SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Framing of the units has begun at Circle at South End.

post-1289-1213926947_thumb.jpg

The Ole '111' came a rumblin' by as I snapped this picture of The Millenium.

post-1289-1213926966_thumb.jpg

I was intruiged to see that at least the first floor is poured in place concrete, so I dug up this rendering, and see that it is a full 5 floors. Since they already have to go concrete for the ground floor, perhaps we can get some retail? Probably not, but I can hope.

pho_south_end_new.jpg

Appartently Southhaus has been slightly redesigned according to Doug Smith. They cut down the number of units from 198 to just 89, apparently because people were a little too skittish about the narrowness. Now, they are about 15 feet wide as opposed to the original 10 feet. It will be 11 stories with underground parking. The first few levels will encompass 15,000 sq. feet of retail and 15,000 sq. feet of office space.

957-Smithcol_02_02.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

^ It was discussed on here that these changes were coming, glad to see they finally announced it which will hopefully kick-start their sales efforts.

I think these were excellent changes. The density is much more appropriate, and I like that it's a little lower height at the corner of South and Ideal.

Widening the units was smart as well, as that seemed to be eveyone's primary complaint about the project. All in all, I think they should be able to hit their sales goal with these changes and the reduced number of unit, considering the price points. I hope so, because I think this is one of the better proposals out there. If every project in the corridor was along these lines, we'd have as urban of a district as possible (for Charlotte).

Can anyone tell me what ,if any weight, the published "South End Transit Station Plan" has.

The document says on page vi of the executive summery that it is "The Governing land use policy document for the South End area."

(the bolding is in the document)

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eq3jj...al08222005x.pdf

On page 57 has a section reading:

"HEIGHT LIMITATIONS:

Map 15 shows maximum allowable building heights

for area within the plan boundaries based on the height

regulations for TOD zoning. The tallest portions of

buildings allowed in the South End PED area will

be 120'. The maximum heights allowed will step down

closer to single family residential zoning."

One council member I talked with said this was "just a recommendation."

I for one and all Realtors I spoke with who read it, thought it was just as

stated "The Governing land use policy document for the South End area."

If thats not true what is it??????

Can anyone tell me what ,if any weight, the published "South End Transit Station Plan" has.

The document says on page vi of the executive summery that it is "The Governing land use policy document for the South End area."

(the bolding is in the document)

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eq3jj...al08222005x.pdf

On page 57 has a section reading:

"HEIGHT LIMITATIONS:

Map 15 shows maximum allowable building heights

for area within the plan boundaries based on the height

regulations for TOD zoning. The tallest portions of

buildings allowed in the South End PED area will

be 120'. The maximum heights allowed will step down

closer to single family residential zoning."

One council member I talked with said this was "just a recommendation."

I for one and all Realtors I spoke with who read it, thought it was just as

stated "The Governing land use policy document for the South End area."

If thats not true what is it??????

I believe that the only weight this document holds is that it supercedes the previous land use vision plans. It is not any type of law. It is the most current vision by land use planners of what they think should be built. Just because they recommend a certain zoning or height, it doesn't mean that this can't change.

I also like this project. The location still seems kind of arbitrary or random to me. I assume as the surrounding plans start to roll the corridor will end up matching Southaus as opposed to it sticking out. Heck, people thought 3030 South was a crazy idea way back when and were proved wrong.

2inthepink, Land Use Plans are and always have been recommendations for how planners envision an area could develop. They are based on conditions that exist as of the date the plans are written. As we all know, market conditions change.

One other thing to note on page 35 of the plan...the setback from the centerline of the light rail line is 35'.

It looks like you are going to lose this battle, pinkie!!

At the risk of sounding insensitive, it seems that Tradition at New Bern apartments proposed for Foster Ave will likely be scrapped due to the death of the president of the development firm, Steve Walsh.

My condolences to the family, and my disappointment that the most architecturally interesting apartment proposal probably won't happen.

One silo reminds me of a landmark gas tank located off the Expressway in Boston.

101707-gas-tank-aerial.jpgboscam3.jpg

It was one of those urban legend things that the artist has hidden pictures in the artwork. The Ho Chi Minh may have been gone before my time, but I've seen the others "hidden" in there (a wizard and Fred Flintstone). It's coincidence, I am sure, but maybe we'll all find something cool hidden on these silos. Charlotte could use some urban legend.

Charlotte could use some urban legend.

Hah- true...

I can't believe that as large as a project this is and unique for that, they are now looking to go vertical to possibly 250 feet. Too cool to see large midrises this far down S. Blvd. It's really expanding Uptown's horizon. I wonder if the other expansions of mass transit will result in as many mid to highrises as S.Blvd is beginning to see proposed.

I'd also be curious to see how they were treat a building that high. That is a much larger canvas than those silos!

The Silos do look interesting, the only problem with the development is that it's one block away from one of Charlotte's worst public housing projects and a few blocks away from the closest thing to a slum we have in Charlotte; the Brookhill tract.

Are there any plans to bulldoze those terrors? I'm sure it would slice crime rates and be a boon to Wilmore. If a tower is built, I cannot imagine anyone wanting a north-west-ward view.

Edited by moonshield

I am just stoked that we are going to have more public art to look at around town. It's especially needed in that part of town. I have grown to like the Light Rail Onion Rings but we need more fun stuff along the line. Less corporate gray and more vibrancy is always a good thing. Will there be retail in this development?