Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

21 minutes ago, Crown said:

via business journal 

Charlotte-based Crescent Communities, in a joint venture with investment manager Nuveen Real Estate, says it has acquired the 101 North Tryon building in uptown, a 20-story, 546,878-square-foot tower at the northwest corner of Trade and Tryon streets.

This building was marketed with development potential on top of the deck. Explains why Crescent is in the deal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

This building was marketed with development potential on top of the deck. Explains why Crescent is in the deal.

Does "on top of the deck" here mean the Ivey's garage that was mentioned a few posts up?  I had heard that the deal in 2015 was marketed with that same intent, which (to my knowledge) has not gone anywhere as of yet.

Also, here's hoping the new ownership group does something about the ground floor retail.  The vast majority of the retail spaces in the building are vacant...

7 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Has that atrium always been there at Independence tower?  If a new tower does go up at the deck, could be neat to have that removed and be open air.  That space seems to be really under utilized in the atrium (especially being right off of Trade/Tryon). 

The atrium was remodeled/built up after the 2015 deal, but the two buildings (101 North Tryon and Marriott) have always been connected.  It was also remodeled in part through the massive Marriott redesign that started a couple years before the 2015 sale of 101.

10 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Has that atrium always been there at Independence tower?  If a new tower does go up at the deck, could be neat to have that removed and be open air.  That space seems to be really under utilized in the atrium (especially being right off of Trade/Tryon). 

I believe the plan back in 2015 was to have the Atrium opened up but they could not do it for whatever reason.

43 minutes ago, Jasons0013 said:

I believe the plan back in 2015 was to have the Atrium opened up but they could not do it for whatever reason.

If you remove it, it creates a massive wind tunnel, amplifying wind by 2-3x. Engineers were unable to mitigate this issue I suppose. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Hmm and look what just happened Crescent bought this building 101 N Tryon with Nuveen    Keep a watch on that deck and this building.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/17/crescent-communities-nuveen-acquire-uptown-tower.html

Would be a great site for US Bank since  they will most likely need a new home.  In a two-three block area of town, we have two of the nation’s bank HQ and large operations from a third.....not bad for the square.

Maybe a 30 story office building topped by a 25 story hotel topped by a 20 story apartment building.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

Kjh needs to go out of town so we can get that condo announcement :w00t:

dont worry I have multiple small and 1 long trips planned for the summer.  Raleigh, Augusta, HHI, and the ATL,  Savannah, Ashvegas to name a few.  I am going to eat the Angus Barn again up in Raleigh this summer some time LOL 

In other development news look at this article a tower could happen there according to new owners Crescent from this article

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/17/crescent-communities-nuveen-acquire-uptown-tower.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

While I am generally very pro-alcohol something about this just seems.... wrong......

I think thats a reasonable change for a small amount of time. Atlanta passed a similar time last call for the Super Bowl. Georgia doesn't have a statewide last call and there are 24 hour beer sales in Atlanta, 245 last call and some 24 hour locations so it not as large of a change. There was actually a decline of crime during the Super Bowl week, while visitors had a great time (a 50,000 person Foo Fighters concert lasted till 2:30am) and bars and restaurants made a ton of extra money.

• Like 2

I know they only acquired the air rights, but after years of exposure, and increase value in office space, is it possible and does it make more sense to tear down the old deck and build a 30-40 story building from scratch?

The deck will absolutely be torn down. Probably soon. Bye bye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk