Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

8 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

The operators continue with the lurching speed up/slow down randomly type of driving. It's really ridiculous.

My suspicion is that it's a lot of new, inexperienced drivers. I've seen a lot of what appears to be new drivers getting "ride alongs" in the cab. Training I would imagine.

There is one driver I get about 10% of the time in the afternoon rush, smooth as silk and chatty (and clear) on the PA.

3 minutes ago, southslider said:

And the same price to park at entirely full JW Clay as large and empty UCB???

It seems to me that they should leave UC Blvd free for now to encourage people to use it instead of the packed JW Clay. That said, they are both free as long as you do not exit between 3-6 PM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

Probably so that UNCC Students don't use this as an extension of campus parking.

This ^^^...

The university makes a ton of money on parking fees. So, they had to make sure there was no "free" parking available nearby -- especially when you could hop onto the Blue Line and ride one stop on to campus.

14 hours ago, davidclt said:

There is one driver I get about 10% of the time in the afternoon rush, smooth as silk and chatty (and clear) on the PA.

It would be great if CATS could develop a more easily accessible mechanism for customer comments (other than the email address [email protected]), because it would be great for you to be able to ID exceptionally good drivers like the one you mentioned.

IMO too often the genuinely best service providers aren't appropriately recognized--and in this case, in addition to perhaps a good review, raise and/or something like--it would be ideal if s/he were recognized within CATS as an excellent driver and even promoted as a master trainer/evaluator... 

• Like 2

This site has developed with new members over the years but I recall the issue of parking costs for UNCC adjacent (or near) decks would need a toll of some kind to avoid an extension of campus parking. Also to keep space for real commuters. A search back 2-3 years would find this discussion, and now it closes the circle.

There really are a lot of students who just ride that one stop, but a lot of them also finish their classes before 3 PM or will hang around and work on assignments or something until after 6 PM to avoid paying. As it is, the 3-6 PM exit charges mostly impact business people who take the light rail Uptown.  Why not just make it to where having a valid ticket (even a one way) is required for exit any time of day? That way the students who just ride one stop would still have to pay something. That said, paying the extra $2.20 for a $6.60 day pass still makes more sense than paying an extra $10 to exit. I can’t imagine anybody paying the $10 unless they just lost their ticket or were trying to get away without paying and got caught.

• Thanks 1

Why not phase out the UNC Charlotte All Access pass if they really want to ensure everyone who uses the deck purchases a day pass or consider revising how much the all access pass costs. This plan to check drivers exiting the deck between 3 - 6pm will not do any favors with the rider's perception of CATS. 

50 minutes ago, kermit said:

Decided to board at 25th st today just for fun (the passion about the Brevard no-parking signs inspired me). Much to my surprise someone was getting off the train as I was getting on.

I will say that the 10 second door delay is still ridiculous, and (mathematically) adds two extra minutes on the CTC to UNCC commute.  ITS POINTLESS!

Track conditions on the BLE are bad. There have been significant slow orders in effect for just South of Old Concord and the elevated tracks adjacent to UNCC main. Also saw ballast-moving trackwork near Parkwood earlier in the week.

304B9391-8A9B-4A61-849B-B9D6817FFA9D.jpeg

Cool view though.

How's that bridge to the OG coming along?

34 minutes ago, southslider said:

OG?

The original NoDa brewing. That’s how they decided to refer to it.

DIFFERENT SUBJECT (auto merge is weird)

CATS replace all of the art-glass stuff in the shelters at Tom Hunter earlier in the week I think every panel had been shattered since at least May

Its Friday and all of them are still in good shape.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:55 PM, Desert Power said:

They are hoping to get an approved bid done by October (I emailed them a few weeks ago since the site is still out of date)

Wow, they actually replied? I've sent about 4 emails in the last 8mo and not a peep as a reply.