Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Uptown is getting a Chipotle. I am v excited. Where Rite Aid used to be. 

*preps for anti chain internet warriors*

No jihadist here. Since they are likely to be open after 6 I would say this is a pretty good choice for that Tryon st frontage.

The explosion of office space on S Tryon is going to send lunch demand through the roof -- at least Chipoltle is good at moving people through the line quickly.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, kermit said:

No jihadist here. Since they are likely to be open after 6 I would say this is a pretty good choice for that Tryon st frontage.

The explosion of office space on S Tryon is going to send lunch demand through the roof -- at least Chipoltle is good at moving people through the line quickly.

yep.  Hate losing a pharmacy, but this is a giant upgrade to lunch options (along with nearby potbelleys)

22 hours ago, Desert Power said:

yep.  Hate losing a pharmacy, but this is a giant upgrade to lunch options (along with nearby potbelleys)

As busy as the Walgreens in BofA Plaza stays, I bet we see another pharmacy on South Tryon somewhere. Maybe even the 'express' Walgreens where they have most things but lack a Full service Pharmacy.

31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

2. in historic Johnston Bldg comes a Starbucks and Chopt 

This is super cool! Anything using historic buildings is a +1.

However I am hoping they build the entrance onto the sidewalk. Otherwise it's just a building employee amenity.bim not sure whether there are rules about this building, historically-speaking.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Are we sure this isn't from The Onion?  This is the most ridiculous reading I have seen in a LONG time.  I'm sorry, I cannot even prod myself to even remotely want to listen to this.  GOFUNDME from UP to buy up all the land from him and develop it ourselves!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I listened to the whole thing, and have mixed feelings.

Daniel seems to really get it - says the right things, and seems to understand planning challenges and the weight of his decisions. And he clearly has a love for our city. He seems to WANT to develop the land. 

My issue with Daniel is he seems to be all talk, no action. He seems to be waiting for the development to come to him and his many acres. I get the sense he's unable to secure financing or he isn't willing to risk developing all of the land himself. Which is why he sold the one tract to Lennar. This interview was over 9 months ago and there's been no action on the parking garage or redesigned apartments since that time. I just wish he would either do something or sell off more land. He's holding first ward hostage at this point and stunting its potential. He even says in the interview he can't take the risks because he's his company's fiduciary, and they're actively looking for more joint venture projects...

Edited by Urban Cowboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Not sure if it is the Jazz Festival but the huge amount of families with kids Uptown in the middle of lunch hour was pretty cool to see.

The attached image is from last night, but today around lunch the scene was almost identical.

image.thumb.png.7db5e512702b0fd7a514085e0e3c8f31.png

Its for the like month of celebration they are doing for the 250 year anniversary of the city.

5 hours ago, Scribe said:

Not sure if it is the Jazz Festival but the huge amount of families with kids Uptown in the middle of lunch hour was pretty cool to see.

The attached image is from last night, but today around lunch the scene was almost identical.

image.thumb.png.7db5e512702b0fd7a514085e0e3c8f31.png

CMS and Union county schools were all out today for the Teacher March in Raleigh. While I think families will continue to come Uptown this weekend I expect you will see a bit of a drop off in attendance. 

• Like 1