Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

^ That 1 lonely kid isn't getting me jazzed about the Carosel, but maybe....didn't Land Design initially pencil one into the 2nd Ward plan?  Also, if I remember correctly, it could be removed in the winter, and the area be frozen for a skating rink, but maybe I'm imagining things.

I think the idea of only attracting young professionals is horribly short sighted.  Think of it this way, not too many young professionals would avoid uptown if there were more family friendly things to do, but more families would avoid uptown if it just a corporate offices, fine art museums, and bars/sushi restaurants.

In the grand scheme, the role of Uptown should be an amabassador to the region as a whole.  To the extent that people visiting enjoy Uptown, the more likely they are to want to relocate to the region.  Limiting that to "young professionals" means while you may be able to attract a young, but comparatively unskilled workforce, a broader appeal Uptown means Execs might feel good about relocating their families to the region.

In a slightly less grand scheme, if we are serious about preventing urban sprawl, how is it worthwile to make the most urban part of town focused on childless professionals, who, as they mature, will realize the a suburban lifestyle makes more sense given the general lack of benefit of living in an urban part of the city with children....in other words, no family is going to want to live downtown unless they see lots of other families with kids in strollers/playgrounds/ice cream shops/carosels/etc.

^Just for the record - I didn't advocate exclusively for young professionals at the expense of families. That said - Young professionals ARE what have brought back city centers.  That is a fact.  Like it or not.  They are more likely to be the money and lifeblood to a city center at all hours.

I really think there is a discussion that is trying to be had here in a vacuum that ignores the existing options for people with young children and thinking that everything has to be crammed inside the 277 or else Charlotte is ignoring people with kids.

If Charlotte didn't have what it already has for families inside the 277, and didn't make an effort to have family events, and if it was already full of street retail and apartments and office buildings that I think are more needed for the health of Center City I would be more sympathetic. 

P.S. I'm more middle aged than Young professional so I certainly don't fit in with the bar crowd just in case there is a perception that I am arguing in pure self interest.

EDIT - Maybe this would clarify my position as I think it is being misunderstood as a 20 something center city playground.

I actually would prefer if the center city had more ADULT (no not xxx) entertainment options over just young professionals.  We have enough hipster type bars or 20 something bars inside the loop.  What we don't have is adult blues and jazz clubs and quiet conversation bars.  We don't have enough late night coffee houses.  We don't have art film/Independent film movie theatres. We don't have enough adult bistros for dining out that aren't Chima type "event" restaurants.   We don't have real shopping.  If we want to talk about CHarlotte Center city as a gateway - then let it be that for those who seek those options as well

Just as I said for the family argument - I accept that it can't all be inside the 277 loop.  But I do think those options are even less available than children's options already and would rather see that demographic entertainment options have some focused over just yet another theme attraction as in an Aquarium. 

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 1

I think if we don't have an aquarium, Nashville should. Maybe even Raleigh. I don't have kids and I love aquariums & zoos. I've been to the River Banks zoo in Columbia way more than Zoo Atlanta. I think there's room for another aquarium in the region that's in a large City. I think an Aquarium would attract a lot of tourist more so than the art museums and HOF.

There is plenty of land for towers in Uptown. Plenty. If I were to pick a master plan for "North Tryon" it'd be to create a retail shopping district or retail "village" anchored by something unique. Or a retail district with a round about with a large/cool/funky circular water feature in the center of the round about. (if that makes sense)

Something like these but obviously to fit in with uptown, and anchored by a taller building and lots of neon signs and retail (it's downtown Troy Ohio)

http://www.google.com/search?q=troy+ohio+downtown&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SFCzUqSXA9DmkAesr4CYDA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=480&bih=208#biv=i%7C1%3Bd%7CbmDMqeZVIhpnhM%3A

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

A retail village would be absolutely fantastic in that area. Honestly, that would probably be the best use of it IMO. There is plenty of space for towers, without a doubt. We all crave retail uptown and an entire area dedicated would really spur life into that area of uptown as well as remedy our lack of retail issues...

On the subject of Columbus and catering to a specific crowd, rethinking my position because downtown columbus is mostly professional geared and its a ghost town (kind of like uptown) during non-business hours.

I have 3 kids, my partner has 2, we've taken them all to Uptown a few times.  We've drug them through the museums, mixed results.  Started out at the Discovery, they balked, we left, Imaginon, eh, okish, didnt stay long.  Beyond that, they like walking and playing occasionally, there are actually quite a few places to do so, several fountains, churchyards, random statues and huge balls, you get the idea.  And ample options to feed them while mommy and daddy have a beer, at the same time.  We'll do a show at the Blumenthal if its appropriate, they are long since tired of zoos, the only thing I can think of that they/we are missing is a mass of performers and places to perform, right on the streets, a la many cities in Europe.  And not sure how you duplicate that.  Oh, and they'd get a big thrill out of going to the top of a tall spire, that'd be good for years before it got dull.

And I love coming to Charlotte with no kids, I'd say its pretty complete, only thing I miss from my Austin days is a full robust choice of live music places, Blues/Jazz in particular, and comfortable ones at that.

Hell, lets just build a Dave and Busters (or better), I'm really not sure just how much of that is said in jest.

The idea should be pitched to discovery place. It'd be a free feature outside the door. Would inspire people to go inside. Try to get a suggestion into whoever runs it. My dad was the original GC when it was built, maybe he knows people there still.

I would be delighted if one of my fantastical ideas came to fruition. 

Now does anybody have a contact in chocolate factories and/or glass space elevators?  I've got another idea.

I might just know a guy...

Things that people can "play" in are always fun, possibly something interactive involving audio, visual or especially musical. It's be really neat to partner with a foreign city to put up two video boards showing eachother the city squares. You could walk up to it and in real time wave or even talk to people walking around in say, Birmingham UK or Melbourne AU. It would give our city an international connection and a little flair, plus I can't imagine it's be overtly expensive. It would also give children (and some adults who need it) the opportunity to interact with and view another culture in real time.

If you could talk to someone walking along the street in Melbourne right now, what would you ask them? How about two children? What questions would they have for one another? And more importantly, what could they learn.

You could have it sponsored by a major telecommunications company for further reduced costs and just make sure an security guard or police officer was present to make sure everything was "appropriate".

Even better, make it multiple cities and rotate throughout the day with a big board showing time frames. Want to see Mosows Red Square in "live time"? Be here from 6pm until 8:30pm.

I'll ask the stupid question - how does one "police" this?  As a teenager I probably would have had a little "fun" with something like this, can imagine others doing the same.  I wonder how many more "words" I can wrap in quotation marks.

I'll ask the stupid question - how does one "police" this?  As a teenager I probably would have had a little "fun" with something like this, can imagine others doing the same.  I wonder how many more "words" I can wrap in quotation marks.

Isn't Jerry Orr looking for a job.  He would be great!  Sitting in a folding lawn chair wearing suspenders and shaking his fists at the kids about who they are or are not allowed to use HIS Interactive video wall?

Or we just let the masses be warts and all which is what I would prefer.

Sorry, I'll try to post in a fashion that meets your approval in the future.

Isn't Jerry Orr looking for a job.  He would be great!  Sitting in a folding lawn chair wearing suspenders and shaking his fists at the kids about who they are or are not allowed to use HIS Interactive video wall?

Or we just let the masses be warts and all which is what I would prefer.

Yeah, that would be the true social experiment.  Just let it be as is.

• Like 1

^ That's DC's Chinatown! We have the best Spanish, Irish, Japanese, American, Barbecue, Mexican, Indian, and Italian food there. Oh and also like two Chinese restaurants on random side streets. Truthfully though, a restaurant cluster would be a huge draw. There's not much (anything?) beyond Rock Bottom.

You are correct sir!

Whenever we take the redline to the Verizon Center or International Spy Museum (love this place!) we always stroll through Chinatown.

There's always something fun/interesting to see, hear, smell, eat, drink or buy in Chinatown.

Not to mention the backroom Death Rabbit fights!

tumblr_lqilv4BF151qzs7ooo1_500.jpg

*extra points if you know the reference for this.

Edited by RVA2CLT
  • Like 2