SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Yes. Though it looks a lot better since the work done to it. I could actually envision patios being built in these loading areas and RDF was indicating that retail/restaurant was the aim for some of the spaces.

retail, office and a cooking school. At least that's what I was told *shrug*

Bids went out this past week for the Ram site on Worthington and Camden (across from Design Center). 24-26 story apartments with retail per a source. Could be South End's new tallest.

3fe8310cbb2566dd9ed57f92a9808c03.jpg

As awesome as that is, and as hilarious as RDFs picture is, I gotta say, more apartments? Da F? Maybe condos eventually?

Anything above 7 floors inherently has a chance at condos. Just because construction is generally concrete, stick built doesn't make good condos.

See: 5th and Poplar. But just to confirm. This is the parking lot site right? Behind the building UPS is in?

8 floors, concrete and Masonry and yes the design center parking lot I'm assuming.

Edited by Guest

8 floors, concrete and Masonry and yes the design center parking lot I'm assuming.

My friend's Dad owns the UPS store and has been telling me for a while that the parking lot behind him was going to be the tower site.  I'm excited to see the renderings!

I wonder why nothing's been submitted to Accela yet? I guess it's probably coming soon.

Site is UMUD and was previously approved for 10 floor hotel and 22 floor condo tower. Might not need to go in front of the planning committee.

^^ That's at the corner of Palmer and Church right?

Yep. 

I'm looking for the old renderings of what was originally going to go at Worthington and Camden. They are buried somewhere on my old computer, but I'm looking at Google Simultaneously LOL.

Yep. 

I'm looking for the old renderings of what was originally going to go at Worthington and Camden. They are buried somewhere on my old computer, but I'm looking at Google Simultaneously LOL.

http://www.dasarchitecture.com/projects/mix-100-worthington.asp

The hotel fronting West Blvd was always the coolest part of this proposal.

I have no idea if RAM is still going with DAS Architecture on their new proposal, but the developer is the same as the one that the above renderings were for.

• Like 1

So I dropped by the new Publix at maybe 8 last night on the way back from Latta Arcade. It was actually the first time I've been IN a Publix location period; pretty much how I'd expected in the way of product offerings, a lot like the newer Ingles in Dallas and Lincolnton, expansive and a lot of choice/care paid to the "made-in-house" departments. Bakery's nice only compared to other comparable mid-to-upper tier grocers, an actual dessertery would best it easily. Word of warning, if you park in one of the two levels under the store bring noseplugs, the smell (I don't know enough about construction to place its source) is overpowering. Hope this leaves fast the more air gets to the materials.

I'm mostly glad it's there. Hard to believe it's the only mega-grocer in South End for the time being, and standing on its corner with the (half)-urban Lowe's next door reminds me how even quasi-regard for spacial issues can make a real "place" out of what are still at heart suburban staples.

I hope we don't see a large chain movie theater in Southend any time soon. There is clearly not strict enough guidelines for developers to follow. Once we have guidelines that require structured parking and discourage surface parking, I am okay with it. When places like Fountains at New Bern and Junction 1504 exist in this world... I don't have high hopes for a movie theater being built to an acceptable urban standard.

If a better standard were in place, and if we could get retail topped with a movie theater, topped with apartments/condos with underground parking at the food truck lot, or on Camden and Worthington, then I'd be okay. Otherwise, no thanks.

I hope we don't see a large chain movie theater in Southend any time soon. There is clearly not strict enough guidelines for developers to follow. Once we have guidelines that require structured parking and discourage surface parking, I am okay with it. When places like Fountains at New Bern and Junction 1504 exist in this world... I don't have high hopes for a movie theater being built to an acceptable urban standard.

If a better standard were in place, and if we could get retail topped with a movie theater, topped with apartments/condos with underground parking at the food truck lot, or on Camden and Worthington, then I'd be okay. Otherwise, no thanks.

Regal actually has a pretty good track record with owning boutique theaters in urban areas, but I will caveat that they have kind of gotten away from that lately. And yeah most AMCs and Regals are in burb-y areas, but they're actually starting to do a great job with cafe/bar type establishments in the theaters. The Concord Mills AMC built a bar and I BELIEVE is serving local beers. Now yes, I would MUCH rather see something like an Alamo Drafthouse than an AMC in South End, but those chains are heading in the right direction.

Movie ticket sales, obviously isn't making the money for the chains like it used to so they are turning to new methods (alcohol) to make money. It can work :) plus I'm tired of having to go to Northlake or Concord to get my IMAX fix