SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I agree that it looks better. On another note, does anyone else think the massive number of pedestrians in the rendering is hilarious? I especially like the man in the blue shorts crossing in the middle of the street. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I thought it was funny...

Renderings usually do exaggerate a little bit, but I don't think its out of the question that all of these developments could lead to a much more active sidewalk scene through there.

It did bother me, though, on the basis that that intersection blows for pedestrians right now. The corner where construction is is the only one connected by crosswalks, and the fencing forces pedestrians to stand in the streets. I (and most others) end up crossing on the unprotected side, much to the annoyance of people turning left off bland street.

Renderings usually do exaggerate a little bit, but I don't think its out of the question that all of these developments could lead to a much more active sidewalk scene through there.

Very true, but I couldn't imagine that many people wanting to venture to that side of S. Blvd...

I also like the new rendering. It is much more clean, better use of materials, and it has a much more acceptable presence on the corner of S. Blvd and Bland where the retail will be going. If they did a nifty lighting scheme on that corner, it could really be a well defined corner and generate a lot of activity along S. Blvd. It fits much better with everything else in the surrounds and is a lot more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

I agree that it looks better. On another note, does anyone else think the massive number of pedestrians in the rendering is hilarious? I especially like the man in the blue shorts crossing in the middle of the street. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I thought it was funny...

Yes, the number of pedestrans is hilarious. Maybe they're planning to give away free ice cream or something, while stipulating that that it must be eaten on the other side of South Blvd. :lol: That would explain it.

Yes, the number of pedestrans is hilarious. Maybe they're planning to give away free ice cream or something, while stipulating that that it must be eaten on the other side of South Blvd. :lol: That would explain it.

They were doing a fire alarm test that day in renderingland, that can be the only explanation. I think this area has a good chance of attracting pedestrians once the various projects happen, especially the simpson lighting project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is good to hear, and maybe Harris will pick up on the theme for the office and possibly even the residential component to further the theme.

Great to hear, from what i've heard from friends they are a very nice hotel! Hopefully It will be more appealling Architecturally Speaking. I've always wondered why so many brands seem to test out their 1st nationwide products in charlotte (Dean and Deluca (and Dean and Deluca wine room), Aloft, Sierra Hotel, Blake, Kate Spade, Twelve, Anchor Bar, etc.) is it because of our cheap price for land?

More goodies on the project we all love! (especially those who live in Big Pink)...

The street presence looks great (hopefully a lot of that is retail parcels). Looks to even be some room for some outdoor seating for some restaurants:

Perspective%2006.16.2008.JPG

I love this project...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.harrisdevelopmentgroup.com/_imgs/propertyImages/large/Perspectives

The Silos Subdistrict, which is the retail portion on the corner of S. Blvd and Remount is expected to have first openings starting next month. The first to open will be a low-key bar/restaurant that will be local... literally the name is even called Local! These types of local establishments are just what this city needs more of. Can't wait!

Local's website here.

I was more excited until I realized that courtyard is on top of a parking deck. Anyway, I agree, the street does hold some promise. The elevations are pretty meh, though. Looks like a pretty standard LS3P slap-on-some-fins design.

Also, though 1200 isn't responsible for this, not too thrilled about the 7 lanes of traffic pedestrians have to cross down there at Carson & South.

On Carson and South, at least there is now a plan to put a crossing and intersection. Combine that with the median and the much slower traffic with all the new calming and lights across 277, and it will be significantly better for pedestrians in the area.

I think these buildings are just going to be more or less 'just buildings'. Frankly, we need a whole lot more of those that have merit for their density and landuse, but just blend into the urban landscape. A majority of urban buildings throughout the world are just background buildings that just 'fit' but aren't iconic.

I'd say they are attractive, but nothing special, just like half of the other buildings going up. The land use and density, however, are very exciting.

That is very true about the street level. Also, that 10-20 story height is more sustainable and a little bit easier on the street level.

I really enjoy the fact that they've used a more urban sidewalk design, with treewells rather planting strips, and that they let the curve of Carson provide a very wide sidewalk, which can be used for restaurant seating, etc.

Before they start construction on the buildings they have to do some serious utility work on the site first. There is a large water main they have to move.....so at the very earliest construction on the buildings could start a year from now...but I would guess a little bit longer than that before construction starts.

Doug Smith's newest article is stating that they are going to go ahead and start with the office portion of this project before the residential due to the market conditions and a push for office space. Also a mention referred to the 3rd or 4th stage possible tower that was posted recently to be 17 stories,

Doug Smith's newest article is stating that they are going to go ahead and start with the office portion of this project before the residential due to the market conditions and a push for office space. Also a mention referred to the 3rd or 4th stage possible tower that was posted recently to be 17 stories,

I think what we're seeing here is the birth of our own little Peachtree Street!

Edited by Eastman

I don't think anything we've seen yet reflects the final architecture.....I don't believe they've signed a developer for the apartment tower yet, and I'm sure Ambrose will have significant input on the architecture for their tower.

What went to city council and on their website could be described as very general guidelines.