SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Of course, the bigger issue is Charlotte really needs to venture into the form-based zoning arena
Your mouth to God's ears. Waynesville (a nice town in western NC) adopted form-based zoning a couple of years ago. From the town's website: The new ordinances are based heavily on design. Instead of "use" being the major regulating factor, the design of the public space is the most emphasized part of the development. The area between the front of the building and the middle of the street (the public space), should be very comfortable for all modes of transportation. It's great driving down US-74 seeing McDonald's and Bojangle's pulled right up to the curb with parking behind.

Of course, closer to home we have Davidson, which is the queen of form-based codes.

More Ashton 07/17:

07-17-08014.jpg

Its going to take me a lil while to get used to the scale of this place, its seems so out of proportion for the area, but I figure once taller things start getting built in the area maybe it won't be so bad.

They might need a bigger LRT stop at Tremont Station now...

Haha- yeah I know, you like that!?

Nibble, as unproportional as that picture depicts, the view from East/West Blvd, the light rail station, and anywhere towards uptown looking south is amazing. It makes a perfect ending to Camden Rd and really interacts with the buildings along Camden, aside the proportions. Also Spectrum is being built south not too far away which will help to blend the dimensions. From Atherton Mill, it's definitly a totally new view that is shadowing the complex but is a healthy addition long term.

I noticed that there has been some clearing work along about the point where "The Reserve at South End" is slated to appear - has anyone heard any news about that project?

Also, I was told today that Mac's is officially renting the corner lot across South @ Remount. As it turns out, that lot is an excellent place to stand to see the stunning amount of development around that area. Demo is proceeding at a rapid pace on the buildings across Remount.

I noticed that there has been some clearing work along about the point where "The Reserve at South End" is slated to appear - has anyone heard any news about that project?

Well...they went back to permitting for 2nd round this week, so I guess that's indication that they are still pushing forward. Colonial also went back for 2nd or 3rd round this week for their site located at the former Bonded Distribution warehouse adjacent to the Pepsi plant.

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/722833.html

The Observer reports that there is less 10% discount for units with no view (335psf for south facing units, and maximum of 372psf for skyline facing units).

Given this, and the fact that in some people's views, having the area build up with people and a jobs and hotel rooms is a plus for the area, I agree with the point that it is possible that the project will raise those values.

I really hope this isn't precedent-setting, as it is quite an exceptional location in comparison to most of the rest of the TOD-zoned sites.

I really hope this isn't precedent-setting, as it is quite an exceptional location in comparison to most of the rest of the TOD-zoned sites.

I think this was precedent setting and I beleive we will see more rezonings to go higher around the stations. In fact at the same meeting last night Council had a hearing about Rezoning land near the New Bern station to allow 200ft mixed use towers at the Silos project.

Dubone, I hope you are right and the it helps property values here at the Arlington and the South End as a whole.

Not really sure what the consequences of City Council completely ignoring a plan they approved only 3 years ago.

I hope this does not discourage development or personal investment in property where plans are in effect to create

future vision.

I hope Harris moves forward with a quality project.

I wonder if the developer made any cash payments to those in opposition? It is totally legal to do so and this is quite a common situation with rezonings - where the opposition seems to suddenly vanish at the end of the process.

I don't think it will abused as much as you think. Local developers have long been priced out of this corridor. With the national reits now feeling the capital constraints from a slumping stock market, I see land prices retreating somehwhat in this area (note there are several decent size tracts available now and the interest has been nearly nonexistant).

I also think not all is lost in the land of City Council and they will not simply give blanket approval for such heights. I do see this happening at key areas along the line such as Tyvola and maybe Sharon Rd West or 485 where a commercial/office feel is already in place. I thinking the massing in Tyvola would tie the existing offices on West Tyvola/City Park quite nicely together with South Park.

As development begins to take up land near the South Blue line the pressure will be go higher because of price of land and space available. And the closer you get to uptown do not be surprise to see a 30 stories + going up one of these days. What we are looking at is the best use of the land.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

As development begins to take up land near the South Blue line the pressure will be go higher because of price of land and space available. And the closer you get to uptown do not be surprise to see a 30 stories + going up one of these days. What we are looking at is the best use of the land.

I totally agree, this is just the beginning I suspect of seeing higher development all along the Blue Line. This is really the whole purpose of rapid mass transit. Lets get building some mass!

The question at this point though is when do they begin sitework? I can't wait to see to this develpoment go up, the skyline will be looking pretty amazing when these three towers make their presence felt.

I totally agree, this is just the beginning I suspect of seeing higher development all along the Blue Line. This is really the whole purpose of rapid mass transit. Lets get building some mass!

I guess they could start by changing the transit area plan to match what they are going to do. The current plan has just been rendered meaningless.