South End the only neighborhood worth being in, and might even look at other cities that offer a similar area to attract their coveted millennial worker.

• Like 2

Is this sewer capacity problem just in SouthEnd and immediate area or it is present anywhere else in the city like Uptown, NoDa?  I do believe you will see some stuff go elsewhere and that elsewhere could even be out of town for office locations however it makes it more likely that the Elizabeth office tower will launch though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Is this sewer capacity problem just in SouthEnd and immediate area or it is present anywhere else in the city like Uptown, NoDa?  I do believe you will see some stuff go elsewhere and that elsewhere could even be out of town for office locations however it makes it more likely that the Elizabeth office tower will launch though. 

It'll be nice for the focus to shift away "LoSo" and concentrate on density in the area immediately around DFA, since that seems to be getting a 2017 upgrade. I'm doing a ton of leg work to to try to get this public as soon as possible. :-)