SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

The description of the grocery store out on South Blvd has been changed to MPG South Boulevard. Since MGP Retail Consulting LLC is the company representing LIDL's site acquisition, I can 100% confirm that this will be Charlotte's first Lidl. I had already heard from a contact of mine that this would be a 33k lidl with parking fronting South Blvd, I just wanted to be 100% certain, now I am. Let the grocery store wars begin.

Where on south blvd will this be exactly?

The description of the grocery store out on South Blvd has been changed to MPG South Boulevard. Since MGP Retail Consulting LLC is the company representing LIDL's site acquisition, I can 100% confirm that this will be Charlotte's first Lidl. I had already heard from a contact of mine that this would be a 33k lidl with parking fronting South Blvd, I just wanted to be 100% certain, now I am. Let the grocery store wars begin.

Is this Radio Center across from the LRT service yard?

The description of the grocery store out on South Blvd has been changed to MPG South Boulevard. Since MGP Retail Consulting LLC is the company representing LIDL's site acquisition, I can 100% confirm that this will be Charlotte's first Lidl. I had already heard from a contact of mine that this would be a 33k lidl with parking fronting South Blvd, I just wanted to be 100% certain, now I am. Let the grocery store wars begin.

Does this Bode well for the rumors of Lidl anchoring Tryon Place?

The Radio Center is funky looking and interesting.  It makes me sick that the city is going to let it get demoed for a parking lot fronting South Blvd, ACROSS THE STREET from the freaking light rail facility.  TOD in Charlotte at its finest.  Hopefully representatives in South End fight tooth and nail to make Lidl submit something urban.  I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

The Radio Center is funky looking and interesting. It makes me sick that the city is going to let it get demoed for a parking lot fronting South Blvd, ACROSS THE STREET from the freaking light rail facility. TOD in Charlotte at its finest. Hopefully representatives in South End fight tooth and nail to make Lidl submit something urban. I won't hold my breath.

I think they are working well within the zoning of this site, that's the problem, the city needs to do a wholesale rezoning of everything within a 1/2 mile of the light rail.

If it's of any consolation, Little is the architect of their US stores, and the first few that open, this included, should have a funky, bright and modern design, at least supposedly.

I think they are working well within the zoning of this site, that's the problem, the city needs to do a wholesale rezoning of everything within a 1/2 mile of the light rail.

If it's of any consolation, Little is the architect of their US stores, and the first few that open, this included, should have a funky, bright and modern design, at least supposedly.

I have faith in Little, so hopefully the building looks good.  But adding another parking lot on South Blvd anywhere from Scaleybark station north into Uptown is pathetic and frustrates the crap out of me.

Hopefully representatives in South End fight tooth and nail to make Lidl submit something urban.  I won't hold my breath.

Does Southend / Sedgefield / Colonial Village even have a neighborhood association? Even if they do, have any of those assotiations ever pay attention to the Boulevard?

Perhaps its time for a UP SuperPac for lobbying on urban design issues.

Does Southend / Sedgefield / Colonial Village even have a neighborhood association? Even if they do, have any of those assotiations ever pay attention to the Boulevard?

I'm in! SuperPac it up! 

I have faith in Little, so hopefully the building looks good.  But adding another parking lot on South Blvd anywhere from Scaleybark station north into Uptown is pathetic and frustrates the crap out of me.

Would it frustrate you more to know that there is a restaurant with a drive through planned directly across the street from Scaleybark station?

the city needs to do a wholesale rezoning of everything within a 1/2 mile of the light rail. .

I honestly thought the city did that back in 2004? (ahead of Blue Line construction). Or was that just 1/4 mile? I kinda had the feeling based on Southend's growth that the city just decided to ignore the station area zoning.

Third step for the UrbanQueen PAC (after fundraising and the remediation of South blvd) is to hire the guys from Greenville SC and some Spanish subway tunnel builder guys (to advocate tunneling the gold and Silver lines under trade street).

Edited by kermit

Would it frustrate you more to know that there is a restaurant with a drive through planned directly across the street from Scaleybark station?

On the Pappas side or Crosland?  Frustrating either way, but I wonder when anything is going to happen on the Crosland side of the street.  At least Pappas seems ready to move forward and his plan didn't look to have a drive-through style place.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Sedgefield has a neighborhood association, but a lot of the residents seem to oppose the density and potential traffic(!!!) increases.  The neighborhood association seems more concerned about finding ways to discourage people from cutting from South Blvd to Park via Marsh than encouraging urban development along the light rail.

Sedgefield has a neighborhood association, but a lot of the residents seem to oppose the density and potential traffic(!!!) increases.  The neighborhood association seems more concerned about finding ways to discourage people from cutting from South Blvd to Park via Marsh than encouraging urban development along the light rail.

Or actually using one of these roads as a cut through to prevent that use on other roads.

Southend has Historic Southend (which is comprised of business owners) and also Southend Neighborhood Association (comprised of Residents, some who happen to own local businesses).  SENA is a relatively new association and is trying to get a footing as the neighborhood develops.   I recently joined and they are looking for more members to help be activists for the community.  We have been having social functions and been working with Charlotte to implement a station at Publix.  http://www.southendneighborhood.com/index.html

• Like 3

Southend has Historic Southend (which is comprised of business owners) and also Southend Neighborhood Association (comprised of Residents, some who happen to own local businesses).  SENA is a relatively new association and is trying to get a footing as the neighborhood develops.   I recently joined and they are looking for more members to help be activists for the community.  We have been having social functions and been working with Charlotte to implement a station at Publix.  http://www.southendneighborhood.com/index.html

Can I join, despite being geographically impaired?

Been following along for a while but this will be my first post...

Colonial Village (behind Northwood Ravin/Crosland Greens) does have an association. Like with any neighborhood over 50 years, we have some folks that are pro-development and some that don't want anything to change. However, since all the land has been zoned TOD or B, most developers don't need to have the land rezoned again to build what they want. So the neighborhoods adjacent to the space have little say in what goes there.(Also, no one knows who we are, we are only about 350 homes, and our house prices aren't super high... So we really have no say!)

Myself and others have reached out to Pappas and Northwood Ravin to inquire about both sites at Scaleybark, but since they don't need our support to get any approvals, they don't tell us anything. I'd love to be involved more and hear more, but you guys are where I get most of my news.

Our association has worked with Sedgefield before on things and would love to work with other nearby associations to try to improve the design/land use along the rail.

All that being said, would love to hear more about Pappas' plans and/or what darn drive thru is slated across from the Pappas site as soon as anyone is willing to share... :)

Been following along for a while but this will be my first post...

Colonial Village (behind Northwood Ravin/Crosland Greens) does have an association. Like with any neighborhood over 50 years, we have some folks that are pro-development and some that don't want anything to change. However, since all the land has been zoned TOD or B, most developers don't need to have the land rezoned again to build what they want. So the neighborhoods adjacent to the space have little say in what goes there.(Also, no one knows who we are, we are only about 350 homes, and our house prices aren't super high... So we really have no say!)

Myself and others have reached out to Pappas and Northwood Ravin to inquire about both sites at Scaleybark, but since they don't need our support to get any approvals, they don't tell us anything. I'd love to be involved more and hear more, but you guys are where I get most of my news.

Our association has worked with Sedgefield before on things and would love to work with other nearby associations to try to improve the design/land use along the rail.

All that being said, would love to hear more about Pappas' plans and/or what darn drive thru is slated across from the Pappas site as soon as anyone is willing to share... :)

Restaurant

Propose to construct two buildings: one will be a quick-serve restaurant with drive-thru, the second building not yet determined. One driveway is proposed on South Blvd, as well as a rear driveway on Weona Ave. Project will also include parcel 14905451, currently a wooded, undeveloped parcel. The properties could be re-platted in some manner for the two new buildings.

post-17104-0-24832500-1424904045_thumb.p

The center of this picture with the Red around it is the lot in question.

Welcome to URBAN PLANET VTinCV.

Does your Username mean you are from Vermont and live in Colonial Village?

Edit: 

Also to give everyone an idea of the companies the submitting company has worked with in the past. 

post-17104-0-59159900-1424904317_thumb.p

So basically we lost South21 and are getting a Fast Food Restaurant.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the info. Happy to see dirt move around here, but (like everyone else on here) wishes it would be a little more urban/pedestrian friendly and aesthetically pleasing.

I'm a Hokie living in Colonial Village... And very lousy when it comes to user names, so hence my not very creative name. :)

Thanks for the info. Happy to see dirt move around here, but (like everyone else on here) wishes it would be a little more urban/pedestrian friendly and aesthetically pleasing.

I'm a Hokie living in Colonial Village... And very lousy when it comes to user names, so hence my not very creative name. :)

The Sedgefield development will be a game changer for that area, and a real catalyst. The drawings I've seen are pretty decent quality, and at least a B in aesthetics, and it should be a nice place to stroll around, especially since they are trying to keep as many of the mature trees intact as possible. Lets just hope it all comes to fruition. 1000 homes where barely 200 sit today is huge. I wish someone would plop the Morningside Village of Old onto this spot.

Edited by Guest

I have spoken with Marsh Properties concerning Sedgefield Center and I agree with you that it will be a game changer. They seem to care what the adjacent neighborhoods think (even came to our association meeting last year) and have adjusted plans per the neighbor's comments. I'm more worried about the infill between there and Scaleybark. (Like the drive thru and whatever else is coming).

I have spoken with Marsh Properties concerning Sedgefield Center and I agree with you that it will be a game changer. They seem to care what the adjacent neighborhoods think (even came to our association meeting last year) and have adjusted plans per the neighbor's comments. I'm more worried about the infill between there and Scaleybark. (Like the drive thru and whatever else is coming).

Honestly I find it very short sited that the property owner went for Two restaurants, one of which will have a drive through. With the coming Scaleybark Station Project, their property values will only go up. Someone will be tearing down this fast food restaurant in 10 years to build higher density. Then again maybe thats the idea, earn some revenue off your holdings while you wait for it to be sellable. The owner of this property is still the owner of South 21, maybe fast food is just "All he knows"

Edited by Guest

HUGE news for south end retail and center city retail in general. Anthropologie is opening a store at Atherton Mill. What's even potentially more promising is the remaining space at Atherton. Ferguson is in the process of building a 28k showroom on Summit that will free up nearly 8k SqFt for another retailer...Urban Outfitters? Longer term, the gym space seems to be a revolving door, so if that were to vacate, that would open up another 12k SqFt. I've also heard over the years that something will eventually happen with the Yadkin Bank and By Design, so there's potential there. Atherton definitely has potential to be a really cool shopping destination if things were to fall into place right.