SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

HUGE news for south end retail and center city retail in general. Anthropologie is opening a store at Atherton Mill. What's even potentially more promising is the remaining space at Atherton. Ferguson is in the process of building a 28k showroom on Summit that will free up nearly 8k SqFt for another retailer...Urban Outfitters? Longer term, the gym space seems to be a revolving door, so if that were to vacate, that would open up another 12k SqFt. I've also heard over the years that something will eventually happen with the Yadkin Bank and By Design, so there's potential there. Atherton definitely has potential to be a really cool shopping destination if things were to fall into place right.

I feel like I should be more excited about this. But instead, I feel like two potential retailers we had high hopes for going into uptown, will instead be located in a brick strip mall with a giant parking lot that fronts south boulevard.

Maybe I'm envisioning this poorly. I have mixed feelings about it.

Edited by ah59396

I feel like I should be more excited about this. But instead, I feel like two potential retailers we had high hopes for going into uptown, will instead be located in a brick strip mall with a giant parking lot that fronts south boulevard.

I'm disappointed. When uptown gets retail, then I'll be happy. Sorta like how I was extremely disappointed with the Mint apartments uptown until we got Highrises like Bearden & skyhouse announced, then I came to appreciate the Mint.

So far though, I'm leaning towards short term disappointed, long term excited

The question is what space will it be in and will there be rail trail access. There are pretty cool plans for Atherton along the rail trail.

Camden Southline has leased all but 10 of their apartments in only 16 days of being open. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Quick... Who who do we talk to get this published so the naysayers about the Blue Line eat their words when it comes mass transit influencing development??

• Like 1

Camden Southline has leased all but 10 of their apartments in only 16 days of being open. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Let's not get crazy. I'm sure this means all but 10 that are currently available and ready to be leased, not 256 of 266 units. There are a lot of their units that aren't finished yet and won't be for several months. 

The question is what space will it be in and will there be rail trail access. There are pretty cool plans for Atherton along the rail trail.

They're taking space 80 if you look at the site plan on their website. This is the space at the corner next to Savory Spice Shop. 

Let's not get crazy. I'm sure this means all but 10 that are currently available and ready to be leased, not 256 of 266 units. There are a lot of their units that aren't finished yet and won't be for several months. 

They're taking space 80 if you look at the site plan on their website. This is the space at the corner next to Savory Spice Shop. 

Oops, sorry, I thought it had to be too good to be true. Good that they are having good traction though. 

Space 80, that will be nice. I'm all for retail here, its a historic property and it could also be altered to be somewhat more pedestrian friendly, not to mention its barely 3 blocks from light rail.. I think some good national retail belongs at atherton mill, and there are enough spaces that could eventually turn over into others. 

It would be awesome if something like this were to happen. They could add much needed parking, reduce the SIX points of ingress/egress to three, and create a more urban experience that transitions well into the shop space at Publix. Unfortunately, the tenant mix isn't shaping up to well over there. Super Cuts is the latest addition there. Atherton.jpg

• Like 1

It would be awesome if something like this were to happen. They could add much needed parking, reduce the SIX points of ingress/egress to three, and create a more urban experience that transitions well into the shop space at Publix. Unfortunately, the tenant mix isn't shaping up to well over there. Super Cuts is the latest addition there. Atherton.jpg

How about either a parking deck behind Atherton's Office Condos or underground and expanded buildings fronting south blvd. You could open up the parking area there for a pedestrian plaza and expanded activated retail spaces. Kiosks, maybe a restaurant with a patio in the middle. Like this plaza, I take my staff out to in the Summer for Drinks.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=329+W+49th+St+New+York%2c+NY+10019&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mother+Burger/@40.762278,-73.9876435,200m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c2585132841231:0x810c5bed7a725f05

Your plan works very well as well though.

Edited by Guest

You could, but you already have a left turn lane in from the access between Publix and Atherton now and aligning the drive with McDonald puts you right into the Ice House patio unless you have a quick turn as soon as you turn in. Since the access is SW of McDolald, it's not a "suicide lane" that will potentially cause accidents, so alignment isn't as meaningful. 

How about either a parking deck behind Atherton's Office Condos or underground and expanded buildings fronting south blvd. You could open up the parking area there for a pedestrian plaza and expanded activated retail spaces. Kiosks, maybe a restaurant with a patio in the middle. Like this plaza, I take my staff out to in the Summer for Drinks.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=329+W+49th+St+New+York%2c+NY+10019&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mother+Burger/@40.762278,-73.9876435,200m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c2585132841231:0x810c5bed7a725f05

Your plan works very well as well though.

A deck behind the condos would be ideal, but that parking is a part of the condo association, plus when you factor in the light rail easement area, it's not wide enough. 

Quick... Who who do we talk to get this published so the naysayers about the Blue Line eat their words when it comes mass transit influencing development??

Ah, this post reminded me of the days when Monsoon would rant about how development in South End was incidental and the rail had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Not to defend Monsoon (he even banned me once), but Camden Southline's success is likely more due to Publix than Blue Line, considering how far from any station it is. But indirectly, many of the apartments did go near stations, creating critical mass to support a grocery store. Hence, the greater area would appear to be enjoying a virtuous cycle of urban infill near stations and in-between.

Even if doing an offset left at McDonald, they should still widen for a left turn lane and pedestrian island.

It's a very slow day in the office...

Atherton%202.jpg

I think this would be a great idea. If anyone has ever tried to make a left onto South after leaving Chipotle, it's dangerous and also very time consuming. 

I think some good national retail belongs at atherton mill, and there are enough spaces that could eventually turn over into others. 

How about some good local retail? Charlotte has many good local shops, but they're all spread too far apart.  I've been working in Jacksonville, FL for the past three weeks and they have the most awesome collection of dense commercial areas from the 20s and 30s.  All have architecturally interesting storefronts, no vacancies, contain mostly local retailers and restauranteurs, and have diagonal on-street parking (obviously diagonal parking wouldn't work on South Blvd, but you get my drift). I desperately want Charlotte to somehow get more of the Commonwealth Ave treatment.  Critical mass where you can take transit to one stop, or drive your car to one parking spot, and then walk, shop, dine, and drink without it having to be contrived ala Metropolitan.  Is that really too much to ask?

Edited by Miesian Corners

Has anyone noticed that the Mayesh Florist building on Summit across from where Wooden Robot will be has been flattened? I looked back a few pages in this forum and didn't see anything about it. Surprising since you guys usually catch everything before I do. Does anyone know what is going in there? Construction equipment is onsite, but not sure if that is just for the demolition or if it has to do with new construction.

That being said, the next post will probably refer to a previous post that I didn't see from someone referring to what I am talking about. That's been my luck on this forum lately, though I love you all anyway, even when you point out I'm late to the game. :)

Has anyone noticed that the Mayesh Florist building on Summit across from where Wooden Robot will be has been flattened? I looked back a few pages in this forum and didn't see anything about it. Surprising since you guys usually catch everything before I do. Does anyone know what is going in there? Construction equipment is onsite, but not sure if that is just for the demolition or if it has to do with new construction.

That being said, the next post will probably refer to a previous post that I didn't see from someone referring to what I am talking about. That's been my luck on this forum lately, though I love you all anyway, even when you point out I'm late to the game. :)

Its in here somewhere. It will be a new showroom for Ferguson Bath, Kitchen and Lighting. Kinda a disappointing announcement, but hey, every good urban neighborhood needs a little of everything.

Its in here somewhere. It will be a new showroom for Ferguson Bath, Kitchen and Lighting. Kinda a disappointing announcement, but hey, every good urban neighborhood needs a little of everything.

Yep I brought it up but its my luck that my posts tend to always end up last on a page, so they're easy to miss :D  

It's a really big site they cleared, is this showroom taking all of it? Hard to imagine it would be a cost-effective use of space if it all gets a single use unless this is one massive showroom. 

Ferguson has a very nice interior design in their Atherton building (considering the established limitations) with evening kitchen/cooking demonstrations and lots of professional help when I have been there. They certainly push their more expensive brands and designs, as one would expect. I hope that a fresh building will give them the opportunity to make this same design statement from the outside in.